Grado Fan Club!
Sep 20, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #18,556 of 66,291
  About a month ago I grabbed a pair of new PS500is for a great price as the e series were being pushed hard.  Loved them but thought the U shaped sound left the mids a bit hollow, and was intrigued with the idea of the RS1s (mostly from reading about them on this forum).  Just this week I found a price for new pair of RS1is for a little less than what I paid for the PS500is!  So I jumped on them figuring to A/B them and sell the pair I liked least.

Initially I thought the RS1is were definitely more to my tastes after listening for a day.  Before reboxing the PS500, I thought I'd give it one last listen.

Yes, you guessed it, another first world problem.  I like them both; each has its rightful place in my collection.

One day there will be a huge sale ........

I rue to find that Grados are just like Lay's potato chips... you can't take just one!

My 6 Grados at today's Detroit 2014 head-fi Meet.

Sep 21, 2014 at 7:06 AM Post #18,559 of 66,291
I've had my pair of grados for a couple of years now.. Recently ive been having a problem with the headphone plug leaking some type of green liquid. Anyone else had this problem before?

Sounds like maybe there is some corrosion going on with the wire.

You can send them back to Grado for repair....they repair for a very reasonable price.....would probably hook you up with a whole new cable.

Sep 21, 2014 at 7:21 AM Post #18,561 of 66,291
I've had my pair of grados for a couple of years now.. Recently ive been having a problem with the headphone plug leaking some type of green liquid. Anyone else had this problem before?

Sounds like maybe there is some corrosion going on with the wire.

You can send them back to Grado for repair....they repair for a very reasonable price.....would probably hook you up with a whole new cable.

yeah, Grado just charges a flat fee repair for their headphones. Prices depend on which model/series of headphone you own. I sent in my Sr80 in and had new drivers and cable installed for $30. I know for Rs1's they charge, $100 or $150? (I forgot)

Anyhow, in some cases they might even take care of it for you, send them in email, they'll get back to you pretty quick.

@joseph69 how much did they charge for your Sr325?

Sep 21, 2014 at 7:36 AM Post #18,562 of 66,291

yeah, Grado just charges a flat fee repair for their headphones. Prices depend on which model/series of headphone you own. I sent in my Sr80 in and had new drivers and cable installed for $30. I know for Rs1's they charge, $100 or $150? (I forgot)

Anyhow, in some cases they might even take care of it for you, send them in email, they'll get back to you pretty quick.

@joseph69 how much did they charge for your Sr325?

They charged me $45.00 and they came back sounding amazing. I had e-mailed Grado to ask what was wrong with them, but they  said their techs had left for the day, and I never pursued.

Sep 21, 2014 at 7:41 AM Post #18,563 of 66,291
  They charged me $45.00 and they came back sounding amazing. I had e-mailed Grado to ask what was wrong with them, but they  said their techs had left for the day, and I never pursued.

Thanks! my sr80's sound pretty damn good imo. I'm burning them in right now, pretty impressive for the price. I'm probably gonna sell them soon since I also have sr225 and Rs1, but it's a damn shame to sell them for like $60 to $70 at the most.

Sep 21, 2014 at 7:44 AM Post #18,564 of 66,291

Thanks! my sr80's sound pretty damn good imo. I'm burning them in right now, pretty impressive for the price. I'm probably gonna sell them soon since I also have sr225 and Rs1, but it's a damn shame to sell them for like $60 to $70 at the most.

No kidding, right.

The SR60 & SR80 are a no brainer for the money.

Sep 21, 2014 at 8:00 AM Post #18,565 of 66,291

No problem.
I agree, for the price of the 60/80's it just wouldn't be worth it to sell them, due to them being such an excellent headphone.

No kidding, right.

The SR60 & SR80 are a no brainer for the money.

100%

Sep 21, 2014 at 8:16 AM Post #18,567 of 66,291
  oh shciit! First time listening to a Joe Bonamassa CD.  daaam, boy, I think I picked the right one!

Thanks Whirlwind!

You bet, sir.

Sep 21, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #18,568 of 66,291
Got to hear the PS1000 today and they are killer! However, I would not call them in a marriage of the two you described. To me they are a more refined PS 500 with more air and detail up top, I'll be at the hair on the peaky side.

Even though I never thought I'd say this, I prefer both of the PS series to the RS1. While it does do mids better, the RS1 bass and treble are not as good, and its soundstage is smaller.

the ps1k to me, is the ps500 "all grown up"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back