Grado Fan Club!
Apr 20, 2015 at 6:14 AM Post #24,286 of 65,633

How much were those HD650 on the deal ?

I am going to be revisiting them again in the not so distant future also.

They sound great with the mad ear, by the way...the good dr. tuned this amp with the senn HD600 series.  
smile.gif

They've been popping up on Amazon Warehouse Deals for like $213 (used, like new). Mine came up to $230 after taxes, still a killer deal! I should mention though, they came down to like $275 brand new from Amazon like a week ago IIRC. 

I remember you mentioning that combo with the mad Ear+. Not to mention, I've also read that I pairs very well with the Gs-1 and the bottlehead crack which I own.

I hear they are epic with the crack.

Thanks for the info, worms.

Apr 20, 2015 at 6:20 AM Post #24,288 of 65,633
  ^yes Sir!
I should be getting the Gs1ke today (fingers crossed) and HD650 tomorrow.
popcorn.gif

GS1ke and HD650 in back to back days......"life is good"

Apr 20, 2015 at 6:31 AM Post #24,289 of 65,633
They've been popping up on Amazon Warehouse Deals for like $213 (used, like new). Mine came up to $230 after taxes, still a killer deal! I should mention though, they came down to like $275 brand new from Amazon like a week ago IIRC. 

I remember you mentioning that combo with the mad Ear+. Not to mention, I've also read that I pairs very well with the Gs-1 and the bottlehead crack which I own.

you know they sell them at $615 where i'm at. even with 30%-40% tax, it's still cheaper to get the $275 hd650 than it is to buy one locally at $615

Apr 20, 2015 at 6:35 AM Post #24,291 of 65,633

you know they sell them at $615 where i'm at. even with 30%-40% tax, it's still cheaper to get the $275 hd650 than it is to buy one locally at $615

pfff. Forget drugs, I'm gonna start smuggling Headphones over there!
tongue.gif

Apr 20, 2015 at 6:42 AM Post #24,292 of 65,633
yeah. sell them $450 people still buy, haha.

to be fair, the local sennheiser dealer is the worst, other brands are still make sense, especially grado, anything other than ps500e is fairly priced...

Apr 20, 2015 at 7:04 AM Post #24,294 of 65,633
are Grados priced ok there? I know they can also be quite pricey outside of the U.S.

they're alright. other than the $800 ps500e, the rest are 15% or so higher than the US retail price, it's pretty good.

The annoying thing is that they don't accept service claim if the purchase is not originated from them. And they've only been a Grado dealer for the past 2 years. I have an old grado that i wanted to fix, i tried contacting Gradolabs directly via e-mail, and they said all service in other parts of the world is the responsibility of that region's Authorized Dealer. So I contacted the Asia Regional Dealer in Singapore, who then redirects me to the local dealer in the country. They said "fixing a low-end grado model will incur shipping cost to SG, import tax back, and other costs." When I said i'm willing to pay for everything they then change their tune to not willing to accept my headphone because it was bought before they were the local dealer.

Grado is a small company sure, but there are some things going on about how their worldwide dealers act that they are (in my assumption) probably not aware of. The local dealer is great all things considered, and it's pretty normal to only have one year warranty, regardless of what the manufacturer actually stated (like Audez'e and Sennheiser), so i understand it is the common way of how things are around here.

I do however wish there is a better channel for people in remote location to contact Gradolabs directly instead of having to get redirected here and there.
The world is small now, (maybe not this month and next May) but afterwards i'm fine with sending my old headphone to gradolabs and if they charge me with the shipping back i'm alright with that too. Sentimental value and everything...

Apr 20, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #24,296 of 65,633
  I've now returned from a several-week odyssey from my PS1000s, as I developed an itch for what I once had with my (three-times sold away) HiFiMAN HE-500s, that could simultaneously rock my bass-ment while tickling my treble fancy!

I'd had them as a complement to my Grados, but sold and bought used ones several times, always to add to my Grado collection (specifically, my HP1000s, and my vintage RS1s).

So I've been out looking again, starting with the HE-500s.  But now HiFiMAN has the HE-400i and the HE-560 as well.  Comparing them made me remember the great bass from the HE-500, but with my Grado-matured ear, I missed the transparent trebles.  The HE-400i and HE-560 both had those trebles, with the HE-560 having the good strong bass I was seeking in the HE-500s (he HE-400i did not).

The HE-560s were nearly TWICE as much as the $500 I was resigned to spend for the HE-500s, more than I wanted to spend.  But they sounded SO similar to my Sennheiser HD 800s that I started to ask... how can I use my HD-800s to scratch my itch for simultaneous great bass and wonderful trebles.

So I have been working on how to untether myself from the HDVD 800 amp, built by Sennheiser to showcase the HD 800s (for example, they actually used panels of listeners to set their amp output impedance to an unlikely 43 ohms, as the best fit for the 300 ohms-and-up (with frequency) input impedance of the HD 800s.

I found a 4-foot HD 800 cable, and I have found a portable amp that should do justice to the HD 800s (the CEntrance HiFi M8).  Both are on order, but neither are here, but I am within days of scratching that bass itch.

During that interval, I discovered several new recordings that were wonderful on any of my headphones, including the Preservation Hall Jazz Band, Jazz at The Pawnshop, Pat Metheny Group's "We Live," and many others).

So as I return to my beloved Grados, I got out my HP1000s to listen to with these new (to me) recordings.

WOW!!!!

This is the first time I have really appreciated the precision of the Joseph Grado Signature Products HP1000 (HP1 version), driven by the Joseph Grado Signature Products HPA-1 amp. 

I think it has been a matter of my ears developing, listening to some Very well made recordings including those mentioned above.  but WOW... I had never appreciated my HP1000s as much as now.  I just could not take them off.  I would stop pecking on my iPad, turn off the TV, take off my glasses, close my eyes, and Just Listen.  For a Whole Album.  Multiple Times.  I should add that I have been using my cherished vintage Sony Discman D-25 player from the 1980s as my source. 

So for now, 1) I am back to my Grados as my main listening headphones, 2) I've gotten the HP1000 as my main listeners for now, which had been the PS1000, and 3) I am trying to scratch my bass itch with my Sennheisers made portable through a strong DAC/amp and short cable.

For some reason, I thought that your RS1 were classics, not vintage, anyway, I feel the same way about my HP-2, HPA-2 combo. I just hope that my RA-1 will have similar synergy with my RS1, when it arrives.

I too, like to use a vintage CD player. I really like the smooth, yet detailed sound of my Technics SL-PS700. It's paired with my 1978 Marantz 2226B reciever, wich gives my dedicated headphone amps a run for their money.

Apr 20, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #24,297 of 65,633
There really is no point sending budget level Grado to GradoLab for repair even if you could. By the time you paid for shipping and packaging, you might as well buy a new pair.
GradoLab has very good after sale service within US- fixed reasonable prices for different models. Overseas is a different story, God knows how these local dealer can do warranty for all their models. Don't forget that Grados are also so much more expensive to buy outside of the US. I wouldn't buy them now I am in London.

Apr 20, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #24,298 of 65,633

For some reason, I thought that your RS1 were classics, not vintage, anyway, I feel the same way about my HP-2, HPA-2 combo. I just hope that my RA-1 will have similar synergy with my RS1, when it arrives.

I too, like to use a vintage CD player. I really like the smooth, yet detailed sound of my Technics SL-PS700. It's paired with my 1978 Marantz 2226B reciever, wich gives my dedicated headphone amps a run for their money.

My RS1s are actually "classic" as opposed to "vintage."  Since I was referring to my older Grados that I had traded away multiple HE-500s, as "vintage,"  I meant that in the collective sense. 

The Sony Discman D-25 is sufficiently impressive that it has its own thread here on head-fi.org.  Consdered by some to be the best portable CD player (though its design pre-dates anti skip processing!)  I love mine!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back