Grado Fan Club!
Jun 3, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #25,261 of 65,605

What kind of question is that?, paint doesn't affect the sound.
rolleyes.gif

It does if you use high quality, boutique paint.   You can spend thousands upgrading your amp and buying new cables, but in my experience, nothing improves the sound of headphones more than good paint.  YMMV. 

Jun 3, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #25,262 of 65,605

My small study I did earlier shows that red headphones are the fastest.  I have not investigated the effects of gold yet.

Anecdotal evidence suggests that gold headphones are the most likely to be found in Flavor Flav's bachelor pad.

Jun 3, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #25,263 of 65,605
Anecdotal evidence suggests that gold headphones are the most likely to be found in Flavor Flav's bachelor pad.

Hey, I am already writing a steamy novel about gold headphones, bachelor pads, and what goes on there! I'm calling it Fifty Shades of Gold!

Jun 3, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #25,264 of 65,605

It does if you use high quality, boutique paint.   You can spend thousands upgrading your amp and buying new cables, but in my experience, nothing improves the sound of headphones more than good paint.  YMMV. 

Boutique paint has better PRAT

Jun 3, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #25,265 of 65,605
Hey, I am already writing a steamy novel about gold headphones, bachelor pads, and what goes on there! I'm calling it Fifty Shades of Gold!

… well sounds like I'd better call my publicist and tell her to scrap the book idea I pitched. Oh it's all been done before by someone.

Jun 3, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #25,266 of 65,605
Jun 3, 2015 at 11:41 PM Post #25,268 of 65,605

That's a great idea, but do you actually travel with your PS1k, or is it just for storage when you're not using them?.

I think I will use it for both purposes. I probably will usually keep them at the ready when I'm at home, but if I feel that I will take a break from using them, because of either going away for a longer while, or perhaps focusing on other equipment, I will feel better knowing that they are safely stored (edit: not at least because dust tends to get just about every imaginable place). The original box isnt all that practical to use for this purpose.

Also, I think I want to bring them on shorter travels, for instance when going to one of several cabins I have access to. I can imagine sitting by the fireplace brandishing the ps1000's, after having chopped my own wood. I think they will be very suitable for this purpose. I wish I also had the GS1000's, as they perhaps would feel even more "fitting" in this context. Hehe.

Jun 3, 2015 at 11:48 PM Post #25,269 of 65,605
Actually now that I think about it, there was a poor soul over in the HD700 thread who painted his Senns and got it all on the membrane...that definitely affected the sound. 

Jun 3, 2015 at 11:51 PM Post #25,270 of 65,605
  I think I will use it for both purposes. I probably will usually keep them at the ready when I'm at home, but if I feel that I will take a break from using them, because of either going away for a longer while, or perhaps focusing on other equipment, I will feel better knowing that they are safely stored (edit: not at least because dust tends to get just about every imaginable place). The original box isnt all that practical to use for this purpose.

Also, I think I want to bring them on shorter travels, for instance when going to one of several cabins I have access to. I can imagine sitting by the fireplace brandishing the ps1000's, after having chopped my own wood. I think they will be very suitable for this purpose. I wish I also had the GS1000's, as they perhaps would feel even more "fitting" in this context. Hehe.

Don't forget you can take them skateboarding.  Just be sure to buy several of the Grado 15 foot extension cables (like about 400 of them!)

Jun 3, 2015 at 11:55 PM Post #25,271 of 65,605
  Actually now that I think about it, there was a poor soul over in the HD700 thread who painted his Senns and got it all on the membrane...that definitely affected the sound. 

I punched holes in the backs of the drivers on my first pair of 80i's…then I filled some in with hot glue
eek.gif
and it dripped onto the membrane, and they were done!
confused_face_2.gif

Jun 4, 2015 at 5:08 AM Post #25,273 of 65,605
Jun 4, 2015 at 5:39 AM Post #25,274 of 65,605

Yeah, he painted his HD700 in gold, man, my heart bled when I saw his pics.....more so since I'm a HD700 owner myself. Pretty happy with its present color scheme though, so I won't be trying to paint it another color anytime soon. Though, admittedly, a black HD700 would looks so awesome. Now, so as not to derail or go off topic......YAAAY GRADO!
biggrin.gif

Jun 4, 2015 at 5:55 AM Post #25,275 of 65,605

Yeah, he painted his HD700 in gold, man, my heart bled when I saw his pics.....more so since I'm a HD700 owner myself. Pretty happy with its present color scheme though, so I won't be trying to paint it another color anytime soon. Though, admittedly, a black HD700 would looks so awesome. Now, so as not to derail or go off topic......YAAAY GRADO!
biggrin.gif

Oh lord....he painted it and painted the silver membrane ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back