Grado Fan Club!
Dec 24, 2012 at 3:24 AM Post #5,821 of 66,204
Money is always an issue. :smile:  Here are my "Grado" sweet spots for price/performance:

SR-80i (low end)
SR-225i (middle of the road)
RS1i (best performer to my ears)

Replace the 80 with the 60 (and use the extra $20 to buy bowls), and we're in complete agreement! :D

Don't worry, you're among friends...friends who understand :)

Indeed.

I'm not surpised that you like your SR60s so much, and that they compare favorably with the pricier models, that's just another example of the law of diminishing returns.

Yesterday i listend to half of an LP with my GS1000s and switched to my SR80is when i flipped sides, and i have to say, the difference was not sublte, as it shouldn't be, considering the price difference.

That being said, i'm sure that if i would have listened to both sides with the SR80is, i'd have never had the feeling that i was missing anything.

Aye. When I had SR-60 and SR-225 together, I could switch them up freely, and while the SR-225 are better, the SR-60 are still very good. Same thing with SR-325 and GS-1000; I can get "into" any of them, but preference the RS-1 out of the pack the most. I'm not sure I'd agree with any of the "let's create a supposedly objective assessment by arbitrarily throwing numbers out" reasoning, but I can understand for those on a budget or wishing to save some coin, the less expensive Prestige series cans being an absolute steal. I still think there's something more special about the Reference cans, and I'm not letting the RS-1 go for any reason; they just align so well with my tastes and desires most of the time.

Dec 24, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #5,822 of 66,204
Quote:
Replace the 80 with the 60 (and use the extra $20 to buy bowls), and we're in complete agreement!
biggrin.gif

Indeed.

A bit too bass lite for me (SR-60), the extra $20 is well worth it!!!!!

Dec 24, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #5,824 of 66,204
Knowing I would use headphones all my life, I didn't look at their price tag: SR325is and RS1i... a bit curious about the PS-1000/GS-1000i but I'll probably never buy one... as they seem like a contradiction of all the Grado headphones that preceeded them.

Grados are all about being supra-aural and bringing the drivers as close possible to your ears. They're also small and lightweight so that you can head bang, lol, portable and easy to drive off anything (I heard that you need a better amplification for the PS-1000 to be really rewarding).

Beagle told me via private message that the RS-1 was designed to be the successor of the HP 1000 (after they sold the 1000th one in ~1994-95), which explain the similarity in their look.

Dec 24, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #5,825 of 66,204
Quote:
Knowing I would use headphones all my life, I didn't look at their price tag: SR325is and RS1i... a bit curious about the PS-1000/GS-1000i but I'll probably never buy one... as they seem like a contradiction of all the Grado headphones that preceeded them.

Grados are all about being supra-aural and bringing the drivers as close possible to your ears. They're also small and lightweight so that you can head bang, lol, portable and easy to drive off anything (I heard that you need a better amplification for the PS-1000 to be really rewarding).

Beagle told me via private message that the RS-1 was designed to be the successor of the HP 1000 (after they sold the 1000th one in ~1994-95), which explain the similarity in their look.

Altough i prefer the sound of my PS1000s trough my Musical Fidelity X-CAN V2, than straight from my Yamaha reciever, i have to say, the difference is subtle at best, Grado headphones are known to be unfussy when it comes to amplifiers and the PS1000s are i believe, no exeption.

I'd be very curious to hear Joe's toughts about the RS1s being the HP1000's sucessor.

Dec 24, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #5,826 of 66,204
Quote:

I'm really digging my sr325is. They have my favorite sound by a large margin (I don't have experience with the other Grados though). Unfortunately, the headband/fit doesn't allow me to physically headbang, but I feel like I want to which is a good thing. :)  These things do have plenty of bass and boom. Only a few select tracks indicate a deficiency in the sub-bass area. But again, neither do the HD650 or AKG K702. To bring out those head-rattling frequencies for those genres, a different type of headphone is needed. Anyway, these are my favs. They don't get the most play time though.

Dec 24, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #5,829 of 66,204
Altough i prefer the sound of my PS1000s trough my Musical Fidelity X-CAN V2, than straight from my Yamaha reciever, i have to say, the difference is subtle at best, Grado headphones are known to be unfussy when it comes to amplifiers and the PS1000s are i believe, no exeption.

I'd be very curious to hear Joe's toughts about the RS1s being the HP1000's sucessor.

+1.

It's posts like this that made me get a pair of SR-225i's. They are coming in in a few days and I can't wait! :tongue_smile:

You'll like them. :)

Dec 24, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #5,830 of 66,204
GF made a mistake and forgot to send my present to her office instead of home. UPS man knocks on our door and o look, it says Grado on the amazon box :D. Looks like I'll be joining the grado club

Dec 24, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #5,832 of 66,204
Xmas is tmrw, can't open it yet lol. It doesnt say on the box either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back