Grado Fan Club!
Feb 20, 2023 at 6:36 PM Post #59,011 of 65,927
Hi all any opinions on the Original PS1000s? Considering pursuing them. Thanks
I have only one opinion of the PS1000. Its awesome.

I've got the original version with the matte finish. That shiny chrome one joseph69 is selling sure is pretty 😍

Feb 20, 2023 at 6:57 PM Post #59,012 of 65,927
If I liked sr80x so much and want little more clarity and similar bass, should I buy rs2x? My shop guy told me rs1x is better in many ways but what I see is 1x is slightly lack of bass compare to 2x and the treble is a bit thin?

IMHO, maybe you can consider a SR325x. It's an easy choice, everything will sound great, like the SR80x, no matter the source/amp.

Sometimes I think the RS2x it's a more niche heaphone, for advanced audiophiles that knows about amplification, dacs, etc.

I'm having a lot of fun with mine, but sometimes I think everything is very stiff depending the recording. The unforgiving thing. Because of this I'm using a lot the TrueBass button on my iFi Zen Dac. With my 80x and 325x I don't need it. BUT somedays I can enjoy the RS2x without the TrueBass.

I made a bad joke here (deleted) about a friend who was socked about the RS1x souding awfull for him - but it's truly understandable.

Going up in the Reference Series seens a easy choice and more ease to be pleased. I view the Reference Series now for advanced and hardcore Grafo fans.

But truth be told, I love hanging out with all my different Grado, rotating depending on the mood. :)

Feb 20, 2023 at 7:07 PM Post #59,013 of 65,927
Bass is much dryer with RS2x, maybe a little too dry. Very good bass though.

I agree. If you like the SR80x bass, maybe you will miss it in the RS2x. Sometimes I think I need a tube amp for the RS2x. It's thin and dry with bad recordings with the standart setting on the iFi Zen Dac. But when I use it on my Cambridge AXA35 it's much more fulled sound. Again, RS2x feels it's for connoisseur.

And more and more I enjoy my old SR80e, it's amazing how sound great with radio, computers, bad recordings, phones, etc etc. :)

Feb 20, 2023 at 11:25 PM Post #59,014 of 65,927
Right.

The GH3 would be the best of the Prestige series (perhaps some would still prefer the 325), but it was the worst of the GH models. It was not particularly beautiful (compared to other wood models), yet it was better looking than the plastic SR headphones.
I own and love both, the GH1 and GH2.
Unfortunately, I've never heard the GH3 or GH4.

Feb 21, 2023 at 12:25 AM Post #59,015 of 65,927
Many thanks for this. Just a very silly question: when you compare, it is with the same pads on both - right?
Pads are naturally stock pads. F-pads on Hemps and L-Pads on RS2x.
Pads change sound so much that comparing with non stock pads is waste of time. In my opinion.

Both of these headphones can be ruined if changing pads something else than stock pads. :)

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2023 at 1:07 AM Post #59,016 of 65,927
Pads are naturally stock pads. F-pads on Hemps and L-Pads on RS2x.
Pads change sound so much that comparing with non stock pads is waste of time. In my opinion.

Both of these headphones can be ruined if changing pads something else than stock pads. :)
The drivers really are tuned to be with a specific pad. G pads on a 225 was unlistenable as was F pads on GS1000. I

Feb 21, 2023 at 1:35 AM Post #59,017 of 65,927
IMHO, maybe you can consider a SR325x. It's an easy choice, everything will sound great, like the SR80x, no matter the source/amp.

Sometimes I think the RS2x it's a more niche heaphone, for advanced audiophiles that knows about amplification, dacs, etc.

I'm having a lot of fun with mine, but sometimes I think everything is very stiff depending the recording. The unforgiving thing. Because of this I'm using a lot the TrueBass button on my iFi Zen Dac. With my 80x and 325x I don't need it. BUT somedays I can enjoy the RS2x without the TrueBass.

I made a bad joke here (deleted) about a friend who was socked about the RS1x souding awfull for him - but it's truly understandable.

Going up in the Reference Series seens a easy choice and more ease to be pleased. I view the Reference Series now for advanced and hardcore Grafo fans.

But truth be told, I love hanging out with all my different Grado, rotating depending on the mood. :)
the 325x is a very good headphone , which got my interest on grado in the shop. I wanted a small portable open back. went to the shop to hear LCD -1. Although in the end I bought the GH4, but I could see myself being happy with the purchase of 325x.
Amplification will never change the nature of a headphone.
Here is a grado fun page, but I still have to say get a HD600. its like buying a tape measure

Feb 21, 2023 at 2:33 AM Post #59,019 of 65,927
the 325x is a very good headphone , which got my interest on grado in the shop. I wanted a small portable open back. went to the shop to hear LCD -1. Although in the end I bought the GH4, but I could see myself being happy with the purchase of 325x.
Amplification will never change the nature of a headphone.
Here is a grado fun page, but I still have to say get a HD600. its like buying a tape measure
Depends what we mean by "nature". Grados are very easy to drive. But there's pretty big sonic difference (for my ears) with different amps.
Even with my RME Lo-power vs HI-power gives different sound with Grados.

Generally amplification has big effect to headphones sound. Sometimes very big.

Feb 21, 2023 at 3:46 AM Post #59,020 of 65,927
Depends what we mean by "nature". Grados are very easy to drive. But there's pretty big sonic difference (for my ears) with different amps.
Even with my RME Lo-power vs HI-power gives different sound with Grados.

Generally amplification has big effect to headphones sound. Sometimes very big.
pads, I like to keep many for one headphone. if amp change character of one headphone to another headphone, we should buy 1 headphone 10 amp. grado maybe should become amp making company. Same goes with string instrument, and the brand of strings you buy. Yes, it's very different and yet it is similar to the nature of the instrument.

pads are give and take situation, amp can improve headphones to the targeted ideal sound of the user. that is just my honestly experience.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2023 at 12:11 PM Post #59,021 of 65,927
Just received the gs3000x. Drivers unfortunately not matched and as soon as I turn my head around and the cable moves, the sound on the right side goes away. Same when I touch the cable at a specific spot at the y splitter. Highly underwhelming. Never had such an experience with good audio gear. That’s my first grado purchase. Are they known for bad qc? I mean, that thing costs over 2k here in Germany…

Feb 21, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #59,022 of 65,927
Just received the gs3000x. Drivers unfortunately not matched and as soon as I turn my head around and the cable moves, the sound on the right side goes away. Same when I touch the cable at a specific spot at the y splitter. Highly underwhelming. Never had such an experience with good audio gear. That’s my first grado purchase. Are they known for bad qc? I mean, that thing costs over 2k here in Germany…
Bought two pair in 2022 with same issue

Feb 21, 2023 at 2:52 PM Post #59,025 of 65,927
I bought an rs1x a couple of months ago and it was (and still is) perfect.
Which earpads (cushions) are you using? (I found my RS-1x joy with the F-cushions: TTVJ deluxe flats 🤷🏻‍♂️.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back