Grado Fan Club!
Mar 27, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #13,216 of 65,687

I tried the RS1's and was NOT a fan. Just treble cannons, no low end to speak of (to ME). The PS line was definitely a lot better, although it felt like there was a sharp bass dropoff under ~80Hz. 

Admittedly I'm coming from M100's so we're talking mid-recessed into mid-prominent, so that's a real shock to the ears. Curious to try the GS1000i though, reviews sound promising. 

If you thought the RS1's were treble canons....I hate to say it....but Grado's more than likely are not going to be for you.

Maybe...the PS500......maybe

Mar 27, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #13,217 of 65,687

If you thought the RS1's were treble canons....I hate to say it....but Grado's more than likely are not going to be for you.

Maybe...the PS500......maybe

The PS500 was significantly more even to my ears. Just with a huge dropoff in the low bass. 

And honestly part of me wants to get to "understand" Grado because I just love how they're made and the craftsmanship. Even if they're not my go-to headphones I'd really like to have some and love them for what they are.

Mar 27, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #13,218 of 65,687
I tried the RS1's and was NOT a fan. Just treble cannons, no low end to speak of (to ME). The PS line was definitely a lot better, although it felt like there was a sharp bass dropoff under ~80Hz. 

Admittedly I'm coming from M100's so we're talking mid-recessed into mid-prominent, so that's a real shock to the ears. Curious to try the GS1000i though, reviews sound promising. 

The RS1 has very relaxed treble, relatively speaking. To me it is on the warmer side of Grados with more bass than many. Although I do suppose the PS 500 would be the darkest...

Mar 27, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #13,219 of 65,687

The PS500 was significantly more even to my ears. Just with a huge dropoff in the low bass. 

And honestly part of me wants to get to "understand" Grado because I just love how they're made and the craftsmanship. Even if they're not my go-to headphones I'd really like to have some and love them for what they are.

The thing is, and I think not too many people will disagree with me, that Grados are essentially a "rock n roll" headphone. They certainly also do well with jazz, but from what I gathered you listen mostly to EDM / electronic music and like a strong, overpowering, emphasized bass, the Grados probably won't ever do it for you.

Now if you like to headbang away to classic rock or you make frequent use of your air guitar to jam along Jimi Hendrix, grab a pair and enjoy!

Mar 27, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #13,220 of 65,687
Actually I'm LARGELY a metal/rock guy, but I like to be able to feel that bass drum hit me in the chest. I do listen to a lot of rap and some EDM as well (although my electronic is usually blended with other genres like 65daysofstatic). That's one reason I'm interested in these. They really do bring them guitars and vocals out. 

Plus, WOW they're pretty.

Mar 27, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #13,221 of 65,687
Actually I'm LARGELY a metal/rock guy, but I like to be able to feel that bass drum hit me in the chest. I do listen to a lot of rap and some EDM as well (although my electronic is usually blended with other genres like 65daysofstatic). That's one reason I'm interested in these. They really do bring them guitars and vocals out. 

Have you considered DT990s?

Also, yes. They are gorgeous.

Mar 27, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #13,222 of 65,687

Most rock and metal doesn't have a lot of sub 60Hz frequencies so I don't find Grados lacking bass compared to my D2000 when listening to rock/metal. Now when listening to hip hop I notice the reduced bass of the Grados a lot more since hip hop utilizes those lower frequencies a lot more.

Mar 27, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #13,223 of 65,687
Most rock and metal doesn't have a lot of sub 60Hz frequencies so I don't find Grados lacking bass compared to my D2000 when listening to rock/metal. Now when listening to hip hop I notice the reduced bass of the Grados a lot more since hip hop utilizes those lower frequencies a lot more.

That's a very good point. I should go do some auditioning again this weekend...

Mar 27, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #13,224 of 65,687

exactly why i feel grados + a good bassy set (i like planars) makes for the ultimate-don't-need-anything-else combo for all different types of music

grados are bass light but surprisingly punchy and the kicks are very solid, perfect rock/metal cans IMO

Mar 27, 2014 at 6:25 PM Post #13,225 of 65,687
exactly why i feel grados + a good bassy set (i like planars) makes for the ultimate-don't-need-anything-else combo for all different types of music

grados are bass light but surprisingly punchy and the kicks are very solid, perfect rock/metal cans IMO

Bass punch comes from the mid bass which Grados accentuate. This also helps compensate for the rolled off lower freqs.

Mar 27, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #13,226 of 65,687

If this is the case then why don't you just get a pair 80i's, you will get the classic Grado sound signature from these headphone, and you will definitely get too understand Grado with these…in a big way, and save yourself a lot of money.

Mar 27, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #13,227 of 65,687
  If this is the case then why don't you just get a pair 80i's, you will get the classic Grado sound signature from these headphone, and you will definitely get too understand Grado with these…in a big way, and save yourself a lot of money.

Man if I'm goin' Grado I want something with that amazing hand-made look! Dem wooden cups! Even if they just sit on a shelf, they're MARVELS.

Mar 27, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #13,228 of 65,687
The SR80 probably won't have the kind of bass he is after, but most Grado's don't have deep sub bass or lower bass in high amounts. The PS500 and Bushmills were the darkest 2 Grado's overall I believe.

Mar 27, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #13,229 of 65,687

Man if I'm goin' Grado I want something with that amazing hand-made look! Dem wooden cups! Even if they just sit on a shelf, they're MARVELS.

Oh, I know you thought they are amazing looking, but I didn't realize you wanted the wooden cups…in that case why not go with entry wooden model the RS2i's, ($495.00U.S.) to keep the cost down for yourself while you get acquainted with them, and especially if they aren't going to be your go too headphone... their nice looking! 

Mar 27, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #13,230 of 65,687
  The SR80 probably won't have the kind of bass he is after, but most Grado's don't have deep sub bass or lower bass in high amounts. The PS500 and Bushmills were the darkest 2 Grado's overall I believe.

Didn't realize he was looking for wooden cups, I thought he just wanted too understand the sound signature of the Grados, and familiarize himself with them for awhile, regardless of the bass quantity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back