Grado Fan Club!
Apr 21, 2015 at 1:51 AM Post #24,301 of 65,629
  There really is no point sending budget level Grado to GradoLab for repair even if you could. By the time you paid for shipping and packaging, you might as well buy a new pair.
GradoLab has very good after sale service within US- fixed reasonable prices for different models. Overseas is a different story, God knows how these local dealer can do warranty for all their models. Don't forget that Grados are also so much more expensive to buy outside of the US. I wouldn't buy them now I am in London.

True.

BTW, nice to see you stopping by this thread. I've read your posts on several of the Grado threads while looking up some stuff. I recently stumbled upon this one: http://www.head-fi.org/t/616635/joe-grado-happy-88th-birthday/30 and I thought it was just a great thing about you sending Mr. Grado some sketches for hise birthday celebration and thinking I would've love to see them!

Oh and I also remembered you because of this!:

Apr 21, 2015 at 1:54 AM Post #24,302 of 65,629

Has anybody had their E Grado reterminated with a 1/4" plug-in. If so who did the work for you and how much did it cost? I am getting real tired of that little tiny 1/8 inch plug on there and constantly looking for the adapter.

Not sure what you mean. My GS1000e has a regular 1/4-inch plug.

Oh snap! mine does too!  

I just got mine in today. It looks like these were from one of the earlier batches, since they are coming out with light brown leather headbands, and apparently with the 1/8" plug.
Does yours have a black headband?

Apr 21, 2015 at 5:16 AM Post #24,305 of 65,629
Very nice, worms.

Apr 21, 2015 at 5:30 AM Post #24,306 of 65,629
  Has anybody had their E Grado reterminated with a 1/4" plug-in. If so who did the work for you and how much did it cost? I am getting real tired of that little tiny 1/8 inch plug on there and constantly looking for the adapter.

when i had the 325e, i blew a driver and when i sent it back to grado for repair ($40) i had them put the 1/4" jack on, no additional charge, and it looked stock
i bet brian at btg audio can do it, and he does great work, highly recommended 

Apr 21, 2015 at 6:11 AM Post #24,307 of 65,629
  Very nice, worms.

thanks! I'll post some pics of the Gs1ke when I get home.
smile.gif

Apr 21, 2015 at 6:12 AM Post #24,308 of 65,629
Apr 21, 2015 at 8:56 AM Post #24,309 of 65,629
  True.

BTW, nice to see you stopping by this thread. I've read your posts on several of the Grado threads while looking up some stuff. I recently stumbled upon this one: http://www.head-fi.org/t/616635/joe-grado-happy-88th-birthday/30 and I thought it was just a great thing about you sending Mr. Grado some sketches for hise birthday celebration and thinking I would've love to see them!

Oh and I also remembered you because of this!:

They were just rough doodles, nothing to write home about.
It started off when Joe's wife Brigitte was unwell. I sent her some drawings from time to time as get-well-soon cards.
May they both rest in peace.

Apr 21, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #24,310 of 65,629
  Oh snap! mine does too!  

I just got mine in today. It looks like these were from one of the earlier batches, since they are coming out with light brown leather headbands, and apparently with the 1/8" plug.
Does yours have a black headband?

My GS1000es were built in February 2015 and have the 1/4" plug, brown leather headband, and wood that beautifully matches the RA1 and the Grado wood headphone box.

Apr 21, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #24,311 of 65,629
Does Grado make too many phones for its own good? 
I was listening to my GS1000e phones for a long time yesterday and was astounded how fine they were, a real triumph of engineering and art, a top-tier super-refined phone that IMHO is as good as phones from $2K to $5K or crazy-priced vintage phones.
But then I thought how rarely outside the Grado threads they are mentioned when a discussion of flagship phones comes up in other threads. They just don't get the respect or buzz they deserve, and a lot of times many have just not heard them, or at
least not heard them with a high-quality upstream chain that they deserve (and they do scale up well).
Perhaps Grado has so many overlapping model lines (RS, PS, GS, SR...) that it's overwhelming for people and they never focus on a single one, and a superb phone like the 1000e gets lost in the general noise.

With Senn/Audeze/Oppo/Fostex, it's easy to focus on the HD800/LCD3/PM1/TH900.
With Grado, it's not clear for the average user.
(Actually, Audeze is starting to confuse people with the LCD3, X, and XC overlapping lines...; you can sense this in the forums.)

Apr 21, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #24,312 of 65,629
I was listening to my GS1000e phones for a long time yesterday and was astounded how fine they were, a real triumph of engineering and art, a top-tier super-refined phone that IMHO is as good as phones from $2K to $5K or crazy-priced vintage phones.
But then I thought how rarely outside the Grado threads they are mentioned when a discussion of flagship phones comes up in other threads. They just don't get the respect or buzz they deserve, and a lot of times many have just not heard them, or at
least not heard them with a high-quality upstream chain that they deserve (and they do scale up well).
Perhaps Grado has so many overlapping model lines (RS, PS, GS, SR...) that it's overwhelming for people and they never focus on a single one, and a superb phone like the 1000e gets lost in the general noise.

(Actually, Audeze is starting to confuse people with the LCD3, X, and XC overlapping lines...; you can sense this in the forums.)

Unlike many other headphone manufacturers, Grado does not really advertise their headphones directly.  It is more word of mouth and audiophile independent reviews that make their reputation.  While you will see many other headphone brand manufacturers at shows such as CanJam, I doubt that you will find Grado there.

There are some of us (me, for one) who take it as a personal challenge to accumulate one of each of the large number of current Grado headphone models (plus some older vintage ones).

Since they make each one of their on- or over-ear ones in their Brooklyn "factory"  (former grocery store), they may be making as many as they care to and selling them all.

Apr 21, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #24,313 of 65,629

I also believe that there are a lot of people that think because they paid more it is better.
confused_face.gif

Apr 21, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #24,314 of 65,629
  I also believe that there are a lot of people that think because they paid more it is better.
confused_face.gif

Shhhh.. that is my new business that I am going to use to fund my headphone addiction.  I will buy headphones for $300, put a special sticker on them, and resell them for $600, thereby doubling their sound quality!

Apr 21, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #24,315 of 65,629

What do you mean by ''crazy priced vintage'' I want some model numbers.

It's not surprising that the GS1000e aren't mentioned in flagship discussion threads, they're not Grado's flagship model.

You say that ''with Grado it's not clear for the average user'', I say that with the amount of Frankensteins they have running around, it's not even clear for Grado themselves.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back