Grado Fan Club!
Jan 28, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #11,716 of 65,638
Thanks guys, yeah they are in great shape. My first wood buttons. I've owned the RS1i's before and they are very similar sounding as you would expect I suppose. But I do think that the older button models are tuned more for the flat pads. I have to EQ to add bass and tone down the treble with the L cush pads. But the soundstage is deeper and the sound is more airy with the L's and this I like. 

Jan 28, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #11,717 of 65,638
Currently driving them with a Sansui AU-505 (1973) with very good results. With the flat pads I don't need to use the tones controls as the balance is perfect. But as mentioned above a few tweaks with these pads and the sound is amazing.

Jan 28, 2014 at 4:33 PM Post #11,718 of 65,638
Thanks guys, yeah they are in great shape. My first wood buttons. I've owned the RS1i's before and they are very similar sounding as you would expect I suppose. But I do think that the older button models are tuned more for the flat pads. I have to EQ to add bass and tone down the treble with the L cush pads. But the soundstage is deeper and the sound is more airy with the L's and this I like. 

Congrats on those RS-2's! You don't see them around much...

I modded mine to have more bass (by punching some of the holes on the back of the drivers)
And put G-cush on them (the L-cush don't play nice with my ears)
This made the treble less and bass a bit "heavier" so to me it's now in a better balance.

Jan 28, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #11,719 of 65,638
Thanks for that diddy, Jay
smile.gif

The wood on those RS2 classics is just beautiful....congrats

Jan 28, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #11,720 of 65,638
  Thanks for that diddy, Jay
smile.gif

The wood on those RS2 classics is just beautiful....congrats

your welcome
i'd heard of gary clark jr, but never listened, i was impressed to say the least !

Jan 28, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #11,721 of 65,638
I saw him on guitar sessions a couple of weeks ago....good stuff.

Jan 28, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #11,722 of 65,638
Does any consider the SR80 a large improvement over the SR60?
I've always contemplated upgrading but don't know if it would be worth it.  Too bad I didn't know much about headphones before purchasing the 60 after hearing such great reviews.

Jan 28, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #11,723 of 65,638
  Does any consider the SR80 a large improvement over the SR60?
I've always contemplated upgrading but don't know if it would be worth it.  Too bad I didn't know much about headphones before purchasing the 60 after hearing such great reviews.

Probably not, I own the 80i's, but I've never heard the 60i's, but some say that maybe the 80i's have a bit more bass, and they don't have a heavy bass presence. Most say they pretty much sound the same, hope this helps.

Jan 28, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #11,724 of 65,638
Posted pic of my new PS500 and Naim DAC in the 'Show us your Head-Fi station' thread. They have about 120+ hours on them now and the bass is tightening up and the midrange and treble are smoothing out.  
post #16821
They are really a dark headphone but with a little treble EQ, I'm really liking them. Here's a link to the graph of the PS500 vs RS1 vs HD650. Quite interesting.
post #16824

Jan 28, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #11,725 of 65,638
I currently own a pair of Sennheiser HD650's which I adore for pretty much every genre of music. However, I have to admit a lot of times when I put on some rock or blues I find it a little boring, I would like to put on a rock album and really get into the music which I find a little hard with the 650's so I decided to finally take the plunge on some Grado's. Before I purchased the 650's I had the 325is's in my sights but at the last minute decided to go with the Senns as they seemed more versatile and probably a better place to start. This time I started looking at the RS series and to make a long story short decided to save the $200 and ordered the RS2i's a few days ago. The cans aren't even in my hands yet (should arrive in a day or two) and I'm already starting to second guess myself and think maybe I should have bit the bullet and gone with the RS1i's. Seems like most prefer the 1i's but there are some that like the 2i's better, I have also heard from one or two people that rock is better on the 2i's but that's a matter of preference I'm sure, these headphones will be used for rock, blues, punk and alternative only. I also have a Burson HA-160DS and am anxious to hear what that pairing sounds like. I guess my question is do you think I made a mistake as I can afford the 1i's? It just seems like there are so many different opinions going around with these two models it gets a little confusing. I guess when my 2i's arrive I'll listen to them and go from there and then decide if I want to return them and get the 1i's or not. 

Jan 28, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #11,726 of 65,638
  I currently own a pair of Sennheiser HD650's which I adore for pretty much every genre of music. However, I have to admit a lot of times when I put on some rock or blues I find it a little boring, I would like to put on a rock album and really get into the music which I find a little hard with the 650's so I decided to finally take the plunge on some Grado's. Before I purchased the 650's I had the 325is's in my sights but at the last minute decided to go with the Senns as they seemed more versatile and probably a better place to start. This time I started looking at the RS series and to make a long story short decided to save the $200 and ordered the RS2i's a few days ago. The cans aren't even in my hands yet (should arrive in a day or two) and I'm already starting to second guess myself and think maybe I should have bit the bullet and gone with the RS1i's. Seems like most prefer the 1i's but there are some that like the 2i's better, I have also heard from one or two people that rock is better on the 2i's but that's a matter of preference I'm sure, these headphones will be used for rock, blues, punk and alternative only. I also have a Burson HA-160DS and am anxious to hear what that pairing sounds like. I guess my question is do you think I made a mistake as I can afford the 1i's? It just seems like there are so many different opinions going around with these two models it gets a little confusing. I guess when my 2i's arrive I'll listen to them and go from there and then decide if I want to return them and get the 1i's or not. 

you answered your own question, listen, and decide then, you could ask 10-15 folks here , "what your favorite grado??" you'd get a lot of different answers, and half the fun , for me anyway, is the hunt, i haven't heard the 2, i have the 1, and i'm listening to it right now
it sounds sublime ! , tomorrow i may be listening to the gs1000i, and i most likely say the same thing, so, just enjoy the ride

Jan 29, 2014 at 12:05 AM Post #11,727 of 65,638
Wow Olympus mons, I'm surprised you were hesitating between Senns HD650 and the Grado SR325is, these two VERY different animals, we're talking sleeping pills vs energy drinks here.. And don't sweat your choice of the RS2i over the RS1i, they're fine sounding headphones, and will wake you up from the deep slumber that your HD650 have got you into. And if if you ever end up getting the RS1i somewhwere down the road, you'll just appreciate them even more.

Personnally, I would've chosen the Bushmills over the RS2i, but I think the production has stopped on them, so that point is more than likely moot. And I've been known for having weird tastes anyways, so take this with the biggest grain of salt you can find. 

Jan 29, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #11,728 of 65,638
Yeah, originally I was just wanting to listen to rock/blues that's why I was thinking about getting the 325is' way back when. Then I figured what the hey, I'll just start off with a Swiss Army knife set of cans and went with the 650's when I had the opportunity to snag a pair at a pretty reasonable price, glad I did. I do think rock can sound better though so I'm back looking at Grado's, albeit higher end ones. Anyways, I'll probably test them out for a bit and see how I like them and if they don't speak to me I'll exchange them for some RS1i's since I'm pretty much done with getting feedback from others about them. Seems like you could let 100 people listen to them and you'd probably get 100 different impressions, guess it's time to trust my own ears.

Jan 29, 2014 at 6:21 AM Post #11,729 of 65,638
stacker45....you nailed it.....Grado's are the energy drink for rock cans.....fast ....no nonsense cans for fast no nonsense music....the PRaT is superb!

Jan 29, 2014 at 7:59 AM Post #11,730 of 65,638
  Yeah, originally I was just wanting to listen to rock/blues that's why I was thinking about getting the 325is' way back when. Then I figured what the hey, I'll just start off with a Swiss Army knife set of cans and went with the 650's when I had the opportunity to snag a pair at a pretty reasonable price, glad I did. I do think rock can sound better though so I'm back looking at Grado's, albeit higher end ones. Anyways, I'll probably test them out for a bit and see how I like them and if they don't speak to me I'll exchange them for some RS1i's since I'm pretty much done with getting feedback from others about them. Seems like you could let 100 people listen to them and you'd probably get 100 different impressions, guess it's time to trust my own ears.

yep, your ears are the best judge , and like i said , have fun !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back