Grado Fan Club!
Oct 2, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #9,571 of 65,858
  In light of all the recent activity in this thread, I thought I'd share something I just saw on Instagram last night. Jon Grado has an account there under "@jongrado" where he shared some pics from some store visits. On the pic of Dijitalfix, he was asked the following:

benchevy_hga - "@jongrado in your opinion which grados are the best?" 

jongrado - "@benchevy_hga Each is different but the sound gets better as you go up in series. Currently my personal favorites are the RS1 and PS500"

Cheers to that!

- a happy PS500 owner

+1  (ps500 and rs1i)

Oct 2, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #9,572 of 65,858
Oct 2, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #9,573 of 65,858
  benchevy_hga - "@jongrado in your opinion which grados are the best?" 

jongrado - "@benchevy_hga Each is different but the sound gets better as you go up in series. Currently my personal favorites are the RS1 and PS500"

I'm not surprised by his answer.  As most know, going further up the food chain might require a 100% price increase for 5% more performance.  I'm quite sure those models have hit the top of the gains in performance for the price.  After that, each gain is not normally as significant and the cost increases.

I will say one thing though.  I started using the G-cush on my PS-500s a bit over a week back.  I'm getting really taken in by what I hear.  The RS1i isn't getting much love lately.

Markm1,  If you have a moment, send me a message.  I live in No. VA.  If  you haven't heard the RS1i or PS-500 over an extended period of time, we might be able to work something out for trying a pair for a bit.

Oct 2, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #9,574 of 65,858

Jay, I'm just curious...do you see yourself keeping both in your collection?

if you'd asked me this question within the first few days, i'd have said i liked the 500 better, by a significant margin, it has a very strong character ,
the rs1i, has really grown on me, its character is more subtle, so its gaining ground
for now yes, but if i had to choose just one between the two, still the 500, by a hair

Oct 2, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #9,575 of 65,858

I will say one thing though.  I started using the G-cush on my PS-500s a bit over a week back.  I'm getting really taken in by what I hear.  The RS1i isn't getting much love lately.

+1 for the G-cush on the PS-500's, really loving them this way.

Oct 2, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #9,576 of 65,858
Oct 2, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #9,577 of 65,858
I find interesting the fact that many people swap different pads on their Grados, often ending up preffering them to the stock ones. Surely, Grado must be aware of this, and since the pads aren't cheap, they could capitalize on this, if the sales people would mention to potential buyers that they can tweak them to suite their moods, and the fact that it only takes a few seconds to do, is just icing on the cake.

To be honest, I too, have tryed my hand at pads swapping, after reading about how great the SR80i sound with L-cush. I've always thought of the SR80i as unbelievably good for their price, but the L-cush take them to a whole new level. This is great news, especially for people on a tighter budget who use the SR80i as their main headphones. I tryed them with my new Little Dot 1+, and in my opinion, this very afordable setup gives you the lion's share of what the best Grados has to offer.

Oct 2, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #9,578 of 65,858
I just purchased a MAD EAR + HD amp here at the buy/sell/trade forums.

Can't wait to hear this with my RS1i.

I am really stoked!  WOOHOO!

Once I receive my TTVJ flats, I will then have all of the pads for my RS1i.

I prefer it with the L cushion, but at times I will listen with the G-cushion.....and soon the flats.

I agree, it is a great option and it is fast and easy to make the switch.

Oct 2, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #9,580 of 65,858
  I find interesting the fact that many people swap different pads on their Grados, often ending up preffering them to the stock ones. Surely, Grado must be aware of this, and since the pads aren't cheap, they could capitalize on this, if the sales people would mention to potential buyers that they can tweak them to suite their moods, and the fact that it only takes a few seconds to do, is just icing on the cake.

To be honest, I too, have tryed my hand at pads swapping, after reading about how great the SR80i sound with L-cush. I've always thought of the SR80i as unbelievably good for their price, but the L-cush take them to a whole new level. This is great news, especially for people on a tighter budget who use the SR80i as their main headphones. I tryed them with my new Little Dot 1+, and in my opinion, this very afordable setup gives you the lion's share of what the best Grados has to offer.

I'm very keen myself to try out the L-cush on my MS1... I have this feeling that it will really open up the soundstage quite nicely.  I suppose I could swap the ones off my RS1i...
biggrin.gif

Oct 2, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #9,581 of 65,858
  does anyone have a pic of their PS500s with the G-cush? Maybe I missed one in this thread? 

i do spend more time with the g's on the 500's, but i sometimes change.
i've not yet tried the g's on the rs1i though,

Oct 2, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #9,582 of 65,858

I'm very keen myself to try out the L-cush on my MS1... I have this feeling that it will really open up the soundstage quite nicely.  I suppose I could swap the ones off my RS1i...
biggrin.gif

i very much preferred the L-cush on the ms1 , so much so that i bought a set just for them when i had the ms1

Oct 2, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #9,583 of 65,858

I prefer it with the L cushion, but at times I will listen with the G-cushion.....and soon the flats.

After you've had some listener break-in, I'll be VERY VERY interested in your detailed description of the RS1i personality with the Mad Ear. Way to go!

Oct 2, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #9,584 of 65,858
Oct 2, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #9,585 of 65,858

congrats on the MAD !!  look forward to your impressions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back