Grado Fan Club!
Mar 26, 2014 at 9:01 AM Post #13,171 of 65,687
I like your idea of using a switch, especially with the Vali.  While comparing the two amps I needed to wait after plugging in a headphone for the Vali to stop ringing before I could continue listening.  I'll have to give this a try, could you tell me what switch you used?

Mar 26, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #13,172 of 65,687
  I like your idea of using a switch, especially with the Vali.  While comparing the two amps I needed to wait after plugging in a headphone for the Vali to stop ringing before I could continue listening.  I'll have to give this a try, could you tell me what switch you used?

The Fiio HS-2. I was sure I heard a difference until I switched quickly. Some people won't agree with this process, but so be it. The Vali and Asgard2 may sound different from each other with different headphones, but I can say they sounded the same to me with the PS500.

Mar 26, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #13,173 of 65,687
  TheDreamthinker,

To my ears the Asgard2 works well with both the SR325is, HD800 and even down to my more sensitive IEM the Westone 4R.  The Asgard has been a great all around amp and I only recently purchased the Schiit Vali to experiment with the tube sound which has brought some added warmth to my headphones. Personally the PS500 sounds the best with the Asgard because it doesn't need any additional warmth but I believe the SR325is and the HD800 would sound better with a nice tube amp such as the WA6.

Thanks for the info...

I am thinking of getting a new amp for my SR325is (and probably a future CK100pro).

Both probably could use some additional warmth, so I am comparing  the LittleDots, Schiits and some random sales forum browsing (kind of preferring the Schiit at the moment for the easier warranty). 
WA6 is something which I will consider with future hp-upgrades.

Mar 26, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #13,174 of 65,687
Yes, hello, I'd like to join your club please 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 26, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #13,175 of 65,687
Question: given the amount of mods people seem to do here, has anyone tried basically taking raw drivers and simply building a pair of headphones around them? I mean, some of you guys are doing INSANE custom work to the point that they don't even seem to be the original product aside from the speaker itself. 

Mar 26, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #13,176 of 65,687
  Question: given the amount of mods people seem to do here, has anyone tried basically taking raw drivers and simply building a pair of headphones around them? I mean, some of you guys are doing INSANE custom work to the point that they don't even seem to be the original product aside from the speaker itself. 

If you type in "Grado mods" in the search window, you'll see several sites here that do quite a bit of serious and not so serious modding.

Mar 26, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #13,177 of 65,687

You need to head over to the non grado driver thread my friend

Mar 26, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #13,178 of 65,687
You need to head over to the non grado driver thread my friend

I meant like, taking RS1i or 325 drivers and building a set from scratch. I'm just amazed at the skill and craftsmanship going on into these I'm wondering if anyone on here would end up doing like MrSpeakers did and start making whole new products. 

Mar 26, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #13,179 of 65,687

Thanks for the info...

I am thinking of getting a new amp for my SR325is (and probably a future CK100pro).

Both probably could use some additional warmth, so I am comparing  the LittleDots, Schiits and some random sales forum browsing (kind of preferring the Schiit at the moment for the easier warranty). 
WA6 is something which I will consider with future hp-upgrades.

I own the 325is, and own the Magni/Modi… and used to own the LD1+. If you are looking for more warmth I would go with the LD1+ because it is warmer than the M/M combo, and you can roll the tubes to your preference and change the op-amp. The reason I kept the M/M and sold the LD1+ was because I felt my 325's where a bit too warm for me, so the M/M balanced the sound being it was brighter for me.

smily_headphones1.gif

You just did! Welcome, nice mods on the Grados!
What model are they?

Mar 26, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #13,180 of 65,687

I meant like, taking RS1i or 325 drivers and building a set from scratch. I'm just amazed at the skill and craftsmanship going on into these I'm wondering if anyone on here would end up doing like MrSpeakers did and start making whole new products. 

You've got to see what the Germanguy did (I believe thats his user name)…he made an awesome looking headphone from scratch…I mean awesome!!!

Mar 26, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #13,182 of 65,687
  In order to REALLY join the club, we need some serious details about those cans....

Allow me to guess!

SR80i in either walnut or lapacho cups, auvio headband, Ear Zonk L cush, stock cable. 

Mar 26, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #13,183 of 65,687

Working on it :). I am aiming to make a more comfortable Grado...just started experimenting with designs.

Mar 26, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #13,184 of 65,687
smily_headphones1.gif

Great stuff...

where did you get those gimbals/headband....those stock gimbals are killing me (and my cables)
What wood?
  I own the 325is, and own the Magni/Modi… and used to own the LD1+. If you are looking for more warmth I would go with the LD1+ because it is warmer than the M/M combo, and you can roll the tubes to your preference and change the op-amp. The reason I kept the M/M and sold the LD1+ was because I felt my 325's where a bit too warm for me, so the M/M balanced the sound being it was brighter for me.

What i'm looking for a sound which is slightly less warm than the RS1i. The SR325is aggressiveness with a bit more warmth.

I will try to get my hands on a used LittleDot I+...:wink:
Options are always appreciated...
biggrin.gif

Mar 26, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #13,185 of 65,687
You just did! Welcome, nice mods on the Grados!
What model are they?

Thanks! I just got them in a trade from JoeDoe, they're SR225i drivers in lapacho wood cups with an Auvio headband and the stock cable.

In order to REALLY join the club, we need some serious details about those cans....

See the above!

Great stuff...

where did you get those gimbals/headband....those stock gimbals are killing me (and my cables)
What wood?

What i'm looking for a sound which is slightly less warm than the RS1i. The SR325is aggressiveness with a bit more warmth.

I will try to get my hands on a used LittleDot I+...:wink:
Options are always appreciated...
biggrin.gif

Again, see above. I didn't make them myself so I don't know all the details on the gimbals and other stuff.

Allow me to guess!

SR80i in either walnut or lapacho cups, auvio headband, Ear Zonk L cush, stock cable. 

Oh come on man, you gave them to me, you should know what they are!
tongue.gif
 SR225i drivers, lapacho cups.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back