Grado Fan Club!
Jul 12, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #26,326 of 65,639

Long time lurker, 1st time poster, signed up 5 minutes ago;
Owning that many grados I guess you're an expert; whenever I go Googled "best headphones for beatles music" the answer was always grado, even from grado haters, and consensus is a rarity in the audiophile forums from what I've seen.
I bought my 1st pair, ebay listing said 'grado gold 325 2009' but i think they are 325is from 2006.
They arrived broken, I'm hoping you can tell me where to get a new connecting piece to hold on the left side, as they will not stay on and slip off.
Also, can you tell me of some nice cushions? These came with the "grado L cushion" but I wish for something with a bit more depth.
thank you for any advice!!!!!

Welcome to Grado Land.  "Sorry about your wallet!!"

The gold 325 indeed are the 325i, gold because they were made in 2003, the 50th (gold) anniversary of Grado.  They are the brightest of all the Grados.  I also have the 325is and the 325e as well as the 325i (gold), and I actually prefer the 325i (but in part that is because I have other Grado earphones for when I don't feel so bright, but feel more muted).

I too have experienced the "pull-out" problem.  It seems like many for connections on the Grado (e.g. the black plastic end on the end of the rod), the fit is based on friction rather than adhesive.

You should indeed first pursue it with the seller... that should not happen.

But if you need to fix it, just a dab of glue is great, with a drop into the hole on the end of the bare metal tab that pulled out.  I used Elmer's white glue, which takes longer to dry but is reversible and you can get it off, rather than an instant cement.  But either should work.

I would never change the pads for anything other than the original type of Grado pads.  The headphone models are designed with the pad in mind, and at least to me the only change is just to update the pads with the same kind when they fail due to wear.  And get the Grado pads, not the EarZonk, which are cheaper.  Grado pads have multiple densities of foam, hardest where it hits the ear, that the others, which are all the same density, don't offer.

Now... off to bid on those Bushmills!!!!!

Jul 12, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #26,327 of 65,639
As far as the broken sr325, if you contact Grado, they will suggest you do exactly what @kramer5150 said above. Put a dab of super glue on the metal part (right around the little circle cut out) and re-insert back on the plastic rod block.

Edit: congrats to k&j on the Bushmills! :D

Jul 12, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #26,328 of 65,639
Oh, and @EdenElectronics you asked for a chart comparing Grados.

Here is my favorite (i.e., I did it, for my 13 Grados that I had when I did it several weeks ago - now have a few more!!).

I compare attributes of transparency, sound stage, bass impact, and treble detail, based on listening to 13 Grado models, distributed among original, -i, and -e.  For each attribute, if the model was the best, it gets a score of 100%; if worst, 0%, etc.  Each of the four attributes is scored separately, so a sum score for each headphone can also be computed:

I also generated a 4-dimensional plot of the same information:

Jul 12, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #26,329 of 65,639
Oh, and @EdenElectronics
 you asked for a chart comparing Grados.

Here is my favorite (i.e., I did it, for my 13 Grados that I had when I did it several weeks ago - now have a few more!!).

I compare attributes of transparency, sound stage, bass impact, and treble detail, based on listening to 13 Grado models, distributed among original, -i, and -e.  For each attribute, if the model was the best, it gets a score of 100%; if worst, 0%, etc.  Each of the four attributes is scored separately, so a sum score for each headphone can also be computed:

I also generated a 4-dimensional plot of the same information:

o my god...speechless... thank you so much!
There's just too much to sift through; the fact that I've spent 20+ hrs looking for something like this and have never come across it is pretty telling as to the difficulty in finding something this concise.
totally indebted to you!

Jul 12, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #26,330 of 65,639
$835.05/28-minutes/44-bids now!

See, now thats what I love about the PS1K's…every HP I compared them too weren't nearly as fun!
This changes thing around for my wanting too hear the HE-1000 because I probably wouldn't like them as much as the PS1K's.

I think we all have a bit of OCD…for sure!

I wouldn't count on it Joeseph, come on, just a little listen, what harm can it do........

Jul 12, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #26,333 of 65,639
Bushmills went for $996.32

Wow just wow...
K&J are they yours?

|
|
|
|
v
|
|
|
|
v
|
|
|
|
v

|
|
|
|
v

|
|
|
|
v

|
|
|
|
v
|
|
|
|
v
|
|
|
|
v

|
|
|
|
v

|
|
|
|
v

|
|
|
|
v

|
|
|
|
v

yes.

Jul 12, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #26,334 of 65,639
Bushmills went for $996.32

Wow just wow...
K&J are they yours?

And to think that when I ordered my Bushmills, I had accidently double cliked and had two pairs in my cart. Once I got to checkout, I noticed it, so I remove one pair...need I say more?

Ask me how much I regret not leaving my order alone.

If I remember correctly, someone had willingly ordered two pairs, then waited for the Bushmills to be sold out, and 2 or 3 days later, he sold his second pair for about $800. This smart guy basically got his Bushmills for free, and if need be, he could more than likely sell his remaining pair for a huge profit.

As I've said before, I prefer my Bushmills to the RS1i, so I think that if they were a regular Grado model, sound quality wise, they're worth between $700 to $800. Considering the fact that they have, THE, best quality leather headband, wich is also the most padded that I've seen on any Grado, and that they also have, THE, best packaging, the embroided velour carrying bag is a nice touch, makes it easyer for me to understand why someone would be willing to pay close to a thousand for them. 

Jul 12, 2015 at 7:11 PM Post #26,335 of 65,639
Congrats K&J love the feeling when you buy a Grado it's like Xmas has arrived..
This is indeed a big grado family we have here.
:)

Yup stacker45 the wood box is immaculate and hope the heritage series comes with it too but doubt it. I think the bushmills are the best limited edition Grado ever released.

Ps - I think Grado should give open tour to K&J and welcome him into the Grado headquarters as a grado representative :)

Jul 12, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #26,336 of 65,639
Congrats K&J love the feeling when you buy a Grado it's like Xmas has arrived..
This is indeed a big grado family we have here.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yup stacker45 the wood box is immaculate and hope the heritage series comes with it too but doubt it. I think the bushmills are the best limited edition Grado ever released.

Ps - I think Grado should give open tour to K&J and welcome him into the Grado headquarters as a grado representative
smily_headphones1.gif

This purchase of the Grado Bushmills X is particularly special to me.  My wife (the "Kay" of kayandjohn), a scholar in Irish literature with emphasis on William Butler Yeats, spent 6 years at the Yeats Summer School, Sligo, Ireland, where she took courses from the likes of Seamus Heaney, who later won the Nobel Prize in literature.  She taught me the love of all things Irish (including Irish whiskey, such as Bushmills).  She later guided me through Ireland in her own special tour, even introducing me to the family she stayed with those six years at the Yeats Summer School.

My wife passed away on June 24, just 18 days ago.  She had begun to tolerate, if not appreciate, my headphone hobby in the last days of her long illness (I have several recent treasured photos of her wearing, unwillingly but with grace, my HD 800s, PS1000s, and GS1000s), and so the purchase of Irish-themed headphones of my favorite brand is really in her memory.  Her memorial service includes a reception at Ann Arbor's Irish pub, commemorating her infection of at least 2,000 students of all things Irish.

I cannot imagine a more fitting purchase.

Jul 12, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #26,337 of 65,639
K&J,
I am very sorry for her loss and i too had loss my nephew around the same time. :frowning2:
The human spirit is unique and we bond as a community here on the forums during times of grief and sorrow.

Just as i am sure you bought these in her memory i named my RS2i's after my nephew and know that when i listen to them i can hear the joy and happiness of our departed loved ones.

It's a special Grado as i am sure your Bushmills will be.
Happy listening :)

Jul 12, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #26,338 of 65,639
I am very very sad to hear about your wife's passing. My most sincere condolences to you my friend. I can't imagine, and I don't have the words.

Know that you are very much loved and appreciated here on these forums and we are here for you.

|
|
|
v
|
|
|
|
v
|
|
|
|
v
|
|
|
|
v
|
|
|
|
v
|
|
|
|
v
|
|
|
|
v
|
|
|
|
v
|
|
|
|
v
|
|
|
|
v
|
|
|
|
v
|
|
|
v
btw, love your sense of humor, keep it up!
beerchug.gif

Jul 12, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #26,339 of 65,639
This purchase of the Grado Bushmills X is particularly special to me.  My wife (the "Kay" of kayandjohn), a scholar in Irish literature with emphasis on William Butler Yeats, spent 6 years at the Yeats Summer School, Sligo, Ireland, where she took courses from the likes of Seamus Heaney, who later won the Nobel Prize in literature.  She taught me the love of all things Irish (including Irish whiskey, such as Bushmills).  She later guided me through Ireland in her own special tour, even introducing me to the family she stayed with those six years at the Yeats Summer School.

My wife passed away on June 24, just 18 days ago.  She had begun to tolerate, if not appreciate, my headphone hobby in the last days of her long illness (I have several recent treasured photos of her wearing, unwillingly but with grace, my HD 800s, PS1000s, and GS1000s), and so the purchase of Irish-themed headphones of my favorite brand is really in her memory.  Her memorial service includes a reception at Ann Arbor's Irish pub, commemorating her infection of at least 2,000 students of all things Irish.

I cannot imagine a more fitting purchase.

John, I am sorry to hear about your Wife's passing,very sad news indeed. A tragic loss for you and the Ann Arbor Community. Was she a Prof. At UM?

Jul 12, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #26,340 of 65,639
John, I am very sorry to hear of your loss. May your wife rest in peace and may you pull through these difficult times. I'm sure you will cherish your new Busmills Grado more than anything else in the world. I miss the Bushmills again, but it really warms (and then breaks) my heart to see you two's shared love of headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back