Grado Fan Club!
Dec 4, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #10,726 of 65,674
Fuddy duddy

lol, i was thinking "party pooper" lol

with all the madness around, folks hitting the buy button(especially me) we could use a voice of reason couldn't we ??    
blink.gif
(i've been using this smiley a lot lately)

Dec 4, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #10,727 of 65,674
  I guess the bit I'm puzzled about (semi-closed / vented Grados) is "what is the point"?

Let's face it - the main reason for using closed headphones is for isolation - it's pretty much the only reason.  These are on-ear - not over-ear.  On-ear isolating headphones need reasonable clamp.  These are Grados!  I don't know about you guys - but every Grado I've owned - including the RS1's I have now - I always bend the headband slightly to relax the fit (otherwise .... torture!)

So thinking out loud .....
  1. Closed Grado that's on ear - so you need to loosen fit
  2. Vented anyway
  3. Likely to be very little isolation (for you), and although leakage may be attenuated, it won't be nil
  4. Priced at $400?

My question again - why would you bother?

I was also naturally interested when I first saw the news - then when I thought about it - reality kind of hit home.

I'll stick to my RS1s.

usually I disagree with naysayers on the Grado thread, but I have to agree with this.  For me at least, these have zero appeal.

But for everyone else, I can't wait to read the impressions!  Personally, if I were to buy these, I'd wait for Jay to get them and then snag them in two weeks at a discount.
biggrin.gif

(I so hope you're not offended)

Dec 4, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #10,728 of 65,674
Don't get me wrong lads - I'm a fan of the Grado house sound.

Just seems to me that this is like buying a comb for a bald guy.  Yes - it could be a limited edition comb from a master craftsman, that will hold it's value (no doubt).  But in the end - it won't work the way combs are supposed to - and no matter how you use it - it's going to end up becoming uncomfortable on your head.

BTW - yes, I am bald (by choice) 
wink.gif

And I may be a fuddy-duddy or party-pooper, but I wonder how popular these really will be after the instant hype dies down.  I remain unconvinced ......

Dec 4, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #10,729 of 65,674

usually I disagree with naysayers on the Grado thread, but I have to agree with this.  For me at least, these have zero appeal.

But for everyone else, I can't wait to read the impressions!  Personally, if I were to buy these, I'd wait for Jay to get them and then snag them in two weeks at a discount.
biggrin.gif

(I so hope you're not offended)

noooooooooo not at all
and actually, i looked, and went " huh, pretty cool" but that was about it
i got some lcd's that as of right now, are up on the sale thread , lol, i really should have at least waited until the wadia got here ,
the lcd will sell, the wadia will suck, and i'll be going "why the hell did i do all that"   the term "addictive behavior" comes to mind  
L3000.gif

Dec 4, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #10,733 of 65,674
I could never get comfortable with my 325 with S-Pads, L-Pads, G-Pads, bending/unbending of head band, etc. The best solution for me was S-Pads pressing against Shure 940 velour pads against ears. Will glue them together one day.

Dec 4, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #10,734 of 65,674

i did my small "just curious" purchase and its on the way, the vali.
and while i'm confessing, i was real bad, i also made an "i always wanted a              "  purchase too , it should be here friday.
its from a brand i heard years ago in my HI FI DAYS  A WADIA 121  it was ttvj's deal of the day.

I just looked at that and curse you..now I want one sooooo bad! That is one fantastic dac/amp. Wow!! (Whats the penalty for robbing a bank?)

Dec 4, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #10,736 of 65,674

I just looked at that and curse you..now I want one sooooo bad! That is one fantastic dac/amp. Wow!! (Whats the penalty for robbing a bank?)

gotta get caught first !!

Dec 4, 2013 at 11:07 PM Post #10,737 of 65,674

Just think of all the 'quality' headphone time you could get in prison...as long as you share with bubba, that is.

Dec 4, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #10,738 of 65,674
Comfort isn't a concern for me because I find my 325's to be very comfortable. To the point sometimes I'll stand up and walk away from my computer almost ripping them off my head because I forgot they were there. I don't see why these will be any different. I'm pretty sure, I could be wrong, that Grado isn't going to put out a higher-end headphone (compared to 325's and below) that don't sound very good if not fantastic. Not at a $400 price point. Not to mention being a limited edition commissioned by another pretty reputable company, I'm sure Grado made sure these things were right. Guess we'll find out very soon.

Dec 4, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #10,739 of 65,674

Users who are viewing this thread

Back