Grado Fan Club!
Jan 5, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #11,327 of 65,639
Hey Grado fans, 

Happy PS500 owner here, but the new Bushmills have me wondering...where can I get that headband? If, as I assume, it's not available  from Grado, what are the best aftermarket options? 

I'm aware of the Turbulent Labs Manta, but I'd prefer a more natural tan like the Bushmills. Anyone have any good recommendations? 

thanks!

Jan 5, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #11,328 of 65,639
  jaywillin, so which would you prefer, the RS or the GS, or are they two totally different headphones IYO?

i'm not sure if i prefer one over the other, they are both great. the first impression was the gs is like a ps500 on steroids ,because of the bass presence  but the more i listen, its more than just a bigger 500, the treble is so detailed, no hardness,
i can see value in having both the rs1 and the gs, kinda like having the rs1 and the ps500 is a great combo
how's that for a non- committal answer ??

oh, and thanks to you mr joseph, i'm lusting after the WA6 !!  its all your fault lol 
biggrin.gif

Jan 5, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #11,329 of 65,639
  Hey Grado fans, 

Happy PS500 owner here, but the new Bushmills have me wondering...where can I get that headband? If, as I assume, it's not available  from Grado, what are the best aftermarket options? 

I'm aware of the Turbulent Labs Manta, but I'd prefer a more natural tan like the Bushmills. Anyone have any good recommendations? 

thanks!

Ask Turbulent to make you one in a natural finish.
Or take any Grado band to a leather shop and they can make you a custom replacement easy.

Jan 5, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #11,330 of 65,639

i'm not sure if i prefer one over the other, they are both great. the first impression was the gs is like a ps500 on steroids ,because of the bass presence  but the more i listen, its more than just a bigger 500, the treble is so detailed, no hardness,
i can see value in having both the rs1 and the gs, kinda like having the rs1 and the ps500 is a great combo
how's that for a non- committal answer ??

oh, and thanks to you mr joseph, i'm lusting after the WA6 !!  its all your fault lol 
biggrin.gif

Your killing me!!! Now I would definitely love to hear the GS's, I may order them to listen from B&H Photo. Good luck with the WA6 hope you enjoy it plus you've had/have quite a few amps to compare it to. Are you ordering it from Woo with the outputs, or have you found one on the for sale forums?

Jan 5, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #11,331 of 65,639
  Your killing me!!! Now I would definitely love to hear the GS's, I may order them to listen from B&H Photo. Good luck with the WA6 hope you enjoy it plus you've had/have quite a few amps to compare it to. Are you ordering it from Woo with the outputs, or have you found one on the for sale forums?

i had found one on the sale forum, back when i messaged you about the pre-outs, but i couldn't swing it at the time, and can't right now either,
but that lead me to emailing woo, and i found out from frank, that they could do it

Jan 5, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #11,332 of 65,639
Jay-you're the Grado king...what do you say-is the 225 or 325 the better buy in terms of price point?

Having owned both, the difference in sound quality was not that great. 325 is much more 'premium' feeling , with the metal cups & leather headband, but it's heavy and I actually preferred the 225 in the end as it's far more comfortable to wear.

However, I'd say save up for a used RS2i or RS1i- that's were you'll get a real sonic improvement over the SR80 ... And you'll only end up wanting one anyway ......

Jan 5, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #11,333 of 65,639

nooooooo king here, i haven't heard the 80, 125, or 325,

Cool-I was just going to say to buyers, that I looked at the 80, 225 and 325 and for $200 retail, the 225 was the sweet spot for me...no regrets. Out of the box, no tweeks except the tape mod, I find it a tad less fatiguing than the 325-and much of my music is fatiguing!

Jan 5, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #11,334 of 65,639

Cool-I was just going to say to buyers, that I looked at the 80, 225 and 325 and for $200 retail, the 225 was the sweet spot for me...no regrets. Out of the box, no tweeks except the tape mod, I find it a tad less fatiguing than the 325-and much of my music is fatiguing!

well, all kidding aside, especially if you buy used, above the 225, that pesky law of diminishing returns start kicking in

Jan 5, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #11,335 of 65,639
However, I'd say save up for a used RS2i or RS1i- that's were you'll get a real sonic improvement over the SR80 ... And you'll only end up wanting one anyway ......

I think the RS1 is it it's own league because it has larger cups which do affect the sound. They also have sweet metal gimbals!

225 has same drivers and cables as the 325 and RS2. One can argue there are sonic benefits having the inner and outer cups made from the same material.

For $100 more, 325 adds the metal cups and leather headband. Sonic improvement depends on metal outer cups sounding better than plastic cups. These weigh more and are arguably less comfortable.

For $300 more than the 225, the RS2 gets you one piece wood cups and the leather headband. Sonic improvement depends on benefits of wood over metal/plastic and one piece cups over glued two piece cups.

Jan 5, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #11,336 of 65,639
I have the 80i, 325is and the RS1i's, and although I've never heard the 225's, I would never part with the 325is's. Also I feel they are more comfortable than the 80' and the RS's…yes I understand they are heavier than these two models, but I find their weight to be very comfortable on my head. I leave my headphones with the drivers facing down when not in use, I'm starting to think the reason the 325's are so comfortable to me is because the weight of the aluminum cups may be flattening the (L) cushions a bit, and they are bit softer because of this, I don't know.

Jan 5, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #11,337 of 65,639
Are there differences in cup size between the RS1i and RS2i?
And how would you guys compare the sound to the SR series? I have 125i's and I like how bright they are... are the RS brighter? Punchier bass? And i'm guessing the mids would be as lovely as ever...

I know this has been mentioned loads of times... but there's so much info and I've completely lost track :frowning2: 

Jan 5, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #11,338 of 65,639
And how would you guys compare the sound to the SR series? I have 125i's and I like how bright they are... are the RS brighter? Punchier bass? And i'm guessing the mids would be as lovely as ever...

I know this has been mentioned loads of times... but there's so much info and I've completely lost track :frowning2: 

Their is a difference between the RS1i/2i cup size, I know the cups are deeper on the RS1i, but I don't know if they are larger in diameter (but I don't believe they are, I think all of the Grado drivers are the same diameter). I also like the brightness of my 80i's and though I wouldn't say that my RS1i's are bright, they are along the lines of the crisp, clear detail of the 80's, just more refined, where as my 325is's (I don't know why) do not have that brightness to them as you say, so they are a good compliment to the 80i's/RS1i's, they are totally different sounding than my 80i's/RS1i's, (though most would probably disagree on this statement).

Jan 5, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #11,339 of 65,639

Yes, RS2 is same size/shape as the older 325 cups.
RS1 cups are larger. 
When the 325 first came out it was John Grados first premium can. This was before the RS1/2.
The existing models consisted of the expiring Joe Grado HP-1000 and the 1st generation plastic SR Series (SR100?200/300).
Joe came up with the 2nd generation SR Series, the SR125/225/325.
The SR125/225 had the same small body as the SR100/200/300.
The SR325 borrowed the larger cup size (and metal construction) from the HP-1000. 
The larger cups improved sound which is why Grado increased cups size in the SR"i" improvements.
When John developed the wood RS he started with the 325 cup size for the RS2 and settled on the RS1 cup size as the ultimate for those drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back