Grado Fan Club!
Dec 27, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #29,642 of 65,607
  Yeah, your cables looked wonderful Joseph, you took great care of them  
smile.gif

Yes, this site has been fubar for me for a few weeks now......sending private messages has been terrible....I use Google Chrome....I have even disabled flash and am still having problems, big time.

Thank you.
Seems some are having issues and some aren't?
As I said, I haven't received a reply from H-F and they normally respond very quickly, so if I don't hear anything I'm going to contact them again.

Dec 27, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #29,643 of 65,607
  Thx, but they are still unbearable. 

Anyone could share a guide about how to quarter / reverse mod the Grado, to use with the HD414 pads?

Pull your headband into a vertical position slowly and repeat until their comfortable/pressure is relieved on your ears…this definitely works! I wear any of my Grado's 3-5hrs without any discomfort and I'm talking about the (L) cushions which most find to be the least comfortable.

Dec 27, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #29,644 of 65,607
Thx, but they are still unbearable. 

Anyone could share a guide about how to quarter / reverse mod the Grado, to use with the HD414 pads?

The quarter mod is literally placing a quarter in the middle of the pad and cutting around it with an xacto knife.

Dec 27, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #29,645 of 65,607
well, i got my hands dirty , the drivers on the left are symphones magnum v6's, the cups are mahogany vibro's , the headband is off a sony,both obtained from joedoe , thanks buddy ! the cable is fro ebay, seller "amplifier_surgery" SPC, a little stiff, but well made
the sound ?? pretty damn good !  i'm pretty happy with how my first DYI project turned out

Dec 27, 2015 at 7:16 PM Post #29,646 of 65,607
I have a pair of SR225i. Usually, I don't use them a lot, but these days I have been using them extensively. After 1-2 hours of use, my ears are really hurt, to the point I have to remove them for a while. Also, my ears are covered in small black particles (I think that the foam is starting to desintegrate).

I have informed myself and I have bought a pair of yellow HD414 pads, but I can't find any good guide about how to do the quarter or reverse mode. Some old topics in the forum had their images removed, and I can't find any video guide in Youtube.

Does anyone has a comprehensive guide about how to mod the HD414 pads to work with a pair of Grado? Thank you :)

Kalsten this is the guide I followed when doing all my Grado's with reverse quarter mod hd414.

http://benlimt.blogspot.com/2011/06/grados-prestige-series-model-sr60i-and.html?m=1

Dec 27, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #29,647 of 65,607
Anyone into Men Without Hats will love this track in their PS500:

Listening to this via my vinyl rig and it is awesome!

Dec 27, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #29,648 of 65,607
One album down for the night, keeping it "Montrealais", keeping on the PS500 and listening to some "The Box" at the moment:

Dec 27, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #29,649 of 65,607
So many, many, many pages on this thread.  Howdy, Headfi, and Grado fans.  May as well make my first post both relaxed, and formal as well as to the point.  

For those who have experience thus far with the E-series drivers; how does the SR325e, RS2e, and PS500e compare? I am upgrading from K7XX's, and I find their sound profile a little too warm, but with appreciation for the sound-stage.  I'm definitely highly interested in the Grado profile, and brighter sound.  Also curious on how the G-Cush effects things.  Mixed impressions while going through the forum - expands the sound-stage, but untames treble for some people.  I'm definitely not treble sensitive.  I prefer over-the-ear, so I'll likely be picking up the G-Cush.  Music tastes are diverse, but I more often listen to metal, rock, classical / orchestral, and sometimes electronic.   As for my current set-up / equipment:  Objective 2 Amp and dac combo, as well as Schiit Vali 2 and Modi 2 Uber.  I'm sort of narrowed down to these three headphones, but I am more than happy to accept other suggestions.  

Thank you in advance.

Dec 27, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #29,650 of 65,607
  well, i got my hands dirty , the drivers on the left are symphones magnum v6's, the cups are mahogany vibro's , the headband is off a sony,both obtained from joedoe , thanks buddy ! the cable is fro ebay, seller "amplifier_surgery" SPC, a little stiff, but well made
the sound ?? pretty damn good !  i'm pretty happy with how my first DYI project turned out

They look great Jay, very nice job!
How did the soldering go?

Dec 27, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #29,651 of 65,607
  They look great Jay, very nice job!
How did the soldering go?

well, the wires are connected, and seem pretty sturdy, i need practice though, i didn't have any helping hands to hold the wires in place while i soldered, so, i improvised with a  coat
hanger, 
the whole thing took about an hour i think, maybe a little longer

Dec 27, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #29,652 of 65,607
So many, many, many pages on this thread.  Howdy, Headfi, and Grado fans.  May as well make my first post both relaxed, and formal as well as to the point.  

For those who have experience thus far with the E-series drivers; how does the SR325e, RS2e, and PS500e compare? I am upgrading from K7XX's, and I find their sound profile a little too warm, but with appreciation for the sound-stage.  I'm definitely highly interested in the Grado profile, and brighter sound.  Also curious on how the G-Cush effects things.  Mixed impressions while going through the forum - expands the sound-stage, but untames treble for some people.  I'm definitely not treble sensitive.  I prefer over-the-ear, so I'll likely be picking up the G-Cush.  Music tastes are diverse, but I more often listen to metal, rock, classical / orchestral, and sometimes electronic.   As for my current set-up / equipment:  Objective 2 Amp and dac combo, as well as Schiit Vali 2 and Modi 2 Uber.  I'm sort of narrowed down to these three headphones, but I am more than happy to accept other suggestions.  

Thank you in advance.

I think you will find that the SR325e is the brightest (though not as bright as the SR325is, SR325i, or SR325, all older models), with the RS2e (my favorite) as intermediate in brightness and very good at treble detail and transparency, and PS500e as the least bright, rolled off in the treble, with a deeper bass, but also, for the PS500e only, amenable to improving the sound stage and approaching the quality of the top-of-line PS1000e if you take its on-ear "L bowls" off and replace them with the Grado over-ear "G CUSH" pads.

Dec 27, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #29,653 of 65,607
I think you will find that the SR325e is the brightest (though not as bright as the SR325is, SR325i, or SR325, all older models), with the RS2e (my favorite) as intermediate in brightness and very good at treble detail and transparency, and PS500e as the least bright, rolled off in the treble, with a deeper bass, but also, for the PS500e only, amenable to improving the sound stage and approaching the quality of the top-of-line PS1000e if you take its on-ear "L bowls" off and replace them with the Grado over-ear "G CUSH" pads.

Between the three I believe the PS500e is the one with a more.. intimate / close soundstage, but excellent detail retrieval, but as you said the G-Cush can open that up.  Either way I am sure all three are far brighter, and different than the K7XX I use as my daily drivers.  The RS2e is a bit smoother in the treble than the SR325e, and the E-series in general is smoother across the board from previous series, right?

Dec 27, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #29,654 of 65,607
  Hi everyone, i want to buy my first pair of grado and i'm conflicted between the sr60e and the sr80e. Reading on the net some say the 60e > 80e other 80e>60e while most of them say they can't hear the difference between the two.
I don't have much money to spend on the headphones so the lower cost of the 60e would be much better, but someone can explain me the difference between the two?
I like a balanced and detailed sound signature if this can help on choosing.
Thanks

I’d suggest the 60e - IMO they have a better overall balance - I found the 80e way too bass heavy...

Dec 27, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #29,655 of 65,607

Thank you in advance.

Welcome to the group. I see @kayandjohn mention the 325's. I have the MS2i which is the Alessandro Music Series counterpart to the 325 (still from Grado Labs), and it is not as harsh on the highs. A great set of headphones for rock. Worth checking out. I am actually looking for a pair of AKG's and have been looking at the K7XX quite a bit lately :p

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back