Grado Fan Club!
Dec 4, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #10,711 of 65,674
I'm guessing that it means that air will still move out via the ear pads. 

Can't tell by looking at the pics but it clearly says "vented back". So it has to be from the back side of the driver. Maybe some hidden holes or slots. BeyerDynamic does something similar with two almost identical cans -- DT880 has very tiny holes and are called "semi-open" while DT990 has big slots and are called "open back".

Dec 4, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #10,712 of 65,674
I really hope the cups smell like booze... I'd love them even most!

Dec 4, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #10,713 of 65,674
Wow - just when I thought I wasn't going to buy more Grados they pull me back in! 
wink.gif

Dec 4, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #10,715 of 65,674
Dec 4, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #10,717 of 65,674
Pioneer did something similar years back with speakers made from 100 year old Suntory whiskey casks: http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/campaign/products/pureMalt.html

Dec 4, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #10,718 of 65,674
  Pioneer did something similar years back with speakers made from 100 year old Suntory whiskey casks: http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/campaign/products/pureMalt.html

For relaxing times... make it Pioneer time...

How did they sound? I am curious about where in the line these should really slot in, if such a comparison can really be made.

Dec 4, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #10,719 of 65,674

i remember those, were supposed to be decent little speakers too

Dec 4, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #10,720 of 65,674

For relaxing times... make it Pioneer time...

How did they sound? I am curious about where in the line these should really slot in, if such a comparison can really be made.

They were beautiful looking/feeling and sounded good, but not great, for their size (4" mid/woof) and price ($600).
Made in China because lots of labour to straighten the wood from the casks. Perfect for office but not for main system...

Dec 4, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #10,721 of 65,674
I guess the bit I'm puzzled about (semi-closed / vented Grados) is "what is the point"?

Let's face it - the main reason for using closed headphones is for isolation - it's pretty much the only reason.  These are on-ear - not over-ear.  On-ear isolating headphones need reasonable clamp.  These are Grados!  I don't know about you guys - but every Grado I've owned - including the RS1's I have now - I always bend the headband slightly to relax the fit (otherwise .... torture!)

So thinking out loud .....
  1. Closed Grado that's on ear - so you need to loosen fit
  2. Vented anyway
  3. Likely to be very little isolation (for you), and although leakage may be attenuated, it won't be nil
  4. Priced at $400?

My question again - why would you bother?

I was also naturally interested when I first saw the news - then when I thought about it - reality kind of hit home.

I'll stick to my RS1s.

Dec 4, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #10,722 of 65,674
Mine's on the way. Woooooo!

Dec 4, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #10,723 of 65,674
Mine too. Woooooo!!

Dec 4, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #10,724 of 65,674

I was also naturally interested when I first saw the news - then when I thought about it - reality kind of hit home.

I'll stick to my RS1s.

In your case, you have an excellent pair of woodie Grados. I have no doubt that these won't match the performance of the RS1. I don't think that's the goal either. I'm hoping these will be on par with the 325 but with a woodie sound and of course the coolness of wood and being a limited edition.

That's why some of us will bother...cause they are just cool. I took the chance. They're Grados. I figure unless they are complete turds, they won't loose much if any value if I decide to resell if I don't like them, especially being a limited edition. I've wanted woodie grados for a long time but never wanted to shell out the $500 for a pair of RS2 or $700 for the RS1. This seemed like a good chance.

Dec 4, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #10,725 of 65,674
I guess the bit I'm puzzled about (semi-closed / vented Grados) is "what is the point"?

Let's face it - the main reason for using closed headphones is for isolation - it's pretty much the only reason.  These are on-ear - not over-ear.  On-ear isolating headphones need reasonable clamp.  These are Grados!  I don't know about you guys - but every Grado I've owned - including the RS1's I have now - I always bend the headband slightly to relax the fit (otherwise .... torture!)

So thinking out loud .....
  • Closed Grado that's on ear - so you need to loosen fit
  • Vented anyway
  • Likely to be very little isolation (for you), and although leakage may be attenuated, it won't be nil
  • Priced at $400?

I'll stick to my RS1s.

Fuddy duddy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back