Grado Fan Club!
Jan 30, 2014 at 7:46 AM Post #11,761 of 65,642
  That sucks Joseph. I just hope that you'll like the GS1000i as much as I do. They're great headphones. They have a lot going for them. When I bought my PS1000, I thought about selling my GS, but I just can't bring myself to do it. They're so light and comfortable, especially compared to my big boned HP/PS1000.

I hope things work out for the best, keep us posted.

Yeah, like I said, I'm thinking the RS's sound very similar to the GS's, because the RS's did sound good last night with the (G) cushions, so I'm going to wait for Jay to reply if the GS's with the (L) cushions sound like the RS's, vice versa. I'm really thinking they do, and if thesis the case I'll just buy some (G) cushions for the RS's.
  Very sorry to hear that thr right driver was DOA, joseph......man, you really have some bad luck.

I too would be interested to know how the GS1000i sounds with the L-cushions.....I would more than likely like the smaller soundstage.....which I assume it would have with the g-cush.

Thanks, I know I'm really having some bad luck lately with some purchases LOL! But what am I going to do? The best part is that I got the last pair of GS's Crutchfield had in stock, so even if I wanted to try them, I would have to go somewhere else, or wait for them to restock. I'll see what they say today.

Jan 30, 2014 at 8:11 AM Post #11,762 of 65,642
  So here are my first impressions on the GS1Ki's…the right driver is D.O.A.!!! So they will be going back to Crutchfield tomorrow. One good thing is that I had the opportunity to put the (G) cushions on the RS1i's, and they sounded pretty good. I thought they would lose a lot of the overall bass, but they didn't, but they did lose a lot of the bass punch/slam and the bass wasn't as tight/controlled, the mid-range was set back a bit more and much mellower and the highs tamed down but not by very much though. I felt it was also harder for me to hear the detail/clarity, and the soundstage was a bit wider, but to me it was harder to hear some of the instruments due to the more recessed sound of the mid-range, they seemed too distant... but all in all they did sound nice in a different way, but I still prefer the (L) cushions for their immediacy that they bring. They bring much more liveliness to the music for me. From what I've read it sounds like the RS1i's with the (G) cushions sound very similar to what others describe between the RS/GS, so I'm thinking I'm not even going to ask for another pair of GS's and save myself $995.00, and purchase the (G) cushions instead, and swap them out depending if I want an aggressive/mellower sound. Jay, I know you own both of these headphones, if/when you get a  chance can you listen to the GS's with the (L) cushions and give me your opinion on wether or not they sound like the RS's? I know you've already listened to the RS's with the (G) cushions and said you did like them, (IYO where the RS's with the (G) cushions very close to the sound of the GS's? Also would you say the RS/GS sound very similar with the cushions swapped out between the two? Thanks.

sorry to hear, you do seem a bit "snakebit" lately buddy !!
as for changing the pads on the gs, i haven't done so yet, i've thought about it briefly, i'll give it a go today, they just sound so good , perfect with the g's
i really think the 2 the rs1i and gs1000i are such a great combo, like the rs1i and the 500, just better,
i'll say this about the gs1000i the "if" situation
if i could only have one headphone(and not just grado), but it didn't have to be cheap,  the gs would be it, easily
its light, comfortable, and to me, has to real weakness, there are things that i feel could be better with the rs1i, sometimes i like a little more bass, the lcd2, sometimes its a little too warm, but the gs1000i, is pretty damn close to just right !
now we'll get to see if i'll still feel this way when the LCD X gets here ! made a deal last night

Jan 30, 2014 at 8:24 AM Post #11,763 of 65,642
  Yeah, like I said, I'm thinking the RS's sound very similar to the GS's, because the RS's did sound good last night with the (G) cushions, so I'm going to wait for Jay to reply if the GS's with the (L) cushions sound like the RS's, vice versa. I'm really thinking they do, and if thesis the case I'll just buy some (G) cushions for the RS's.
Thanks, I know I'm really having some bad luck lately with some purchases LOL! But what am I going to do? The best part is that I got the last pair of GS's Crutchfield had in stock, so even if I wanted to try them, I would have to go somewhere else, or wait for them to restock. I'll see what they say today.

joseph, i really would encourage you to let crutchfield send you another pair, and listen for yourself, i'm going try the L's on the gs,
and to me, anyone who love's, has grado's, especially more than one model, should have the flats, the L, and the G pads all on hand
its easily the best, easiest , most cost effective mod there is, throw in some tape , and you never have to open up or solder or poke holes
and potentially kill a headphone !

Jan 30, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #11,764 of 65,642

joseph, i really would encourage you to let crutchfield send you another pair, and listen for yourself, i'm going try the L's on the gs,
and to me, anyone who love's, has grado's, especially more than one model, should have the flats, the L, and the G pads all on hand
its easily the best, easiest , most cost effective mod there is, throw in some tape , and you never have to open up or solder or poke holes
and potentially kill a headphone !

I have S, S quarter modded L, and TTVJ flats, the only ones I don't have are the G's, I used to have them but hated them on my 325's so I got rid of them. I purchased the last pair of GS's from Crutchfields stock because I did ask them to send another pair if they had them, but when I ordered them their site said low stock and the guy told me I got the last pair, and they don't know when they are going to get them in, so in the meantime I got a refund and I'll call them in a week or so and see if they have more in stock, because I would really like to compare them to the RS's, and see if its just a matter of the G's between the two. In the meantime I'm going to order some G's to do some more listening with the RS's, thanks Jay.

Jan 30, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #11,765 of 65,642
  I have S, S quarter modded L, and TTVJ flats, the only ones I don't have are the G's, I used to have them but hated them on my 325's so I got rid of them. I purchased the last pair of GS's from Crutchfields stock because I did ask them to send another pair if they had them, but when I ordered them their site said low stock and the guy told me I got the last pair, and they don't know when they are going to get them in, so in the meantime I got a refund and I'll call them in a week or so and see if they have more in stock, because I would really like to compare them to the RS's, and see if its just a matter of the G's between the two. In the meantime I'm going to order some G's to do some more listening with the RS's, thanks Jay.

i like the flats on the rs1i more than the g's

Jan 30, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #11,767 of 65,642
  I like the flats the best on the 80i's, but still prefer the (L's) over all of them, on all of my Grados.

interesting because i prefer (by a small margin) the flats on my 80's (i find it adds to the in-your-face sound of the 80's), and don't like the flats at all on the RS1 (muddies the bass and congests the sound too much).  i'm still waiting for my G's and spare flats to arrive...

Jan 30, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #11,768 of 65,642
  I like the flats the best on the 80i's, but still prefer the (L's) over all of them, on all of my Grados.

Couldn't agree more. If I had to live with one for the rest of my days, it'd definitely be the L.

Jan 30, 2014 at 4:10 PM Post #11,769 of 65,642

interesting because i prefer (by a small margin) the flats on my 80's (i find it adds to the in-your-face sound of the 80's), and don't like the flats at all on the RS1 (muddies the bass and congests the sound too much).  i'm still waiting for my G's and spare flats to arrive...

Couldn't agree more. If I had to live with one for the rest of my days, it'd definitely be the L.

I like the flats on the 80i's sometimes because they add more bass for some recordings.

Jan 30, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #11,770 of 65,642
L's on the gs1000i, first impressions
some tracks, too much bass BUT the midrange is there, highs sweet, detailed, the soundstage collapses of course, more "typical" grado
overall sound is more typical grado, but still sounds "bigger" yet another combination !

Jan 30, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #11,771 of 65,642
some tracks, too much bass BUT the midrange is there, highs sweet, detailed, the soundstage collapses of course, more "typical" grado
overall sound is more typical grado, but still sounds "bigger" yet another combination !

So would you say the GS's sound just like the RS's with the (L's), and vise versa?
Asking because I'm trying to find out if they are pretty much the same headphones/drivers with different cushions. If so I'll just buy the (G's) cushions for the RS's and forget about the GS1Ki's. 

Jan 30, 2014 at 4:33 PM Post #11,772 of 65,642

This is pretty much as I expected then.....very interesting, indeed.

Jan 30, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #11,774 of 65,642
   What exactly do you mean by this?

Well.....I figured the L-Cush would add bass.....whenever I put the G-cush on it seems to lose alittle bass.

It also gets a wider soundstage when I use a G-cushion.

So, what jay is saying makes perfect sense to me..

I have tried the G-cush on 4 different Grados....soundstage was bigger....always

Bass was less.....always

I am sure that the drivers make up for more than the pads.....but for the most part.....I feel like I know what to expect from each Grado pad.....just from experimenting.

Jan 30, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #11,775 of 65,642

Well.....I figured the L-Cush would add bass.....whenever I put the G-cush on it seems to lose alittle bass.

It also gets a wider soundstage when I use a G-cushion.

So, what jay is saying makes perfect sense to me..

I have tried the G-cush on 4 different Grados....soundstage was bigger....always

Bass was less.....always

I am sure that the drivers make up for more than the pads.....but for the most part.....I feel like I know what to expect from each Grado pad.....just from experimenting.

I agree with what you are saying with the 325's, but when I put the (G's) on the RS's, I thought they had a nice all around bass presence, but it didn't have that tight/slam to it.
And he driver part between the RS/GS is what I'm trying to find out from Jay, being he has both models/pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back