Grado Fan Club!
Jan 5, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #11,341 of 65,714
  Thanks guys :)

And Parbaked, that's interesting... I like knowing that sort of stuff! :)

parbaked is in the know, about grado !

Jan 5, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #11,342 of 65,714
I know that most people here will have played with the pads and I'm looking for some advice. I love my SR225i's, they are my go-to phones for rock, but I have really weird ears (pointy at the sides, but not very tall) and they touch the driver casing when I'm using the bowls, making it quite painful to wear them for more than an hour. Would the TTVJ flats help?

Jan 5, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #11,344 of 65,714
  I know that most people here will have played with the pads and I'm looking for some advice. I love my SR225i's, they are my go-to phones for rock, but I have really weird ears (pointy at the sides, but not very tall) and they touch the driver casing when I'm using the bowls, making it quite painful to wear them for more than an hour. Would the TTVJ flats help?

The TTVJ flat pads will sit against your ears, but they create a strong bass, which can overwhelm the higher frequencies, and also narrow the soundstage IME. Maybe you should try  the (S) cushions stock or quarter modded, and see how you like the comfort and the sound.

Jan 5, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #11,345 of 65,714
I love my Grados so much. I have the SR-80 (the first "hi-fi" headphones I ever owned) and the SR-125 and I adore both of them. The Grado sound is just so warm and fun, especially for on-ears. I find these great for indie music, and often have found myself dozing off between (or even in) classes because I find them so relaxing. 

Jan 5, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #11,346 of 65,714
  The TTVJ flat pads will sit against your ears, but they create a strong bass, which can overwhelm the higher frequencies, and also narrow the soundstage IME. Maybe you should try  the (S) cushions stock or quarter modded, and see how you like the comfort and the sound.

Would the HD414 pads work? I can't find a pair of official ones on Amazon.

Jan 5, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #11,347 of 65,714
  Their is a difference between the RS1i/2i cup size, I know the cups are deeper on the RS1i, but I don't know if they are larger in diameter (but I don't believe they are, I think all of the Grado drivers are the same diameter). 

RS1 cups are proportionally larger than RS2 (same proportions but larger) so they have a wider diameter - hence the need for the metal gimbal.
The plastic gimbal doesn't fit and it would require a new mould to make wider gimbals so they machined the new metal ones instead.
The 325/RS2 are already 'Frankenstein' looking and you wouldn't want proportionally deeper cups.
The size difference is small <10%.
The dimension of the inner opening, which holds the driver, is the same, so yes, the drivers are same size but  that doesn't impact cup width or volume.

When they came out with the slightly larger still GS/PS1K cans, they kept the width same as RS1 so same metal gimbals.

Jan 5, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #11,348 of 65,714
  Are there differences in cup size between the RS1i and RS2i?
And how would you guys compare the sound to the SR series? I have 125i's and I like how bright they are... are the RS brighter? Punchier bass? And i'm guessing the mids would be as lovely as ever...

I know this has been mentioned loads of times... but there's so much info and I've completely lost track :frowning2: 

IMO, the RS1 is not bright at all. In fact, I find them a little warm, very smooth, and quite refined. They give the feeling of sitting in a soft, dark brown leather sofa in front of a nice crackling fire...18 year old single malt in one hand, the other tapping to the beat of your favorite tune. Lights dim, lost in the music.

And yes, the mids are lovely. 

Jan 5, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #11,349 of 65,714
  Would the HD414 pads work? I can't find a pair of official ones on Amazon.

Yeah a lot of people use them, but I've never tried them myself.
Check B&H Photo or Crutchfield for the (S) cushions, they should be $10.00U.S.
  RS1 cups are proportionally larger than RS2 (same proportions but larger) so they have a wider diameter - hence the need for the metal gimbal.
The plastic gimbal doesn't fit and it would require a new mould to make wider gimbals so they machined the new metal ones instead.
The 325/RS2 are already 'Frankenstein' looking and you wouldn't want proportionally deeper cups.
The size difference is small <10%.
The dimension of the inner opening, which holds the driver, is the same, so yes, the drivers are same size but  that doesn't impact cup width or volume.

When they came out with the slightly larger still GS/PS1K cans, they kept the width same as RS1 so same metal gimbals.

Good info, thanks for the knowledge!

Jan 5, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #11,350 of 65,714
  IMO, the RS1 is not bright at all. In fact, I find them a little warm, very smooth, and quite refined. They give the feeling of sitting in a soft, dark brown leather sofa in front of a nice crackling fire...18 year old single malt in one hand, the other tapping to the beat of your favorite tune. Lights dim, lost in the music.

That's a great analogy, but I have a different take on it.  I find the RS1's to be, well, boring compared to the 225i's.  The sense of 'being there' is lacking.  I really don't want to knock Grado, but I have to admit that so far I am underwhelmed by the set Jay is letting me try. 

It doesn't help that I have two other cans in the same price range that the RS1's are going up against.  And to be honest, I'm not sure any $600 headphone can trump the Alpha Dogs in my arsenal. But I did expect more in the RS1's, not less.

I hope to have a few more days to try them out.  Who knows- they may end up being my favorite can, but at this point I kinda doubt it.

Jan 5, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #11,351 of 65,714
That's a great analogy, but I have a different take on it.  I find the RS1's to be, well, boring compared to the 225i's.  The sense of 'being there' is lacking.  I really don't want to knock Grado, but I have to admit that so far I am underwhelmed by the set Jay is letting me try. 

It doesn't help that I have two other cans in the same price range that the RS1's are going up against.  And to be honest, I'm not sure any $600 headphone can trump the Alpha Dogs in my arsenal. But I did expect more in the RS1's, not less.

I hope to have a few more days to try them out.  Who knows- they may end up being my favorite can, but at this point I kinda doubt it.
really? I find the 225 boring compared to the RS1. Maybe it's the 225s "imperfections" (not saying the RS1 is perfect) that makes the 225 exciting for you. Personally I like the way the RS1 presents music. It is still the only headphone that has made everyone I've made try them say "wow". But guess I can see what you mean. The RS1 is more laid back and refined. The 225 is all "punk rock".

Jan 5, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #11,352 of 65,714
Originally Posted by ArmAndHammer /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This is exactly how I listen to my RS1i's with the WA6, lights dimmed on a brown leather recliner, with a nice crackling (electric) fireplace, but it looks real, and no beers for me, LOL!!!

Jan 5, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #11,353 of 65,714

I can also understand where you are coming from by saying that the RS is boring compared to the SR models. I personally don't find it boring in any way, it is just more refined and relaxing to listen to, but still to me has that up front Grado detail, tight bass and crisp sound, it just doesn't sound as raw/live as the SR models, but I do enjoy it very much. Sorry to hear it is not to your liking, I felt that way about the 325is when I first got it comparing it to the 80i's, but them realized there similar in the same way, but very different, and I enjoy all the Grados I own because of these different similarities. Listen to them as long as you are able too, you may be surprised with the end result! This is also the reason I would never part with my 80i's, 325is's and the RS1i's.

Jan 5, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #11,354 of 65,714
Thanks for the feedback on the RS1's.  I really don't mean to knock them.  It's more a compliment to the 225's for me.

Jan 5, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #11,355 of 65,714

Grado's best current can IMO!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back