Grado Fan Club!
Sep 30, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #9,556 of 65,858
  The Grado (G) cushions are $45.00, I once tried them also but they weren't for me either.

You have to pair them carefully.  On the GS-1000, GS-1000i, and PS-1000 are the models that they were designed for.  But, they work pretty well on the PS-500, too.  In fact, I don't think I'll use the regular L-Cush on the PS-500s again.  The G-Cush is just pretty impressive.

The downfall is that the pads can put pressure on the tops of your ears.  The headband may have to be raised up a bit. I currently use a piece of 3/4" foam that I insert between my head and the headband to raise them slightly.  Then, the pads don't rest on the tops of my ears.

Then again, we all have to realize we hear things differently.  Not all pads will be all things to all people. 

Oct 1, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #9,558 of 65,858
I'm having issues (sometimes) with myLD1+/Modi with noise interference through the USB on my MBP. I cant remember where I read about a noise filter for this type of issue, I believe I read it was about $50.00U.S. Can anybody help me out with what it is I exactly need to correct this issue, and recommend one that works well? Thanks.

Oct 1, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #9,559 of 65,858
  I'm having issues (sometimes) with myLD1+/Modi with noise interference through the USB on my MBP. I cant remember where I read about a noise filter for this type of issue, I believe I read it was about $50.00U.S. Can anybody help me out with what it is I exactly need to correct this issue, and recommend one that works well? Thanks.

There may be some other items to consider first.

1) Are you using WASAPI?

2) Have you utilized the latency tool to check the USB latency?  I've heard the WASAPI isn't so efficient.  Apparently, the ASIO drivers are a bit better in this regard.

3) There are some adjustments for the device based on application priority, too.  You would have to ensure that those have been ironed out and are not the cause of the issue.

I suspect that you might be able to get your issue resolved by reviewing what I've listed.  While the list isn't complete by any stretch, it will provide you with some insight on items to check.  The other forums for Computer Audio here on Head-Fi might be useful, too, as well as contain more troubleshooting tips.

I did see those pictures to the filters that you can buy.  But, I suspect that if any other potential issues are not resolved, the use of such a filter might not be fully effective.

Oct 1, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #9,560 of 65,858

There may be some other items to consider first.

1) Are you using WASAPI?

2) Have you utilized the latency tool to check the USB latency?  I've heard the WASAPI isn't so efficient.  Apparently, the ASIO drivers are a bit better in this regard.

3) There are some adjustments for the device based on application priority, too.  You would have to ensure that those have been ironed out and are not the cause of the issue.

I suspect that you might be able to get your issue resolved by reviewing what I've listed.  While the list isn't complete by any stretch, it will provide you with some insight on items to check.  The other forums for Computer Audio here on Head-Fi might be useful, too, as well as contain more troubleshooting tips.

I did see those pictures to the filters that you can buy.  But, I suspect that if any other potential issues are not resolved, the use of such a filter might not be fully effective.

Thanks so much for the info.
The first two questions that you asked, I have no idea what you mean! Unless you are talking about the format I use, which is ALAC.
The third question I think you mean the setting in the MBP's (MIDI) setup, if so they are setup correctly. Thanks for directing me to the Computer Audio thread on Head-Fi, I didn't know about this thread.

Oct 1, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #9,561 of 65,858

Thanks so much for the info.
The first two questions that you asked, I have no idea what you mean! Unless you are talking about the format I use, which is ALAC.
The third question I think you mean the setting in the MBP's (MIDI) setup, if so they are setup correctly. Thanks for directing me to the Computer Audio thread on Head-Fi, I didn't know about this thread.

I see. I didn't try to overwhelm you with the questions.  But, there are some adjustments that can be made to hopefully resolve what you're experiencing.  Some members would just tell you to switch over to an optical feed and dump the USB.  However, if you are willing to be patient to go through the necessary troubleshooting, I'm quite sure you'll be able to get things under control.

Unfortunately, what I've learned about setting up a USB DAC to run successfully in a computer environment didn't come from just one single place.  I've had various issues in the past and have found my answers scattered around many areas where people were discussing the issue and the resolution.  It would be great if I could just point you to one place where you could be instructed on which steps to take in order to address then.  But, with the information spread all over the place, we have to handle this with a ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder) syndrome approach as things tend to be fragmented all over the place.

Oct 1, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #9,562 of 65,858

I see. I didn't try to overwhelm you with the questions.  But, there are some adjustments that can be made to hopefully resolve what you're experiencing.  Some members would just tell you to switch over to an optical feed and dump the USB.  However, if you are willing to be patient to go through the necessary troubleshooting, I'm quite sure you'll be able to get things under control.

Unfortunately, what I've learned about setting up a USB DAC to run successfully in a computer environment didn't come from just one single place.  I've had various issues in the past and have found my answers scattered around many areas where people were discussing the issue and the resolution.  It would be great if I could just point you to one place where you could be instructed on which steps to take in order to address then.  But, with the information spread all over the place, we have to handle this with a ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder) syndrome approach as things tend to be fragmented all over the place.

Really appreciate you helping me out! I have the Modi so it has no optical, but I also have a Meridian with optical that I use with the MBP and there is no interference at all. But you just gave me an idea, maybe I will buy a USB to mini connector for the MBP. The headphone out is also an optical out on the MBP. Thanks again, I didn't even think about that. I'm going to see if they make such a cable, and if so I'm going to order it. I'm also still going to look at the thread you recommended earlier when I get the chance later. Thanks again!!!

Oct 1, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #9,565 of 65,858
I've done some searching for an optical-output cable (from my MBP) to a USB-input (to my Modi dac), and have also searched the Computer Audio thread with no results. I don't think such a cable exists.

Maybe I'm confused, but you mean SPDIF to USB?

They exist and can be had for $20. I have one (it's a box that you plug spdif into one side with USB output) but you can get cables

Sorry if I missed the mark here

Oct 1, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #9,566 of 65,858
Maybe I'm confused, but you mean SPDIF to USB?

They exist and can be had for $20. I have one (it's a box that you plug spdif into one side with USB output) but you can get cables

Sorry if I missed the mark here

Instead of using a USB connection between my MBP's USB port going into the Schiit Modi's USB port, I want to use the optical out from my MBP's headphone out instead of the USB port, but the back of the Modi only has a USB port, so I was looking for an optical to USB cable, but as far as I've read and inquired about this, it can't be done.

Oct 2, 2013 at 3:12 AM Post #9,567 of 65,858
Here's a link to an older thread for converting USB to Optical.  There might be some good information present, but I'd also ensure that the information would be correct for today, considering the thread is about 5 years old.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/240037/usb-to-optical-adapter

But, going back to my earlier reply, you might consider looking at latency rates - and then determine what could be creating a latency issue for USB and potentially causing sound drop-outs and interruptions.  This is a link to a good, free utility for such the task.  When you see your results and if there is some high latency, they will offer tips to debug and troubleshoot the issue.  Normally, you would go device by device and disable one at a time to determine which is causing the spikes.  If you note one that is not needed, you might be able to completely disable it.  But, if you have a device that is needed, yet causing the latency, you might then look a bit further into trying to reduce that latency - or going to another port, etc. to see if it can be reduced.  I personally think that spending a bit of time to debug the issue and then resolve it if you can would be a better option as opposed to placing a band-aid over the true issue.  Again, that's just my impression and observation.

http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

Oct 2, 2013 at 8:22 AM Post #9,569 of 65,858
  Here's a link to an older thread for converting USB to Optical.  There might be some good information present, but I'd also ensure that the information would be correct for today, considering the thread is about 5 years old.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/240037/usb-to-optical-adapter

But, going back to my earlier reply, you might consider looking at latency rates - and then determine what could be creating a latency issue for USB and potentially causing sound drop-outs and interruptions.  This is a link to a good, free utility for such the task.  When you see your results and if there is some high latency, they will offer tips to debug and troubleshoot the issue.  Normally, you would go device by device and disable one at a time to determine which is causing the spikes.  If you note one that is not needed, you might be able to completely disable it.  But, if you have a device that is needed, yet causing the latency, you might then look a bit further into trying to reduce that latency - or going to another port, etc. to see if it can be reduced.  I personally think that spending a bit of time to debug the issue and then resolve it if you can would be a better option as opposed to placing a band-aid over the true issue.  Again, that's just my impression and observation.

http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

Thanks again, I'm pretty much new to computer audio (less than a year), I usually used my home system. I've saved the site that you recommended and will visit it when I get the time later. Thanks again.

Oct 2, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #9,570 of 65,858
In light of all the recent activity in this thread, I thought I'd share something I just saw on Instagram last night. Jon Grado has an account there under "@jongrado" where he shared some pics from some store visits. On the pic of Dijitalfix, he was asked the following:

benchevy_hga - "@jongrado in your opinion which grados are the best?" 

jongrado - "@benchevy_hga Each is different but the sound gets better as you go up in series. Currently my personal favorites are the RS1 and PS500"

Cheers to that!

- a happy PS500 owner

Users who are viewing this thread

Back