Grado Fan Club!
May 26, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #7,441 of 65,869
Quote:
Went to my first meet. A lot of great HP's and gear making my head sping...some amazing rigs. Yet, in some ways it makes me appreciate the simple pleasures my 225i brings!

Good for you, and the way i see it, when you get to the $500-$600 price point,, the law of diminishing returns really start to rear it's hugly head, so, i believe that you're still getting the lion's share with your SR225.

May 27, 2013 at 7:53 AM Post #7,442 of 65,869
Quote:

Good for you, and the way i see it, when you get to the $500-$600 price point,, the law of diminishing returns really start to rear it's hugly head, so, i believe that you're still getting the lion's share with your SR225.

Right on. Fact is My Grados are my only real reference point. Oh, I've heard briefly a few Sennhiesers, AKG's, etc. But, this was first time to hear some higher end HPs from different companies I've read about on Headfi. I can see there is a bias against Grados. I really wanted to hear some RSI1 and PS500's-but none were there. I did get to do an A-B-C listen though which was interesting on some nice DIY tube amps:

A)My 225i- with tape mod

B)Grado 325

C) Hifiman 500

I left thinking the HE 500 might be a nice different set of cans to compliment my 225. And it was interesting to hear the arguments that my 225 are my "bright", have more "sizzle" and that the HE 500's are more-"polite", perhaps more refined searching for the right word here-maybe more nuanced, layed back, more sound stage. I could hear some of that. But still for hard driving music-I was able to hear some Led Zeppelin and Metallica on a couple of set ups-I think my 225's are hard to beat. I also thought they sounded really strong w/ Nora Jones. There is a foreword presentation that I like-I think that's just what I'm used to at this point. The 500's sounded better with classical IMO. I forget her name, but a popular recording of a young violin vituoso who combines violin with hip hop sounds-TBH, I  didnt' think my Grados did her justice compared to the HE. Funny thing is, if I listen to my Grados at home, I think they are amazing. Then, throw on some pricey other HP's and sweet gear-some $3-5,000 set up and I think-OK, yeah these are pretty sweet. But, they should be for the cost!

The HE 400 sounded good for base heavy hip hop, EDM, but I'm not really a fan of those styles.

I did get to hear some Audeze LCD 2 and 3. But, I would not be willing to spend upwards of $2,000. The Audeze sounded pretty darn good, I have to admit.

[size=10pt]Finally, I will say the STAX SR-009 won the day. Absolutely hands down-blew EVERYTHING else away. Just a different experience. When I put them on, it just took me to a different head space. Like listening to music live with awesome acoustics. When I think of "hi fi" that would be it. Just exquisite.  The HE/Audeze didn’t even come close. Then, I looked at the price....definitely out of my price range. Yikes![/size]

Now, I'd like hear the RS1i and PS 500 and see how I think they stack up to the HE-I liked the Audeze. But, I'm not willing to go above $5-800 at this point.

May 27, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #7,443 of 65,869
May anyone give a thumbnail sketch of the Grado/Allesandro line?

60/80/125/225/325 and on up?

I will be buying something 60i or 80i level in a few months and want to know the various sounds.

TIA!

May 27, 2013 at 9:05 AM Post #7,444 of 65,869
Quote:

I will be buying something 60i or 80i level in a few months and want to know the various sounds.

TIA!

hmm? what do you mean by thumbnail sketch? 
blink.gif

May 27, 2013 at 9:09 AM Post #7,445 of 65,869
May 27, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #7,446 of 65,869
Quote:

TIA!

There arn't really various sounds in that line, it just the same sound only slightly more refined at each step up, little more bass, little more texture, little more instrument separation, little more detail throughout. That is the thing that some people like about Grado and other hate, you don't get a very different sound as you move up the line, just more and better sound. If you audition any of those phones you will have a pretty good idea what you are going to get.

May 27, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #7,447 of 65,869
Quote:
an overview?

oh oops, i was thinking of a mini sketch picture or something 
ph34r.gif

basically the SR60 is the darkest and bassiest sounding and the SR325i being the brightest.
Alessandros are more full bodied sounding and a bit more laidback while having a slightly larger soundstage which some say loses the Grado's intimate signature but at the same time some say is not harsh like the Grados. (though the MS Pro's soundstage is smaller than the lower end MS2i and is more like the Grado line)

May 27, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #7,448 of 65,869
Quote:

TIA!

Buy the Grado SR80i, and you will be more than satisfied, especially for the price/performance. And also buy (L) cushions from Grado for them, it will make the sound stage a bit wider and give the sound more depth, they are great headphones.

May 27, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #7,449 of 65,869
And also buy (L) cushions from Grado for them, it will make the sound stage a bit wider and give the sound more depth, they are great headphones.

L cushions?

May 27, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #7,450 of 65,869
Quote:
Buy the Grado SR80i, and you will be more than satisfied, especially for the price/performance. And also buy (L) cushions from Grado for them, it will make the sound stage a bit wider and give the sound more depth, they are great headphones.

The 80s are hard to beat for the price, but I have to say, I do not regret moving up to the 325is. They really kick it up a notch on detail, clarity and sub-base. I then modded my 80s with the Magnum drivers and was really blown away. Grados all have the same sound character, but there really is something to be gained with some of the pricier models.

May 27, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #7,453 of 65,869
Quote:
The 80s are hard to beat for the price, but I have to say, I do not regret moving up to the 325is. They really kick it up a notch on detail, clarity and sub-base. I then modded my 80s with the Magnum drivers and was really blown away. Grados all have the same sound character, but there really is something to be gained with some of the pricier models.

I also own the 325is, and they are awesome, but I personally think the 80i's reveal more detail and air between the instruments than the 325is's, due to the 325is's wider sound stage, depth and overall bass presence. But I love them both for different reasons. 

May 27, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #7,454 of 65,869
Quote:
L cushions?

the bowl shaped cushions that leave the driver open, they  come on the 225 and up
the 60, 80,125,come with s-cushions, they cover the whole driver

May 27, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #7,455 of 65,869
Quote:
I also own the 325is, and they are awesome, but I personally think the 80i's reveal more detail and air between the instruments than the 325is's, due to the 325is's wider sound stage, depth and overall bass presence. But I love them both for different reasons. 

Interesting. I had almost exactly the opposite impression going from the 80s (no "I") to the 325i. I thought the 325i had less mid bass and more clarity, detail, and instrument separation than the 80s. Either way, yes, I love them both for what they are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back