Grado Fan Club!
Dec 27, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #29,656 of 65,607
  well, the wires are connected, and seem pretty sturdy, i need practice though, i didn't have any helping hands to hold the wires in place while i soldered, so, i improvised with a  coat
hanger, 
the whole thing took about an hour i think, maybe a little longer

OK, so it sounds like you did what you had to do and their working fine, thats the important part.
After sufficient burn-in I'd like to hear you impressions on the magnums.
beerchug.gif

Dec 27, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #29,657 of 65,607

Welcome to the group. I see @kayandjohn mention the 325's. I have the MS2i which is the Alessandro Music Series counterpart to the 325 (still from Grado Labs), and it is not as harsh on the highs. A great set of headphones for rock. Worth checking out. I am actually looking for a pair of AKG's and have been looking at the K7XX quite a bit lately :p

Thank you for the welcome.  I'll definitely consider the Alessandro, and as for the K7XX - it's a marvelous headphone.  I upgraded to it from the Fostex T50RP v3's from Mayflower Electronics.  I find them a bit boring at times, though.  Grado are always associated with so much energy, fun, intimacy, and detail.  Need to go find a store to try them out in person, but narrowing down.  Thank you for the welcome, again!

Dec 28, 2015 at 2:21 AM Post #29,658 of 65,607
  well, i got my hands dirty , the drivers on the left are symphones magnum v6's, the cups are mahogany vibro's , the headband is off a sony,both obtained from joedoe , thanks buddy ! the cable is fro ebay, seller "amplifier_surgery" SPC, a little stiff, but well made
the sound ?? pretty damn good !  i'm pretty happy with how my first DYI project turned out

Congrats on the Magnums, Jay!

Dec 28, 2015 at 5:08 AM Post #29,660 of 65,607
  OK, so it sounds like you did what you had to do and their working fine, thats the important part.
beerchug.gif

initial impressions are very, very good 

Dec 28, 2015 at 5:18 AM Post #29,661 of 65,607

well, the wires are connected, and seem pretty sturdy, i need practice though, i didn't have any helping hands to hold the wires in place while i soldered, so, i improvised with a  coat
hanger, 
the whole thing took about an hour i think, maybe a little longer

beerchug.gif

Yes, me too!

They look very nice, Jay  
smile.gif

Dec 28, 2015 at 6:05 AM Post #29,662 of 65,607

the sound of the guitar at the beginning,  i think this is what you were talking about WW

Dec 28, 2015 at 6:09 AM Post #29,663 of 65,607
Yes, absolutely, Jay!

This is a wonderful album.

Dec 28, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #29,666 of 65,607

@jaywillin Would be interested to hear your thoughts. I have sadly never gotten to hear the higher end Grados (PS1000, GS1000, PS500, non-e RS1). I have made a couple of V6 builds now though, and like what I hear a lot. I will be building a pair to Rhydon's specs in the next week or so, using those crazy looking 3D printed cups of his (feels odd not to be using a pair of cups I have turned myself). I hear great things from folks who have done a full build that way...

Dec 28, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #29,667 of 65,607
Hi
Could someone tell me if the PS1000 (the normal one) can be used with a portable player like the ibasso DX90 ?
Will the DX90 move the PS1000 correctly or should it be used only with areal headphone amplifier?
Should the PS500E be a better match?
Or the GS1000?
I already tested the GS100 with it. The sound seems smooth. Is it because I need a better amplifier or is it mainly due to the GS1000.
In that case, would the PS500E or PS1000 be more punchy (for rock and electro)

Dec 28, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #29,668 of 65,607

I’d suggest the 60e - IMO they have a better overall balance - I found the 80e way too bass heavy...

He could go with the SR80e, and swap the stock S-cush for some L-cush, later on. The SR80e with the L-cush have slightly less bass, a clearer treble, and a bigger soundstage.

Anyone into Men Without Hats will love this track in their PS500:

Listening to this via my vinyl rig and it is awesome!

They are from my hometown, my favorite song is ''The Safety Dance'', I also like the video of that song.

By the way, for those who'd like to know, ''Montrealais'' is French, and it means, someone that's from Montreal, just like ''New Yorker'' 

Dec 28, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #29,669 of 65,607

He could go with the SR80e, and swap the stock S-cush for some L-cush, later on. The SR80e with the L-cush have slightly less bass, a clearer treble, and a bigger soundstage.

definitely a "YMMV" thing, but I find the SR80e too harsh with L-Cush.  Now, it isn't nearly as migraine inducing as the SR80i used to be with L-Cush.  Really, the only SR series that I think improve with pad swapping is the SR32e, which I think are actually better with S-Cush (though both variations have their strengths).  The SR225e is also really fun with the S-Cush, but I think a touch technically better with the L Cush.  

Dec 28, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #29,670 of 65,607
  definitely a "YMMV" thing, but I find the SR80e too harsh with L-Cush.  Now, it isn't nearly as migraine inducing as the SR80i used to be with L-Cush.  Really, the only SR series that I think improve with pad swapping is the SR32e, which I think are actually better with S-Cush (though both variations have their strengths).  The SR225e is also really fun with the S-Cush, but I think a touch technically better with the L Cush.  

I agree that the L-cush are a better match for SR80e, than they are with the i, but I used to have L-cush on my SR80i, and I liked how they sounded. ''migraine inducing'' really!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back