Grado Fan Club!
Jan 29, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #11,746 of 65,639
It seems to me like the PS is the anti-Grado, at least the PS500 is. It's pretty much the polar opposite to the RS1i through the treble.
Just sayin'
rolleyes.gif

Jan 29, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #11,747 of 65,639
  It seems to me like the PS is the anti-Grado, at least the PS500 is. It's pretty much the polar opposite to the RS1i through the treble.
Just sayin'
rolleyes.gif

it is not your typical grado, the gs1000i too
the g-cushes help tame the mid bass on the 500 if it is too much for you

Jan 29, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #11,748 of 65,639

Too much mid-bass!

Great.  Now you got me curious...

In the meantime, I am still in awe of how the Burson drives the 225i's.  I can't get over it, especially since I never expected the 225i's to 'scale' with better amplification.  I could easily live with this combination for a long, long time.

Jan 29, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #11,749 of 65,639

Too much mid-bass!

In the meantime, I am still in awe of how the Burson drives the 225i's.  I can't get over it, especially since I never expected the 225i's to 'scale' with better amplification.  I could easily live with this combination for a long, long time.

first time i put on the ps500, i thought "this aint no grado !" but it is

Jan 29, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #11,750 of 65,639
Another improbable combination which works really well:

Audio-gd SA31 SE + SR225i

This adds significantly to dynamic headroom and adds back some missing "body". It's very good at low listening levels, and (almost) makes the SR225i suitable for large-scale orchestral music!

Think of this as dropping in a V8....

Too much mid-bass!

Jan 29, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #11,751 of 65,639
That's probably why I like it - not your typical Grado - Actually, like the mid-bass - just have to EQ the treble up so it lies somewhere between the native PS500 and the RS1i - nailed it! 

Quote:

Jan 29, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #11,752 of 65,639
Now I have a problem the Burson and the Woo were my two end game amps and apparently both are worthy of that status with the Grado's. So I still have a decision to make. As for the dac I finally decided I am going to play it safe and just get a Bifrost Uber, might not be the best dac out there but it is far from the worst.
 Quick question, I am pretty sure that someone on this forum had a LD1+ and an Asgard 2 at the same time, how did your Grados sound on those two amps and which would you say drove them the best overall? Reason is I found both for sale really cheap, looking to get one or the other for my bedroom system. My Headroom amp is still okay but it is so old I am getting nervous :)

Jan 29, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #11,753 of 65,639
Another improbable combination which works really well:

Audio-gd SA31 SE + SR225i

This adds significantly to dynamic headroom and adds back some missing "body". It's very good at low listening levels, and (almost) makes the SR225i suitable for large-scale orchestral music!

Think of this as dropping in a V8....

Funny you should point that out.  I listened to Brahm's Symphony #2 with the 225i's, and you're right.  They are almost suitable.  Really good, but not quite at ortho level.

Another surprising combo for me is the iGrado with the Fiio E10.  Way more meat than I would every expect!

Jan 29, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #11,755 of 65,639
  Now I have a problem the Burson and the Woo were my two end game amps and apparently both are worthy of that status with the Grado's. So I still have a decision to make. As for the dac I finally decided I am going to play it safe and just get a Bifrost Uber, might not be the best dac out there but it is far from the worst.
 Quick question, I am pretty sure that someone on this forum had a LD1+ and an Asgard 2 at the same time, how did your Grados sound on those two amps and which would you say drove them the best overall? Reason is I found both for sale really cheap, looking to get one or the other for my bedroom system. My Headroom amp is still okay but it is so old I am getting nervous :)

had both at the same time, both good, but i'd take the LD for grado's, but the A2 you got some flexibility, sound LD, features A2, thats my take

Jan 29, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #11,756 of 65,639

+1 on the Burson as end game.  I'm also interested in a dac.  The analog our of the Oppo is very, very clear and revealing, but can be really harsh on some recordings.  The Bifrost Uber is on my list, but so is the upcoming Yggdrasil, which would definitely be end-game (I hope).  The only reason I'm interested in that dac is because I think my next venture will be into Stax territory, most likely the SR-007

Jan 29, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #11,757 of 65,639

+1 on the Burson as end game.  I'm also interested in a dac.  The analog our of the Oppo is very, very clear and revealing, but can be really harsh on some recordings.  The Bifrost Uber is on my list, but so is the upcoming Yggdrasil, which would definitely be end-game (I hope).  The only reason I'm interested in that dac is because I think my next venture will be into Stax territory, most likely the SR-007

i might have something you might be interested in

Jan 29, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #11,758 of 65,639
So here are my first impressions on the GS1Ki's…the right driver is D.O.A.!!! So they will be going back to Crutchfield tomorrow. One good thing is that I had the opportunity to put the (G) cushions on the RS1i's, and they sounded pretty good. I thought they would lose a lot of the overall bass, but they didn't, but they did lose a lot of the bass punch/slam and the bass wasn't as tight/controlled, the mid-range was set back a bit more and much mellower and the highs tamed down but not by very much though. I felt it was also harder for me to hear the detail/clarity, and the soundstage was a bit wider, but to me it was harder to hear some of the instruments due to the more recessed sound of the mid-range, they seemed too distant... but all in all they did sound nice in a different way, but I still prefer the (L) cushions for their immediacy that they bring. They bring much more liveliness to the music for me. From what I've read it sounds like the RS1i's with the (G) cushions sound very similar to what others describe between the RS/GS, so I'm thinking I'm not even going to ask for another pair of GS's and save myself $995.00, and purchase the (G) cushions instead, and swap them out depending if I want an aggressive/mellower sound. Jay, I know you own both of these headphones, if/when you get a  chance can you listen to the GS's with the (L) cushions and give me your opinion on wether or not they sound like the RS's? I know you've already listened to the RS's with the (G) cushions and said you did like them, (IYO where the RS's with the (G) cushions very close to the sound of the GS's? Also would you say the RS/GS sound very similar with the cushions swapped out between the two? Thanks.

Jan 30, 2014 at 1:21 AM Post #11,759 of 65,639
That sucks Joseph. I just hope that you'll like the GS1000i as much as I do. They're great headphones. They have a lot going for them. When I bought my PS1000, I thought about selling my GS, but I just can't bring myself to do it. They're so light and comfortable, especially compared to my big boned HP/PS1000.

I hope things work out for the best, keep us posted.

Jan 30, 2014 at 6:19 AM Post #11,760 of 65,639
Very sorry to hear that thr right driver was DOA, joseph......man, you really have some bad luck.

I too would be interested to know how the GS1000i sounds with the L-cushions.....I would more than likely like the smaller soundstage.....which I assume it would have with the g-cush.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back