Grado Fan Club!
Feb 21, 2023 at 3:49 PM Post #59,026 of 65,930
Pads are naturally stock pads. F-pads on Hemps and L-Pads on RS2x.
Pads change sound so much that comparing with non stock pads is waste of time. In my opinion.

Both of these headphones can be ruined if changing pads something else than stock pads. :)
Thanks - acknowledged. Have to confess though, that I do change pads once in while.....:innocent:

Feb 21, 2023 at 4:21 PM Post #59,027 of 65,930
I bought an rs1x a couple of months ago and it was (and still is) perfect.
Bought SR325X Jan 2022 and RS2X Dec 2023 new and absolutely no issues, except them taking up most of my listening time.

Feb 21, 2023 at 6:12 PM Post #59,028 of 65,930
Just received the gs3000x. Drivers unfortunately not matched and as soon as I turn my head around and the cable moves, the sound on the right side goes away. Same when I touch the cable at a specific spot at the y splitter. Highly underwhelming. Never had such an experience with good audio gear. That’s my first grado purchase. Are they known for bad qc? I mean, that thing costs over 2k here in Germany…
Just ask for a replacement. That’s what the warranty is for.

Feb 21, 2023 at 6:54 PM Post #59,029 of 65,930
Which earpads (cushions) are you using? (I found my RS-1x joy with the F-cushions: TTVJ deluxe flats 🤷🏻‍♂️.)

Well, I am still in my exploration phase with pads...

The stock L-pads sounded pretty good, even taking account that the headphone (or my head) wasn't burned in yet. So, the next pads I tried are the ZMF Beyerdynamic perforated lambskin with the Grado adapter which improved the bass a little bit and are vastly more comfortable than the L-pads.

Just last week a set of genuine Grado G-cushions arrived. The clone versions are not the same. They are not worth the return postage.

To my ears, the Grado G's sound very similar to the L-pads with a little less bass and a bit less comfort than the ZMFs. I'm still working out the soundstage difference.

All that said, I really glad I jumped into the Grado pool! I'm really enjoying the RS-1X.

Once I have the pads sorted out (pad rolling is new to me as well), I may have some questions for you about headamps as I am down to just one for now.

Feb 21, 2023 at 9:37 PM Post #59,030 of 65,930
I wouldn't call it narrow. It's "closer", and not so "pin point accurate". But it's narrower than RS2x. And not so airy.
But funny thing is that it does not matter, to me. When listening Hemps you simply do not pay attention to this small detail. :wink:
It's music that matters. The whole.
Okay, all this good talk has now set my course of listening for this evening
Well, I am still in my exploration phase with pads...

The stock L-pads sounded pretty good, even taking account that the headphone (or my head) wasn't burned in yet. So, the next pads I tried are the ZMF Beyerdynamic perforated lambskin with the Grado adapter which improved the bass a little bit and are vastly more comfortable than the L-pads.

Just last week a set of genuine Grado G-cushions arrived. The clone versions are not the same. They are not worth the return postage.

To my ears, the Grado G's sound very similar to the L-pads with a little less bass and a bit less comfort than the ZMFs. I'm still working out the soundstage difference.

All that said, I really glad I jumped into the Grado pool! I'm really enjoying the RS-1X.

Once I have the pads sorted out (pad rolling is new to me as well), I may have some questions for you about headamps as I am down to just one for now.
There are quite a number of amps that will do well.

One amp that often is forgotten is the Joseph Grado Signature headphone amp. They don’t show up for sale too often but will compete with amps costing $1000 or more. As you might imagine it makes a very good match with Grados in general.

When you get closer to thinking of another amp there will be a lot of good feedback and suggestions from our fellow members.

Have fun…
Sorry to hear of your issues.

Reach out to the dealer you purchased them from and they should handle anything for you.

I have the GS3000x just about broken in and they are a wonderful phone. May you get there soon.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2023 at 12:48 AM Post #59,031 of 65,930
I cannot imagine getting better sound from RS-1x (F-cushions). The h/p/a: Icon Audio HP8; the tubes: Ken-Rad VT-231 pair, Brimar CV455 (KB/FB: Footscray) ….
AB9D01CB-9E11-4AAC-919C-43690F8E0A2E.jpeg
…. RS-1x has fully flexed bass muscle - with deep extension - alongside its glorious midrange, treble, soundstage.

Feb 22, 2023 at 3:45 AM Post #59,033 of 65,930
Of course. Not a good testament to their qc though. Guess I just move on
It's annoying, yes. But in the long run, would you benefit more from a flawless Grado qc or an outstanding headphone you got on the second try?

Feb 22, 2023 at 4:13 AM Post #59,034 of 65,930
It's annoying, yes. But in the long run, would you benefit more from a flawless Grado qc or an outstanding headphone you got on the second try?
I know haha…have to let the frustration go. It’s just for 2,4K for a flagship headphone you wouldn’t expect that. But obviously it can always happen. It sounded to good anyway to not get one :wink:

Feb 22, 2023 at 4:18 AM Post #59,035 of 65,930
Oh crap. That’s really bad! Someone else here had a similar issue…too bad. Really like them when listening at a store…
Buy a pair of 225/325E and DT1770/1990 and a ok dac\amp. Then you have all you need :)

Feb 22, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #59,036 of 65,930
I cannot imagine getting better sound from RS-1x (F-cushions). The h/p/a: Icon Audio HP8; the tubes: Ken-Rad VT-231 pair, Brimar CV455 (KB/FB: Footscray) …. AB9D01CB-9E11-4AAC-919C-43690F8E0A2E.jpeg …. RS-1x has fully flexed bass muscle - with deep extension - alongside its glorious midrange, treble, soundstage.
OK then... Just pulled the trigger on a set of TTVJ Deluxe Flats.

Thanks for the advice.

Feb 22, 2023 at 6:29 PM Post #59,037 of 65,930
That only works for Americans in America, in most cases.

Customers of American companies outside America don't exist. Alternatively, the customer is the distributor. If you are lucky and have a good distributor you can get help that way. If not, you're S.O.L.

Feb 22, 2023 at 7:57 PM Post #59,038 of 65,930

Customers of American companies outside America don't exist. Alternatively, the customer is the distributor. If you are lucky and have a good distributor you can get help that way. If not, you're S.O.L.
Most stores will do a replacement for items that are defective out of the box. The policies I have seen are something like: First X days the store replaces the defective item, after that contact the manufacturer.

I don’t recommend buying from a store that sells new items without any guarantee that they work. DOA items and early failures are somewhat common.

Feb 22, 2023 at 8:01 PM Post #59,039 of 65,930

Whichever country it was purchased there should be a distributor in importing the product from Grado as long as you purchased the product from an authorized seller for Grado products. The store that you purchased from should get things straightened out to resolve your issue.

Good luck

Feb 22, 2023 at 8:19 PM Post #59,040 of 65,930
Most stores will do a replacement for items that are defective out of the box. The policies I have seen are something like: First X days the store replaces the defective item, after that contact the manufacturer.

I don’t recommend buying from a store that sells new items without any guarantee that they work. DOA items and early failures are somewhat common.
If a store did do that they could lose their authorization to sell the product. Reach out to the distributor for your area and take it up with them.

My experience having been in retail audio for many years has been that DOA or even a driver going out is not really all that common. Granted device must be used within it’s own stated limits.

There had been a couple of companies of good repute and high end market range that went through a rash of failures suddenly appearing but this is certainly not at all a norm or acceptable given the high price of some of the culprits.

That said with all the headphones and speakers 🔊 I have sold through the years (35+) there have been very, very few that were DOA or needed replacement within the warranty or even a bit beyond.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back