Grado Fan Club!
Jun 3, 2015 at 8:31 AM Post #25,246 of 65,605
  lol@Jay!

If anyone wants to hear some AMAZING youtube music on their Grados, check out "Vektor Music". Not only are these two incredibly talented people, but the audio quality on some of these tracks is fantastic. Grado food!!!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP6qpxq195f8AEs4xFJyMHA

very nice, cheers for that.

Another female singer I've been listening to a lot recently is Ali Affleck. 20 / 30s style jazz that is well recorded.

The videos on youtube don't the band justice. Check out the link below for a sample.
http://aliaffleck.com/music

Jun 3, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #25,247 of 65,605

What is your take on WAV vs FLAC and FLAC vs mp3?

So... what format do you use in your daily usage? Is there a Psychological merit to using WAV or FLAC or DSD regardless of the scientific fact of differences, or lack thereof, between formats...?

i won't speak on lossy vs. lossless, there is a lot of opinion there and the word "audibility" comes up a lot.  i've done my own testing to decide what level i'm comfortable with but i don't disbelieve that others may have a different threshold than myself

but...FLAC and WAV are absolutely bit-identical, and anyone who hears any difference is PURELY in the psychological realm.  There are NO differences between (properly encoded) lossless formats.  

on a more Grado note, i haven't been with my headphones for a couple weeks but last night had one of those simply outstanding listening sessions with my RS1, just lovely

Jun 3, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #25,248 of 65,605

i won't speak on lossy vs. lossless, there is a lot of opinion there and the word "audibility" comes up a lot.  i've done my own testing to decide what level i'm comfortable with but i don't disbelieve that others may have a different threshold than myself

but...FLAC and WAV are absolutely bit-identical, and anyone who hears any difference is PURELY in the psychological realm.  There are NO differences between (properly encoded) lossless formats.  

on a more Grado note, i haven't been with my headphones for a couple weeks but last night had one of those simply outstanding listening sessions with my RS1, just lovely

Well, in theory there should not be any audible difference between FLAC and WAV. Still in this forum, there are members who state, that WAV sounds the best on their device. I am 100% sure, while listening music on your PC, no difference can be heard.

On the other hand, there are DAP makers, that cannot get folder sorting in alphabetical order straight on their device. How can one expect that their device decodes files correctly. The decoding process is also important for audio quality. WAV files are easier to decode than FLAC or MP3...

EDIT: got to add something Grado specific, so I do not derail the thead any further

The PS500e is awesome!

Jun 3, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #25,249 of 65,605

I um... I have a close acquaintance that study psychology major. She's not psychologist but I learned one or two things from her talking to me about stuff.
One interesting thing she did was conducting a social prank experiments on another friend back then, convincing him that he looked pale sickly and fever-ish, (he was fine), at the middle of the day after everybody who was participated on said prank asked him why he looked so pale that day, he was so convinced he was sick he got a headache and felt that he is sick.

So... if a healthy person can be manipulated to think that they are a little sick just by the power of suggestions... will / won't music listening session works similarly?

The brain is very powerful, heck!, it can make a perfectly healthy person faint at the sight of someone that's bleeding.

Jun 3, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #25,250 of 65,605
  Confirmed. It is a Nick Offerman reference and it is a compliment!

Nice 
biggrin.gif

Jun 3, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #25,251 of 65,605

I think that pressing gold foil against the letter is a great idea. I would try it on something similar first though. I hope that you'll post some pics if you succede.

I successfully improved the gold lettering that had rubbed off of the Grado SR325i "goldies" that I received yesterday.

I used the "Paint Marker" # 2544C, in Gold, from Testors.

Here is how the headphones arrived:

Here they are with one of the two earpieces done, with the paint marker shown...

and here they are, after...

As you can see, the paint marker has a hard chisel-cut felt tip.  I dabbed (or more correctly, stabbed) the tip at an angle toward the boundary.  I did the letters in two halves... the outer, where I repeatedly touched the tip on the middle through outer boundary of the letters, angled so it was pointing from center to edge at a 45 degree angle, and turning the headphone around to maintain comfortable arm position around the circle.  I then went around again stabbing toward the center, doing the lower part of the letters.  In this way, I could control the tip so as both to come close to, but not touch, the boundary it was pointing at, and to also avoid having the underside hit the other raised boundary.

I was careful to maintain the minor flaws of imperfection characteristic of handmade items such as Grados, so as not to come across as too automated and souless!

I am pleased with how they turned out. I have not handled them yet to be sure the paint doesn't rub off, as it is still drying.

The paint markers also come in silver (for lettering on silver or black Grados) and in black (for blackening imperfections on the screen).

Jun 3, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #25,252 of 65,605
  I successfully improved the gold lettering that had rubbed off of the Grado SR325i "goldies" that I received yesterday.

Here they are with one of the two earpieces done, with the paint marker shown...

I was careful to maintain the minor flaws of imperfection characteristic of handmade items such as Grados, so as not to come across as too automated and souless!

I am pleased with how they turned out. I have not handled them yet to be sure the paint doesn't rub off, as it is still drying.

The paint markers also come in silver (for lettering on silver or black Grados) and in black (for blackening imperfections on the screen).

you do good work !

Jun 3, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #25,253 of 65,605

As you can see, the paint marker has a hard chisel-cut felt tip.  I dabbed (or more correctly, stabbed) the tip at an angle toward the boundary.  I did the letters in two halves... the outer, where I repeatedly touched the tip on the middle through outer boundary of the letters, angled so it was pointing from center to edge at a 45 degree angle, and turning the headphone around to maintain comfortable arm position around the circle.  I then went around again stabbing toward the center, doing the lower part of the letters.  In this way, I could control the tip so as both to come close to, but not touch, the boundary it was pointing at, and to also avoid having the underside hit the other raised boundary.

With a steady hand like that, you must have been a surgeon in a former life.

Jun 3, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #25,255 of 65,605

Yeah, but how does the new paint sound?

Jun 3, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #25,257 of 65,605

I have not checked yet.  It is still drying.  I went back after writing my note above and also gold=painted the L and R, as well as the box around them,  and I am afraid to touch the headphones till tomorrow.

My small study I did earlier shows that red headphones are the fastest.  I have not investigated the effects of gold yet.

Jun 3, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #25,258 of 65,605
Hey guys. Just received some new, original G cushions for my PS1000's today, which is nice, since the ones I had had been used by bunches of others in a store (yes, it was a heavily rebated demo model). I also received a seemingly "original" Grado PS1000/GS1000 box which seemed perfect, although a bit expensive, and I had really looked forward to this. Upon reading on the box, however, it seems like Armour Home has made this product, so the claim that this is a "Grado labs" product feels a bit misleading. Still, they claim to be the main UK distributor, so this should be good stuff. Here are some pics I snapped:

Imagine the disappointment when I tried the case, and it turns out to be too tall to hold the PS1000's securely in place. At first I started thinking about RMA'ing, but not being one who gives up without a fight, I started pondering about what to do. I then remembered that I recently received to knockoff pads, which I pretty much wrote off after stacker45's advice and havent even tried (yes, I'm lazy). What I ended up doing was to squeeze these into the accessory pocket in the case, then moving the pocket to right above the drivers, since it has Velcro on the back. And guess what? Perfect! The Chinese knockoff pads did their magic, and now keeps the PS1000's securely in its place, without anything moving around like crazy inside the case. As an added bonus, I can now slip my Oppo ha2 under the pads inside of the pocket, so that one also stays protected, without bouncing around and damaging itself or the set. You can see the pads, placed in the pocket, on the top pic.

Yes, this may not be an ideal case, but still I haven really seen any better box out there (which will keep the set more safe, and still have plenty of room for the cable), and I doubt that importing one here to Norway will be much cheaper than this one (it cost around $60, or 60£ if you're in the UK). The only "downside" right now is that the cushions will get slightly temporarily warped upon removing the set after storage. This can however be remedied by adjusting the headband, so the cushions extend further out from the headband. The tradeoff is that they then will stay a little less put, and that I will have to re-adjust the headband, which isnt all that practical for regular usage. Btw,the PS1000's are so heavy, that making a case specifically for them needs to be done carefully, as they really are prone to movement, and its difficult to avoid putting some kind of pressure on the cushions to achieve this. The case looks really nice, which is a bonus, although a shabby little detail is that the patch on the top of the case is a bit tilted, which isnt a big thing, but it is an unnecessary little flaw, that should have been picked up in QC for this price.

All in all, very happy with this solution, and I am looking forward to bringing the PS1000's to our little cabin by the sea, without any hassle or worries. Have a great day/night/morning or whatever you are having people!

Jun 3, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #25,259 of 65,605

The paint wil sound better with this:

P8 A Class gall bladder pre- amp tube headphone amplifier with dual ring cow

On EBay now!

Jun 3, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #25,260 of 65,605
  Hey guys. Just received some new, original G cushions for my PS1000's today, which is nice, since the ones I had had been used by bunches of others in a store (yes, it was a heavily rebated demo model). I also received a seemingly "original" Grado PS1000/GS1000 box which seemed perfect, although a bit expensive, and I had really looked forward to this. Upon reading on the box, however, it seems like Armour Home has made this product, so the claim that this is a "Grado labs" product feels a bit misleading. Still, they claim to be the main UK distributor, so this should be good stuff. Here are some pics I snapped:

Imagine the disappointment when I tried the case, and it turns out to be too tall to hold the PS1000's securely in place. At first I started thinking about RMA'ing, but not being one who gives up without a fight, I started pondering about what to do. I then remembered that I recently received to knockoff pads, which I pretty much wrote off after stacker45's advice and havent even tried (yes, I'm lazy). What I ended up doing was to squeeze these into the accessory pocket in the case, then moving the pocket to right above the drivers, since it has Velcro on the back. And guess what? Perfect! The Chinese knockoff pads did their magic, and now keeps the PS1000's securely in its place, without anything moving around like crazy inside the case. As an added bonus, I can now slip my Oppo ha2 under the pads inside of the pocket, so that one also stays protected, without bouncing around and damaging itself or the set. You can see the pads, placed in the pocket, on the top pic.

Yes, this may not be an ideal case, but still I haven really seen any better box out there (which will keep the set more safe, and still have plenty of room for the cable), and I doubt that importing one here to Norway will be much cheaper than this one (it cost around $60, or 60£ if you're in the UK). The only "downside" right now is that the cushions will get slightly temporarily warped upon removing the set after storage. This can however be remedied by adjusting the headband, so the cushions extend further out from the headband. The tradeoff is that they then will stay a little less put, and that I will have to re-adjust the headband, which isnt all that practical for regular usage. Btw,the PS1000's are so heavy, that making a case specifically for them needs to be done carefully, as they really are prone to movement, and its difficult to avoid putting some kind of pressure on the cushions to achieve this. The case looks really nice, which is a bonus, although a shabby little detail is that the patch on the top of the case is a bit tilted, which isnt a big thing, but it is an unnecessary little flaw, that should have been picked up in QC for this price.

All in all, very happy with this solution, and I am looking forward to bringing the PS1000's to our little cabin by the sea, without any hassle or worries. Have a great day/night/morning or whatever you are having people!

That's a great idea, but do you actually travel with your PS1k, or is it just for storage when you're not using them?.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back