Grado Fan Club!
Oct 20, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #10,006 of 66,250

are pink drivers particularly better??

The drivers are not pink; only the cheesecloth cover is pink.
No one outside of Grado knows if the drivers are any different.
Thee were made during a transitional period:
1. John taking over from Joe Grado
2. changing from modifying outsourced drivers from Primo (HP-1000) to "making" drivers in house
3. engineering 'affordable' and 'profitable' headphones for consumers vs. Joe's cost is no object HP-1000
Best guess is one early batch of sourced cheese cloth was off and changes color.
IME the pinks all sound great/better.
Could just be they're from a time when Grado made fewer headphones more carefully.
For all we know, John assembled the early RS cans, he did assemble the HP-1000 for his uncle....

Oct 20, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #10,007 of 66,250
now i do love my lyr, but i missed having the LD 1+ , i decided to get another one
do i was checking amazon, and the price there was $116(stock chinese tubes) and free shipping
so if anyone has been on the fence about whether to get one, $116 and free shipping is the lowest
price i've seen for a new one, just passing the info along

Oct 21, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #10,010 of 66,250

are pink drivers particularly better??

different!

I've only had one pair of the "pink driver" grados. It was an Sr125. At that time, I also had my rs2, rs1, rs1i, and an sr60 I had very briefly.

The pink drivers behaved a bit different, IMO, they sounded smoother, they were not very picky on the source, and it seemed like the different earpads didn't change the sound as much as with newer grados.

they were in no way, technically as good as a higher priced Grado, but they sure as hell were enjoyable. Only when I compared them head to head with the others is when they fell short, otherwise, to me, it felt like nothing was really missing.

Oct 21, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #10,011 of 66,250
  now i do love my lyr, but i missed having the LD 1+ , i decided to get another one
do i was checking amazon, and the price there was $116(stock chinese tubes) and free shipping
so if anyone has been on the fence about whether to get one, $116 and free shipping is the lowest

yeah i absolutely love my LD. i honestly couldn't think of a better headphone amp, which offers so much customization and tweaking, for the price. 

it's a match made in heaven with grados

Oct 21, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #10,012 of 66,250

Ditto...If it really is THE amp for the Grados I could see myself buying yet another amp just for those.

plenty of people have. as many have mentioned, the III's are made for higher impedance headphones. the LD1+'s are designed for lower impedance cans. which make them perfect for grado's and magnums. 

Oct 21, 2013 at 2:19 AM Post #10,013 of 66,250
I've always been curious as to how different the LD1+ sounds from the MKIII...has anyone ever compared the two?

Ditto...If it really is THE amp for the Grados I could see myself buying yet another amp just for those.

yeah i absolutely love my LD. i honestly couldn't think of a better headphone amp, which offers so much customization and tweaking, for the price. 

it's a match made in heaven with grados

plenty of people have. as many have mentioned, the III's are made for higher impedance headphones. the LD1+'s are designed for lower impedance cans. which make them perfect for grado's and magnums. 

One other difference that I'm aware of is that the LD III doesn't permit one to swap out opamps to further customize the sound.

Oct 21, 2013 at 8:09 AM Post #10,015 of 66,250

+1

That is a great deal for that little amp

Oct 21, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #10,017 of 66,250
Is there an opamp that people recommend for the LD I+?
I saw something somewhere about the OPA2107?

The OPA2107  was my opamp of choice when I was using the LD1+

Oct 21, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #10,019 of 66,250
During my bout of insomnia early on Sunday morning, I placed an order for the Burr-Brown 2107 as well as the 2111.  Hoepfully, I'll get these this week.  But, I do have to say, even with the stock op-amp, my latest tubes, the Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV (about $40 shipped for a new pair from YenAudioStore), I'll have to say that the sound is just sweet to my ears.

Fortunately, the op-amps are somewhat cheap to try and see how things sound.  Getting the OPA627 from Burr-Brown is supposed to be a great op-amp too.  However, you'll need two op-amp chips and a Brown Dog adapter.  But, there's a big risk of getting some counterfeit chips too as many from China are just that - fake.  Instead, buying from DigiKey, Mouser, etc. might be a better alternative on the 627, though I havne't read too much on that chip with the Little Dot.  Finally, some people have sourced the OPA-627 from some older audio receivers before tossing them.  If manufacturers such as Yamaha and their older audio/video receivers used the chips, you could get a pair that they used for each channel.  I think the 627 has been around a long time (15+ years?) due to the popularity.

Oct 21, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #10,020 of 66,250
well, just ordered a set of heptodes for the little dot that shipped this morning
i got these

1. $%28KGrHqR,%21mIFJHuh%29YgnBSZT%29BKu6Q%7E%7E60_14.JPG

l

TELEFUNKEN EH900S 5915 EH960

they cost a little more, about half of the price of the little dot
i never did roll op amps when i had the little dot before, but i'm going to try some this time around

Users who are viewing this thread

Back