Grado Fan Club!
Dec 24, 2015 at 5:57 AM Post #29,551 of 65,617
PS1000 on my head. Queens of the Stone Age, Rated R. 5 beers into the night. 2:23am. Gotta let some beer back out. Standing before the porceline throne, peering down, pondering, "What would I do if these half kilogram cans fall in?"

No more pissing with my PS1k on my noggin. Would hate to see 'em bobbin.

"I Think I Lost My...PS1ks to the Toilet"

QotSA + Grados CREW. 
darthsmile.gif

Dec 24, 2015 at 7:05 AM Post #29,553 of 65,617
  Good morning my Grado Fan Club peeps, I've been enjoying The Beatles on Tidal since last night and I'ma happy man!
bigsmile_face.gif

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE, HAPPY HOLIDAYS!
beerchug.gif

Yes, merry Christmas to everybody 
smile.gif

Aw man, worms....enjoy, you have enough good music to enjoy non stop with the beatles until new years day!

I bought the Beatles stereo recordings box set of all of their albums last year...great times indeed....their stuff that never got much play time is the stuff that I like the best!

Dec 24, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #29,556 of 65,617
It annoys me that they're only streaming the stereo versions of the Beatles catalog. I get that it would be confusing to most people if they had 2-4 versions for every album, but they could have picked better. Revolver, Rubber Soul and Sgt Peppers are all a million times better in mono.

Dec 24, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #29,557 of 65,617
It annoys me that they're only streaming the stereo versions of the Beatles catalog. I get that it would be confusing to most people if they had 2-4 versions for every album, but they could have picked better. Revolver, Rubber Soul and Sgt Peppers are all a million times better in mono.

Yeah, it may be to come in time though.

Dec 24, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #29,558 of 65,617
Please can I ask for a specific recommendation.

Background story: When I play my Meridian Explorer and 225e headphones, most of the time they are fine. With acoustic stuff and not too many instruments going on they sublime; really lush. However sometimes they get confused and clustered, when the going gets tough. Meaning when there's a lot happening.

It also happens when I use active speakers with the DAC. This doesn't necessarily mean it's the DAC though. It could be a comination of DAC + either. This is probably the issue since none of my kit is top-end.

This is my question. Since I can't be sure it's not the recording, please can someone recommend an excellently engineered album. Something with both fast and slow, sparse and busy tracks.

The music I like is not specific to any music style. It veers away from some like death metal etc, but even then there is the odd good track there. I like solid punchy rock, some dance anthems, folk type rock. You know the sort of generally interesting stuff.

Dec 24, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #29,559 of 65,617
Please can I ask for a specific recommendation.

Background story: When I play my Meridian Explorer and 225e headphones, most of the time they are fine. With acoustic stuff and not too many instruments going on they sublime; really lush. However sometimes they get confused and clustered, when the going gets tough. Meaning when there's a lot happening.

It also happens when I use active speakers with the DAC. This doesn't necessarily mean it's the DAC though. It could be a comination of DAC + either. This is probably the issue since none of my kit is top-end.

This is my question. Since I can't be sure it's not the recording, please can someone recommend an excellently engineered album. Something with both fast and slow, sparse and busy tracks.

The music I like is not specific to any music style. It veers away from some like death metal etc, but even then there is the odd good track there. I like solid punchy rock, some dance anthems, folk type rock. You know the sort of generally interesting stuff.

Can you please give an example of a recording that you are using that you question whether it is the recording or the amp/headphone combination? It would help me in comparing to what I use, so I can see whether what I recommend might be better.

I tend to use the four pieces listed in the link in my signature labeled something like "Four Dimensional Plot Comparing 13 Grados." Since then, I have discovered a couple of songs that are also useful... Madonna's "Like A Prayer" for tight bass and amount of "shoutiness" to vocals, and Enrique Inglesias "I Will Survive" for transmitting general excitement.

Dec 24, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #29,560 of 65,617
PS1000 on my head. Queens of the Stone Age, Rated R. 5 beers into the night. 2:23am. Gotta let some beer back out. Standing before the porceline throne, peering down, pondering, "What would I do if these half kilogram cans fall in?"

Grados tend to transmit their honest transparency to their user (description of bodily functions) and inspire them to poetry ("noggin... / ...bobbin"). More power to them!

Dec 24, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #29,561 of 65,617

Wear this when peeing....also will work for us "head bobbers"    
tongue.gif

http://www.amazon.com/EasySleep-Pro-Adjustable-Snoring-Strap/dp/B0148JL24G/ref=pd_sim_121_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=51JZR8tNPyL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=05S80P8HBP0PACGHBTXJ

Dec 24, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #29,562 of 65,617
Hi lucky guys (because you already have a Grado!)
I was suppose to buy a used GH 1000, but I heard a problem with it. The sound level of the left channel is less loud compared to the right one.
One day, I heard some scratch especially with the bass. It disappeared after giving small hits on the headphone. One other day, the sound completely disappeared and came back after giving small hits. Also, when I increase quickly the volume, I have the impression that the volume of the left channel increases slower compared to the right one. And if I listen loud,  the left headphone cut completely the sound but cone back if I reduce the volume.
I was told that it sounds like if the driver is at the end of its life and both drivers should be changed.
Can I have your point of view?

And as last question, about Wich model would be better for the style of music I enjoy.
First, as DAC-AMP, I am waiting for my new Audio-gd Master 11.
For the style of music, I listen to electro, blues, rock and voices mainly. No classical (yet?)
It is difficult to listen to several Grado in Alsace France. So your advice would be welcomed.
The GH1000 is really great but seems not enough punchy for this type of music.
Also I have some recordings I really like but the revording/mastering is not the best. It would be great to have a headphone not too sharp with the song to keep at least some pleasure.
Also the 325 is really hearing me too much.
Any idea?
For the budget..... I will be patient if expensive...
William

Dec 24, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #29,563 of 65,617
Hi lucky guys (because you already have a Grado!)
I was suppose to buy a used GH 1000, but I heard a problem with it. The sound level of the left channel is less loud compared to the right one.
One day, I heard some scratch especially with the bass. It disappeared after giving small hits on the headphone. One other day, the sound completely disappeared and came back after giving small hits. Also, when I increase quickly the volume, I have the impression that the volume of the left channel increases slower compared to the right one. And if I listen loud,  the left headphone cut completely the sound but cone back if I reduce the volume.
I was told that it sounds like if the driver is at the end of its life and both drivers should be changed.
Can I have your point of view?

And as last question, about Wich model would be better for the style of music I enjoy.
First, as DAC-AMP, I am waiting for my new Audio-gd Master 11.
For the style of music, I listen to electro, blues, rock and voices mainly. No classical (yet?)
It is difficult to listen to several Grado in Alsace France. So your advice would be welcomed.
The GH1000 is really great but seems not enough punchy for this type of music.
Also I have some recordings I really like but the revording/mastering is not the best. It would be great to have a headphone not too sharp with the song to keep at least some pleasure.
Also the 325 is really hearing me too much.
Any idea?
For the budget..... I will be patient if expensive...
William

There is no GH-1000...which headphone are you referring to, the GS-1000 or the GH-1 "Limited Edition"?

Dec 24, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #29,565 of 65,617
Thanks Wormsdriver. Helps a lot. 1. How can I be sure I have the black star drivers? The center hole on the inside has a little pyramid with ridges. 2. What is the best way to sell? I'm not greedy, just want a fair price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back