Grado Fan Club!
Jan 3, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #29,836 of 65,854
I see one one, get excited, then see the price

Their prices are more like this! 
eek.gif

Jan 3, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #29,838 of 65,854
th

Jan 3, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #29,839 of 65,854
Almost all prices in Europe are shocking compared to these in US. PS1000e are 1699GBP = 2505$. Yes, 2505 US dollars. GH-1 are 650GBP , that's why I'm so sad I missed these for 395GBP "like new" condition. And never such a great deal here, like Sony UDA-1 for 200$, in UK the bes price is 300GBP. But that is the reality, this is the life, the music is more important than the prices.
My first and only Grados where SR80 and I liked them very much, with quarter mod, (with L-cush they where shrilling). Now I want few mid tier Grados like RS2e, PS500e or GH-1, but I have to wait a good deals on ebay. This is the good old  Europe ... :) 

Jan 3, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #29,840 of 65,854
  I also read that thread a while ago - its very uselful! 

Do you still own the 225e or have you upgraded? 

I've had mine for a few month now and have so far resisted upgraditis... If I where it would be for the RS2e.     

I still have the 225e and didn't buy any more yet. I think the RS2e is the target hedphone, but you never know what will transpire.

I got sidetracked by active speakers. I already had a reasonable quality 2.1 system. Long story but I needed a different speaker system. I found that when I listened to speakers it was like a rest from headphone listening. I preferred the SR225e with everything. However I needed the break now and again and found desktop speaker listening pleasant. Therefor I talked myself into some pretty good active speakers for my desktop.

That is odd isn't it that the 1000i (so far) sounds better then the e series by that much. I hope it does turn around soon, otherwise it would appear Grado again made a negative improvement when going from the i to the e series with another phone. I was thinking of getting a 1000e but have since changed my mind and am going for the RS2e instead but I am still interested to see how this ends up.

For me the difference is so clear between the GS1000i (better) and the GS1000e (worse) that I am tempted to

1) Start burning my GS1000e constantly, not just when I am actually listening to it, to accelerate its improvement to some point of convergence, and

2) Compare the borrowed GS1000i to my PS1000s, which I would expect to be better, but the GS1000i is so good that I would have to go back and verify that.

Stay tuned... I really haven't given up on the GS1000e - just realizing how much more use they need to reach their ultimate state.

Dial will not move. Hahaha! Can't wait kayandjohn.
atsmile.gif

Jan 3, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #29,841 of 65,854
Jan 3, 2016 at 6:52 PM Post #29,842 of 65,854
Some of you may see me as nothing more than a strongly medicated clown. Now, although this is a true statement, I like to think that I'm more than that, wich is why the following is deprived of my usual humour.

I'm not surprise that some people prefer, the GS1000i, to the GS1000, and the GS1000e, while others will prefer the GS1000e, to the other two.

I'd never say that one version is better than the other, because it's purely subjective. What would be an objective, and true statement, is that they all sound different from one another.

When it comes to headphones, it's no secret that the competition has never been stronger. There's never been so many companys, and models  to chose from. I even saw some Adidas the other day.
blink.gif

Because of this fierce competition, headphone manufacturers seem to be coming out with new models at shorter intervals.

Now, I'm no expert, but to my knowledge, the basic technology behind speakers, and dynamic headphones, hasn't change since it's invention.                                                                           

What has changed, is the variety of materials available to build the speakers, and their suspension. They can now use materials like Kevlar, and Butyl rubber, and ironically, paper fiber is still being used today.  

That being said, it's not like new materials come out every month, or even, year, for that matter.

I think that the main reason why manufacturers keep coming out with new models, is more a question of competition, than new technology, or material availability.

If newer always meant better, the RS1e would be a lot more popular than it is, wouldn't it?
wink.gif

That's enough rambling for mow, thank you for reading it all, I hope I didn't bore you too much!
redface.gif

Jan 3, 2016 at 7:16 PM Post #29,843 of 65,854
...have you all heard the jazz fusion masterpiece Kamasi Washington's "Epic" (one of the best
regarded albums of 2015). Listening on GS1000i's on Amarra for Tidal.....this is an incredible experience!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/764133/kamasi-washingtons-the-epic-jazz-album-of-year

Through the 1000i's....it just sounds so right! AMAZING album!!!!

I believe great albums like this are really well served by the Grado sound (I often very lightly
eq them in the mids....perfect!)

Jan 3, 2016 at 7:25 PM Post #29,844 of 65,854
I don't have a Grado but wanted to comment on the Kamasi Washington album....it is incredible and what's most impressive is the ability to maintain high quality over three hours ! Also I saw the band live last August and it was one of the best concerts I've ever seen.

Jan 3, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #29,845 of 65,854
I looked on ebay first and I was thinking..what happened, did Grado raise their prices a bunch? Then I looked on Headphone.com and saw, No they are still $500 brand new, so now I wonder what those people on ebay are thinking. I should be able to get a nice used pair for around $400. I am not that concerned, I'll go new if I need to, $500 is a very reasonable price considering the quality and sound you get for that money. I got my 325e new and didn't regret it for a minute.

Jan 3, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #29,846 of 65,854
  I looked on ebay first and I was thinking..what happened, did Grado raise their prices a bunch? Then I looked on Headphone.com and saw, No they are still $500 brand new, so now I wonder what those people on ebay are thinking. I should be able to get a nice used pair for around $400. I am not that concerned, I'll go new if I need to, $500 is a very reasonable price considering the quality and sound you get for that money. I got my 325e new and didn't regret it for a minute.

There seems to be a bunch of Grado headphones of various models on eBay from Korea and Japan that are WAYYYY above current US retail price.  I suspect they are there for purchase by countries that Grado will not ship directly to.

In like manner, if you look up a discontinued model of a Grado on amazon.com, it will also have a price much higher than the current -e series version - $1,299.95 for an SR225i, for example!

Jan 3, 2016 at 9:32 PM Post #29,847 of 65,854
I (humbly) think that the GH1 and PS1Ke are biggest bargains of the headphone world for the sound you get for the price. Maybe not fancy construction, but the sonics sound way above what they cost relative to competitors. The PS is in the close vicinity of state of the art.
Of course, you have to like the Grado sound (which I'll leave to others to define or the headfi Wiki [is there a Wiki?]).

Jan 3, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #29,848 of 65,854

I suspect they are there for purchase by countries that Grado will not ship directly to.

$1,299.95 for an SR225i, for example!

Thats exactly whats going on with the ridiculous prices.
$1299.95 for a 225i...
eek.gif

This is just pure greed! I'll tell you what I did when the GH-1 came out. I bought 2-pairs and still have 1 in the original shipping box from Crutchfield…you know why? So I could offer it to H-F members who might want them but can't afford them because of the prices they may have to pay…or when they are no longer available, they can buy them from me at original cost before posting them on eBay. This can be confirmed by more than one member that I have already tried to help buy selling them to them at U.S. cost. And as you know, I did the same with my PS1K which I could have gotten $300.00+ more for.

Jan 3, 2016 at 10:05 PM Post #29,849 of 65,854
  There seems to be a bunch of Grado headphones of various models on eBay from Korea and Japan that are WAYYYY above current US retail price.  I suspect they are there for purchase by countries that Grado will not ship directly to.

In like manner, if you look up a discontinued model of a Grado on amazon.com, it will also have a price much higher than the current -e series version - $1,299.95 for an SR225i, for example!

I think the price is the ultimate factor that turns most people away from buying Grado. Here in Asia, the price of rs2e from an authorized dealer is equivalent to a HD650, K702 & K712 Pro. So I believe many will compared them and choose the more heard-of brand with "better" structure quality. And with the association of "brightness", even fewer were tried them on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back