Grado Fan Club!
Mar 27, 2014 at 9:47 AM Post #13,201 of 65,692
very nice, music4life!

DO impart the details of your lovely gear......

We're always keen to know the skinny on what others are using to drive their Gradooooooozzzzzze!

welcome to this thread!

o2smile.gif

shoot.
is that smilie wearing Grados/
or Audeezers?

ack.

Mar 27, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #13,203 of 65,692
  i noticed this thread just now...this is my first post in this thread...as becoming a new Grado fan..i would like to say Hi to everyone here and wish u all well... :)

Nice to see some Alessandro love. Beautiful photography as well.
What were your main reasons for going with the ms-2 over the sr-325is and the ms-pro over rs-1? 

Mar 27, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #13,204 of 65,692
  very nice, music4life!

DO impart the details of your lovely gear......

We're always keen to know the skinny on what others are using to drive their Gradooooooozzzzzze!

welcome to this thread!

o2smile.gif

shoot.
is that smilie wearing Grados/
or Audeezers?

ack.

Thanks DogMeat :)

- 1st is ipod+CLASdb+MK3B+ is a very good combo for MSPRO. Also the M8 and Theorem are very nice too for MSPRO if you want simpler (2stack only) but without loosing the SQ.

- 2nd is my desktop setup (laptop > QLS Hifi (USB to SPDIF converter) > Centrance DACmini > Burson Soloist amp, i use Vermouth Black Pearl MK2 for all the interconnects. The sound is also very nice with mspro. I use to love to pair this setup with my ATH3000anv and the T1, but i found the sound from mspro is more proper to listen to my taste. Burson amp is a nice amp. Very clean sounding, good quality of solid state amp for the price. And sometimes,  i also use dacmini only to drive my Grados. It sound very nice too.

- 3rd is ipod+CLASdb+Continental V3+MS2i - the CV3 is a tube amp but to me sounded like no tube. The clarity is very good. Mids is super clean. Bass also has a good impact (better than the V2) but the highs is tend to be on the bright side. Nothing like a bad sibilant or alike, but i do feel a bit bright in a good way. Pairing cv3 with CLASdb, the clarity is super clean, and for headphones like MS2i, the sound is very nice. The different between CLASdb vs Theorem line-out DAC vs HPP1 line-out DAC, CLASdb is the clearest. Detail is highest but also tend to be dryer in sound. So if i want a bit of a warmth to the amp...i use Theorem/HPP1 line-out DAC as a source to CV3.

-4th is grado PS500 with Theorem 720 amp. I think Theorem amp serves Grado-s very well. Theorem amp has a good body to the sound. robust sounding. I think between M8 and Theorem..Theorem is more fuller in sound, but M8 wins in term of clarity and better sstage. But both, M8 and Theorem can drive all my Grados very well. I really like the clarity of M8..pairing it with mspro is very nice. The sound is more open, more space, even though i feel like the Theorem is sweeter in performing the mids.

Between mspro/ps500/ms2i - mspro is the most neutral and also the most versatile when comes for pairing with the amps. It is almost sounded so good with any amp i use to drive it.

Nice to see some Alessandro love. Beautiful photography as well.
What were your main reasons for going with the ms-2 over the sr-325is and the ms-pro over rs-1? 

Thank you JW Santhem :)

One reason mainly is because 325is and RS1 is too attacking for my taste. Both Grado and alessandro are very good in clarity and the mids is the main reason i like em. The mids is so alive and real. But the difference to my ears, Grado is a bit dryer and attacking/aggresive - more treble energy (many songs i found it are a bit too harsh especially for vocal songs), alessandro is smoother and warmer and more relax but still pretty much accurate and i much prefer the tone color of alessandro. For vocal songs or for someone who loves mids like me, i much prefer alessandro for this reason. :) Many people say Grado has more impact at the lows, but after hearing both of them, i hardly found the Grado has better impact to the alessandro (is the same i guess)..maybe my hearing had been destructed by its brightness so i could not feel the bass from Grado. :)

Mar 27, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #13,205 of 65,692
Grado shared this today and I thought you guys would enjoy it:

http://techcrunch.com/2014/03/27/tc-makers-a-walk-through-the-amazing-townhouse-that-grado-labs-calls-home/

Mar 27, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #13,206 of 65,692
Is it weird that I kinda want a pair of Grados even though I don't particularly like their sound signature?

Mar 27, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #13,207 of 65,692
  Grado shared this today and I thought you guys would enjoy it:

http://techcrunch.com/2014/03/27/tc-makers-a-walk-through-the-amazing-townhouse-that-grado-labs-calls-home/

Thanks for sharing!

Mar 27, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #13,208 of 65,692
Not weird at all. You'll come around eventually... :p

Mar 27, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #13,209 of 65,692
Mar 27, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #13,210 of 65,692
Is it weird that I kinda want a pair of Grados even though I don't particularly like their sound signature?

Not at all.  But if you don't like the signature, give the GS1000's a try...

Mar 27, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #13,212 of 65,692
I'll see if there's anywhere near me to try 'em out, sure. The PS500/1000 were damn good, but not QUITE right. 

I'm thinking it's high time I sell my Q701s and get the PS500...

Mar 27, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #13,213 of 65,692

I'll see if there's anywhere near me to try 'em out, sure. The PS500/1000 were damn good, but not QUITE right.

If all you've tried are 500/1000, then you should think about 225/325/RS2 or RS1's!

Mar 27, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #13,214 of 65,692
  If all you've tried are 500/1000, then you should think about 225/325/RS2 or RS1's!

I tried the RS1's and was NOT a fan. Just treble cannons, no low end to speak of (to ME). The PS line was definitely a lot better, although it felt like there was a sharp bass dropoff under ~80Hz. 

Admittedly I'm coming from M100's so we're talking mid-recessed into mid-prominent, so that's a real shock to the ears. Curious to try the GS1000i though, reviews sound promising. 

Mar 27, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #13,215 of 65,692

I tried the RS1's and was NOT a fan. Just treble cannons, no low end to speak of (to ME). The PS line was definitely a lot better, although it felt like there was a sharp bass dropoff under ~80Hz. 

Admittedly I'm coming from M100's so we're talking mid-recessed into mid-prominent, so that's a real shock to the ears. Curious to try the GS1000i though, reviews sound promising. 

If you like your miss recessed, then you'll probably love the GS1Ki's!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back