Grado Fan Club!
Jul 31, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #27,001 of 65,639
Thanks joseph. Yes I believe the PS1K's will come to me someday. Save that thought my friend. Thanks for the heads up on trying getting a teenage girl to love some Grado hp's. I'm thinking maybe a new portable turntable with Stevie Wonder's album "A Time To Love" in vinyl because she loves records, and I love her so much. Yeah I know, our kids going backwards.

In this day and age thats a great thing!
beerchug.gif

Aug 1, 2015 at 5:16 AM Post #27,003 of 65,639
joseph, a good night indeed sir. I upped my jazz cat listening experiage tonight by tracking Mike Stern's "Who Let a The Cats Out" album from 2006, which is very cool indeed. With a new baby in the house discretionary spending is at a premium. Who woulda thought? The PS1K's will come to me if I'm patient and just let it happen, I'm confident of that. But right now I'm thinking I'd like to get my soon to be 16yr old daughter some 325i's just to let her hear the difference between them and her Beats 2's, which she loves.

I LOVE pictures of real people wearing real headphones!  The Beats, I certainly recognize, but what kind of headphones are those with the green band?  In any event, thank you!

Aug 1, 2015 at 5:25 AM Post #27,004 of 65,639
I LOVE pictures of real people wearing real headphones!  The Beats, I certainly recognize, but what kind of headphones are those with the green band?  In any event, thank you!
Your very welcome sir. My pleasure. Now I've got two beautiful daughters, fifteen years apart in age. God I'm so stupid. Babies don't need hp's because they have the hearing of a wolfhound. Congrats on ordering the GH-1's.

Aug 1, 2015 at 5:32 AM Post #27,005 of 65,639
  @whirlwind
What I actually was trying to describe as a "black background" was that the instruments/detail seem to come out of the darkness but are clearly present…if that makes sense?

Thanks, Joseph.

Aug 1, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #27,006 of 65,639
Okay, finally got the Grado GH1s (after a 60 mile round-trip and a whopping customs bill). Now, I have no experience whatsoever of mid or upper tier headphones, nothing to compare these with except in-ears, and have no idea what HD800s or Beyers or Audeze sound like, BUT even with just one hour of listening, straight out of the box, in the middle of an already hectic afternoon - it's like going from a 32" CRT to my first 48" flatscreen (now THAT was a good day), like the first time I could get a decent (albeit second-hand) car after a series of old bangers, like the first time I heard The Cure's 'Forest' on a Naim pre/power amp combo, and I've said 'Wow' several times, and I've had goosebumps, and I feel a bit like crying. I genuinely can't imagine what percentage of 'extra' I'd get by paying £500 more or even £1000 more, but it must be tiny, tiny 'improvements'. Yes, maybe new toy syndrome has hit, maybe I'm just so shocked at finding out how much bass I've been missing for years, or how sweet the vocals on old track really can sound, but I'm totally happy and I just don't care about the money I just spent, the rubbish packaging Grado put these headphones in, the plastic gimbals, the slightly prickly pads - these are just so, so good. Happy, moi? Hell, yes...An audiophile? Almost certainly not, but I know what I like, and I love these!

Aug 1, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #27,007 of 65,639
time for some tunes and the ms2i 

Aug 1, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #27,009 of 65,639
Fresh ground and grados in the morning. Thank you Jay enjoyed the tuff love with my coffee. Speaking of kids coming around. My granddaughter just sent me a music selection she wanted me to hear "behind blue eyes"It wasn't performed by the Who but that was it!

Aug 1, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #27,010 of 65,639
Well, after the thunderstorm ended, I fired my Yamaha RX-V 2220 back on, and I can officially say that the amp section is dead. non of my speakers work, and I mean, not even a faint background noise, I have no sound at all.
frown.gif

I bought it in Yamy in 2002, so it's been obsolete for a while. The timing couldn't be worst though. Having just bought my GH-1, I certainly hadn't planed on buying a new surround reciever.

On a more positive note. My vintage Marantz 2226B, hasn't been damaged by the storm, so I was able to get one more hour with my GH-1. In my opinion, Grado has achieved a near perfect balance with the GH-1, meaning that neither the bass, mids of highs stand out above the others.

I have found that I have a very hard time taking off the GH-1. I think that their softer treble, and forgiving nature, is probably the reason why. Anyway, it's all good. 

Aug 1, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #27,011 of 65,639
  Well, after the thunderstorm ended, I fired my Yamaha RX-V 2220 back on, and I can officially say that the amp section is dead. non of my speakers work, and I mean, not even a faint background noise, I have no sound at all.
frown.gif

I bought it in Yamy in 2002, so it's been obsolete for a while. The timing couldn't be worst though. Having just bought my GH-1, I certainly hadn't planed on buying a new surround reciever.

On a more positive note. My vintage Marantz 2226B, hasn't been damaged by the storm, so I was able to get one more hour with my GH-1. In my opinion, Grado has achieved a near perfect balance with the GH-1, meaning that neither the bass, mids of highs stand out above the others.

I have found that I have a very hard time taking off the GH-1. I think that their softer treble, and forgiving nature, is probably the reason why. Anyway, it's all good. 

i can't get one atm, but i suspect a few will hit the used market a little down the road, and not cost more then than the do now ! lol

Aug 1, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #27,012 of 65,639
  i can't get one atm, but i suspect a few will hit the used market a little down the road, and not cost more then than the do now ! lol

I don't know, if the HP1000, and the Bushmills are any indication of the money that special edition Grado products can bring, they might end up costing more than they did new.

I still think that the GH-1's presentation is an EPIC FAIL, however, they do sound very good, and judging from my pair, the headphones themselves seem to be well put together.

Aug 1, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #27,013 of 65,639

I don't know, if the HP1000, and the Bushmills are any indication of the money that special edition Grado products can bring, they might end up costing more than they did new.

I still think that the GH-1's presentation is an EPIC FAIL, however, they do sound very good, and judging from my pair, the headphones themselves seem to be well put together.

i agree, it does seem that there should have been special packaging, maybe they want you to buy their wooden box 

Aug 1, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #27,015 of 65,639
  Okay, finally got the Grado GH1s (after a 60 mile round-trip and a whopping customs bill). Now, I have no experience whatsoever of mid or upper tier headphones, nothing to compare these with except in-ears, and have no idea what HD800s or Beyers or Audeze sound like, BUT even with just one hour of listening, straight out of the box, in the middle of an already hectic afternoon - it's like going from a 32" CRT to my first 48" flatscreen (now THAT was a good day), like the first time I could get a decent (albeit second-hand) car after a series of old bangers, like the first time I heard The Cure's 'Forest' on a Naim pre/power amp combo, and I've said 'Wow' several times, and I've had goosebumps, and I feel a bit like crying. I genuinely can't imagine what percentage of 'extra' I'd get by paying £500 more or even £1000 more, but it must be tiny, tiny 'improvements'. Yes, maybe new toy syndrome has hit, maybe I'm just so shocked at finding out how much bass I've been missing for years, or how sweet the vocals on old track really can sound, but I'm totally happy and I just don't care about the money I just spent, the rubbish packaging Grado put these headphones in, the plastic gimbals, the slightly prickly pads - these are just so, so good. Happy, moi? Hell, yes...An audiophile? Almost certainly not, but I know what I like, and I love these!

Congrats. Yup...I know that excitement. You are hooked for good. :) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back