Grado Fan Club!
Jul 16, 2013 at 2:28 AM Post #8,116 of 65,714
Quote:
The 225 is a noticeable upgrade, but the 225 is where the line starts to head into harsh-sounding territory, so I would start with the 80, and if you like the Grado house sound, return them and upgrade to the 225. (80 are also a tad less amp/dac picky)

Beg to differ.
IMHO the 225s are one of the least harsh sounding Grados.
In harshness, the 325s and GS1000s take the cake.

Jul 16, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #8,117 of 65,714
At first i couldn't hear the difference between sr80i's and my lowly senn hd202s while my source was pc (without DAC). After 2 months of burn in as well as i plugged it into my onkyo's 705 cd player it sounds much more decently for my dads jazz album...honestly it changes my inclination of music while my favorite genres before are rock and metal. now its more preferable for me listening to britpop, new ages and jazz.

Jul 16, 2013 at 9:37 AM Post #8,118 of 65,714
Quote:
Beg to differ.
IMHO the 225s are one of the least harsh sounding Grados.
In harshness, the 325s and GS1000s take the cake.

I find the 225i to be more "revealing" and "detailed" than the 60/80 and that can be mistaken for harsh, especially with the wrong source or recording. 

Jul 16, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #8,119 of 65,714
I'm finding the source material is hit and miss. Some things sound light years better and others like poop. Kind of getting a handle on what to listen to and through what (computer or iPhone/ipad)

Jul 16, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #8,120 of 65,714
Quote:
I'm finding the source material is hit and miss. Some things sound light years better and others like poop. Kind of getting a handle on what to listen to and through what (computer or iPhone/ipad)

what parbaked said ^

Jul 16, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #8,121 of 65,714
I own both the 80i and 325is, and they are both very reveiling headphones. Since I've gotten the LD1+ and also the Schiit Magni/Modi, my 325is's are much more detailed and less bloated, with both of these souces, (where as I had stated in some previous posts that the 80i's where much more detailed to me than the 325is) this was because of my source equipment (Adcom and my Meridian DAC), but I haven't spent any time with my 80i's with either the LD or the Schiit yet because I had no problem with the way the 80i's sounded from the Adcom and the Meridian, but I didn't like the way my 325is's sounded from these sources. Also I haven't had enough time to give an opinion on whether I like the LD or the Schiit better, but for the little amount of time I have spent with each of them with the 325is's, I am liking them both right from the start. 

Jul 16, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #8,122 of 65,714
Quote:
I own both the 80i and 325is, and they are both very reveiling headphones. Since I've gotten the LD1+ and also the Schiit Magni/Modi, my 325is's are much more detailed and less bloated, with both of these souces, (where as I had stated in some previous posts that the 80i's where much more detailed to me than the 325is) this was because of my source equipment (Adcom and my Meridian DAC), but I haven't spent any time with my 80i's with either the LD or the Schiit yet because I had no problem with the way the 80i's sounded from the Adcom and the Meridian, but I didn't like the way my 325is's sounded from these sources. Also I haven't had enough time to give an opinion on whether I like the LD or the Schiit better, but for the little amount of time I have spent with each of them with the 325is's, I am liking them both right from the start. 

joseph i've discovered i've been using the wrong tubes for the way my little dot is set up right now, i've got some new ones on the way.
i'm set up for EF95's, i've got some additional, compatible tubes on the way,

Jul 16, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #8,123 of 65,714
Are the GR10 or GR8 good in ears, and if compared to the fullsized Grado's, what grado's are they closest to?

Jul 16, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #8,124 of 65,714
Quote:
joseph i've discovered i've been using the wrong tubes for the way my little dot is set up right now, i've got some new ones on the way.
i'm set up for EF95's, i've got some additional, compatible tubes on the way,

My LD1+ came with 6AKW5 tubes in it, but I really haven't had enough time to spend with it, plus I'm sure the tubes need plenty more burn in time, and also these are the only tubes I have right now, but I'm waiting for 6J1P-EV (EF95 6F32 6AK7) Gold Platinum Grid (NOS) from Russia to compare after I burn in th 6AK5W's. The little time I have had to listen, I've been listening to the Magni/Modi with the 325is's, and I am impressed so far, but I need much more listening time, and like I stated earlier, I need to compare the LD and the Schiit to see which one I will enjoy more, only time will tell, and as you know the hybrid tube amp is all new to me, so I have plenty of learning to do about it.
BTW, what tubes where in your LD, and why do you want to change them?
Right now I'm listening to Bob James & David Sanborn- Double Vision track from my MBP with the Magn/Modi, and I must say, Ive never heard my 325is's sound so good.

Jul 16, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #8,125 of 65,714
Quote:
My LD1+ came with 6AKW5 tubes in it, but I really haven't had enough time to spend with it, plus I'm sure the tubes need plenty more burn in time, and also these are the only tubes I have right now, but I'm waiting for 6J1P-EV (EF95 6F32 6AK7) Gold Platinum Grid (NOS) from Russia to compare after I burn in th 6AK5W's. The little time I have had to listen, I've been listening to the Magni/Modi with the 325is's, and I am impressed so far, but I need much more listening time, and like I stated earlier, I need to compare the LD and the Schiit to see which one I will enjoy more, only time will tell, and as you know the hybrid tube amp is all new to me, so I have plenty of learning to do about it.
BTW, what tubes where in your LD, and why do you want to change them?
Right now I'm listening to Bob James & David Sanborn- Double Vision track from my MBP with the Magn/Modi, and I must say, Ive never heard my 325is's sound so good.

yeah , i'm pretty new to the tube/hybrid headphone amp scene myself, when i got the amp, the siemens 6ak5's were in it, they sound fine, and the ge 408's didn't sound bad, but the amp isn't set up for them and before i get to moving jumpers, i thought i'd get some more EH95's, got some RCA 5915's, and RCA 6ak5 on the way,  you got the[size=x-small] Voskshod's [/size]didn't you ??

Jul 16, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #8,126 of 65,714
OH MAN!

ps500 + g-cush + o2 +odac +Carmen (flac of course) = sexual... really that good...

Sorry never tried any opera with the ps500

Jul 16, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #8,127 of 65,714
Quote:
OH MAN!

ps500 + g-cush + o2 +odac +Carmen (flac of course) = sexual... really that good...

Sorry never tried any opera with the ps500

Joe Grado was a renowned opera fan AND singer so there you go...
beerchug.gif

Jul 16, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #8,128 of 65,714
^ well played lol

Jul 16, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #8,130 of 65,714
You should try the L-Cush (bowl) pads or the TTVJ Flat Pads.
Either is an upgrade from the pads that came with your 80s.
L-Cush place drivers farther from your ears and have bigger soundstage .
TTVJ Flats have more bass punch and slam.
L-Cush is the more conventional upgrade...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back