Grado Fan Club!
Jul 27, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #26,836 of 65,642

Wow, first thanks to hifizen for RS2e vs GH1 write up and donlin for the PS500e vs GH1 comparison. I had the PS500e and thought it too bassy and currently have the RS2e but find it too trebly without the tape mod like hifizen, and was worried the GH1 would sound too bassy like the PS500e, but it sounds like I may prefer the GH1.

thanks 

Flat pads toned the treble down on rs2e though? I learned that from your 4-way comparison. Then when I tried them out myself, It's quite noticeable. It still have nice treble, but it's a little less and the bass is more but less punch-y. Which is great for me.
Though I do find out of the 3 (325e rs2e ps500e), the rs2e mid-bass punches the hardest out of them all, it's qutie noticeable. Maybe ps500e has more sub-bass but I feel that the rs2e bass really hits my ear in "raw, planar-like" sort of way. I found Flat Pads dilutes the bass punch a little bit and that was great.

ofc, I don't have the rs2e anymore and only listened to the flat pads on my last day of owning them so my impression might not be 100% accurate.

Jul 27, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #26,837 of 65,642
I found the flat pads made the RS2e even more shouty. Reduced the upper treble but really emphasized the upper midrange and lower treble.  Too much of a good thing. 

Getting interested in the GH1 but still worried it has too much bass. It sounds like it has less than the 500e, but I find the bass perfect on the RS2e (with tape mod). Don't know if I want any more. 

Honestly, with tape mod, the RS2e is in a great headphone. Without the tape mod, I find it too bright.

Jul 27, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #26,838 of 65,642

Wow, first thanks to hifizen for RS2e vs GH1 write up and donlin for the PS500e vs GH1 comparison. I had the PS500e and thought it too bassy and currently have the RS2e but find it too trebly without the tape mod like hifizen, and was worried the GH1 would sound too bassy like the PS500e, but it sounds like I may prefer the GH1.

thanks 

If you thought the PS500e was too bassy, there's a good chance the GH-1 will be perfect for you.  The GH-1 bass is not as weighty but still present.

Jul 27, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #26,840 of 65,642

thanks 

Haha, we have the exact same concern. I do think the 2e a bit bass light and a bit bright while the 500e were too bassy and the mids of it a bit too recessed. I hope the GH1 will at the sweet spot of bright and dark. BTW, I do wish Grado make neutral sounding model(s) in the future.

Jul 27, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #26,841 of 65,642
  Haha, we have the exact same concern. I do think the 2e a bit bass light and a bit bright while the 500e were too bassy and the mids of it a bit too recessed. I hope the GH1 will at the sweet spot of bright and dark. BTW, I do wish Grado make neutral sounding model(s) in the future.

I can't imagine how anybody that likes the Grado sound in general wouldn't love the GH-1 midrange but I think being neutral is not the point of Grados.  They are fun and exciting.  A lot of the other guys already do neutral pretty well.

Jul 27, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #26,842 of 65,642

I can't imagine how anybody that likes the Grado sound in general wouldn't love the GH-1 midrange but I think being neutral is not the point of Grados.  They are fun and exciting.  A lot of the other guys already do neutral pretty well.

I agree with your opinion. I should specify that the defination of the word "neutral" here is only in terms of tonal balance, while I still want them sound fun and exciting, just like every Grados.

Jul 27, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #26,843 of 65,642
By the way, how do the GH1 look. On picture, it looks dull compared to the RS series (stain and finish).
Do they also come with brown leather headband?

Jul 27, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #26,844 of 65,642
I knew better had my fresh ground coffee and now the Grado addict that I am wants to hear the GH-1'S. hem! Wonder what Ray Charles would sound like on them?

ray charles sounds good on anything

Jul 27, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #26,845 of 65,642

Mmm I did that with my 225e. I bought them in a 225i carry case bundle package, and they turned out to be e-drivers. I left them overnight on a gentle sound source. Having said that as we know e-drivers sound run in when you get them, but I did it anyway. I was completely in the dark about e-drivers in i-headphones at this point anyway. Also with me having made a 225i purchase I did not have the Grado page that says run them in slowly.

However I can't see it doing them any harm, and it certainly should not. Besides all that, I often listen to them for hours on end anyway, so what is the difference.

I can't help wishing a big congratulations to everyone who has managed to acquire their GH-1.

@jltalusan It scares me witless when folk say the 325 is the brightest. I really fancy getting some 325e. I always figured that the 325e had no more treble energy that the 225e. However I figured it might be in a different frequency range, and appear brighter. The 325e is meant to have a touch more bass too, so you'd think it balanced out.

Having said all that, I think the 225e has a good amount of treble. It's never bright or crashy, and always sounds controlled. I have even sometimes thought a little more treble would not go amiss.

Given the number of 325e fans, I think they are still a safe bet.

+1

Jul 27, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #26,846 of 65,642
  If you thought the PS500e was too bassy, there's a good chance the GH-1 will be perfect for you.  The GH-1 bass is not as weighty but still present.

Thanks for your great comparison/impressions/opinion between the GH-1/PS500e!
I was really lost with the GH-1 being I've only heard the GS1Ke for a couple of days and didn't care for them, and I had no experience with any other (e) series (RS2e/PS500e). So far (about 12hrs in) I find the bass on the GH-1 to be very, very nice but mine still need to tighten up.
beerchug.gif

I agree with your opinion. I should specify that the defination of the word "neutral" here is only in terms of tonal balance, while I still want them sound fun and exciting, just like every Grados.

+1

By the way, how do the GH1 look. On picture, it looks dull compared to the RS series (stain and finish).
Do they also come with brown leather headband?

The wood has a natural look with a black headband.

Jul 27, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #26,847 of 65,642
  Anyone here listen to much Joanna Newsom?
I've been neglecting my Schiit stack lately but, I just warmed up the tubes, sat down, and listened to Milk-Eyed Mender and, boy.... Something about that harp and these GH-1's... absolutely beautiful. 

I just got my GH-1's and she's the first thing I listened to. I'm listening on my ALO Pan AM with Cifte tubes.

Right out of the box, the 'phones are a little compressed and in the treble overall and a little recessed in the upper-mids. There's a little sibilance and the decay seems short.

I'm going to see if I can tear myself away to do what I need to get done today and let them burn in a little.

Jul 27, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #26,848 of 65,642

Mmm I did that with my 225e. I bought them in a 225i carry case bundle package, and they turned out to be e-drivers. I left them overnight on a gentle sound source. Having said that as we know e-drivers sound run in when you get them, but I did it anyway. I was completely in the dark about e-drivers in i-headphones at this point anyway. Also with me having made a 225i purchase I did not have the Grado page that says run them in slowly.

However I can't see it doing them any harm, and it certainly should not. Besides all that, I often listen to them for hours on end anyway, so what is the difference.

I can't help wishing a big congratulations to everyone who has managed to acquire their GH-1.

@jltalusan It scares me witless when folk say the 325 is the brightest. I really fancy getting some 325e. I always figured that the 325e had no more treble energy that the 225e. However I figured it might be in a different frequency range, and appear brighter. The 325e is meant to have a touch more bass too, so you'd think it balanced out.

Having said all that, I think the 225e has a good amount of treble. It's never bright or crashy, and always sounds controlled. I have even sometimes thought a little more treble would not go amiss.

Given the number of 325e fans, I think they are still a safe bet.

I own the 325's and I will go on record as saying they are a bit overly bright. Putting the bigger pads on tamed them a bit IMO and running them on a really good amp makes a huge difference IMO. On my Bryston BHA-1 they are a completely different beast and again IMO damn near perfect. On anything else I own (not including the Ember) they are too bright for me and I can only stand them for about an hour.

Jul 27, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #26,849 of 65,642

I own the 325's and I will go on record as saying they are a bit overly bright. Putting the bigger pads on tamed them a bit IMO and running them on a really good amp makes a huge difference IMO. On my Bryston BHA-1 they are a completely different beast and again IMO damn near perfect. On anything else I own (not including the Ember) they are too bright for me and I can only stand them for about an hour.

Is it the SR325 original version that you have?  There have been four versions of them, each successively less bright than the one before, to the point that, at least in my experience, the last one (SR325e) is no brighter than the (overall less bright) SR225i.

Indeed, as pertains to brightness:

SR325 > SR325i > SR325is > R325e.

Jul 27, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #26,850 of 65,642
  Is it the SR325 original version that you have?  There have been four versions of them, each successively less bright than the one before, to the point that, at least in my experience, the last one (SR325e) is no brighter than the (overall less bright) SR225i.

Indeed, as pertains to brightness:

SR325 > SR325i > SR325is > R325e.

I should have stated this but I own the 325is

Users who are viewing this thread

Back