Grado Fan Club!
Dec 23, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #5,806 of 65,934
I've heard both the RS1i and the RS2i, although not at the same time, so take these comparisons with a grain of salt. My impressions were that the RS1i is better than the RS2i, although they really do sound very similar. No surprise there.

Specifically, I thought the RS1i's bass was slightly better extended and slightly more present. The RS2i's bass is a bit more neutral, so depending on your preference you might like either one better. I like the RS1i bass.

The mids seemed generally of the same take and quality on both.

The highs of the RS1i I thought were quite a bit smoother sounding than the RS2i's, so I take the RS1i here as well.

From memory, I think the soundstage of the RS1i has quite a bit more depth than the RS2i's. This is probably due to the cup length of the RS1i. So depending on your preference, again, you might like either one better. I like the RS1i.

Hard to say whether it's $200 better though. I love the RS1i, but I honestly don't think it's worth its price tag. If it was a $400 headphone, I'd own it. But when the SR60i w/ L-Cush pads achieves 80% the sound quality at 15% the price (my impressions from A/Bing), I can't justify the RS1i's at the moment. I think I will own them eventually though :wink:

Dec 23, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #5,808 of 65,934
Quote:
I've heard both the RS1i and the RS2i, although not at the same time, so take these comparisons with a grain of salt. My impressions were that the RS1i is better than the RS2i, although they really do sound very similar. No surprise there.

Specifically, I thought the RS1i's bass was slightly better extended and slightly more present. The RS2i's bass is a bit more neutral, so depending on your preference you might like either one better. I like the RS1i bass.

The mids seemed generally of the same take and quality on both.

The highs of the RS1i I thought were quite a bit smoother sounding than the RS2i's, so I take the RS1i here as well.

From memory, I think the soundstage of the RS1i has quite a bit more depth than the RS2i's. This is probably due to the cup length of the RS1i. So depending on your preference, again, you might like either one better. I like the RS1i.

Hard to say whether it's $200 better though. I love the RS1i, but I honestly don't think it's worth its price tag. If it was a $400 headphone, I'd own it. But when the SR60i w/ L-Cush pads achieves 80% the sound quality at 15% the price (my impressions from A/Bing), I can't justify the RS1i's at the moment. I think I will own them eventually though :wink:

I find this percent very,very, interesting at 15% for the SR60i's compared to the RS1i's, and sound quality is 80%. It's got me real curious. Really makes me wonder at that price point are the RSi's really worth it?

Dec 23, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #5,809 of 65,934
Quote:
I find this percent very,very, interesting at 15% for the SR60i's compared to the RS1i's, and sound quality is 80%. It's got me real curious. Really makes me wonder at that price point are the RSi's really worth it?

If you're on a budget, I think the RS1i's are not worth it at $700. But my 80% might be someone else's 50%. It's just what I found, and I personally was shocked to find how well the SR60i stands up to the RS1i. I always expected to be let down whenever I switched from the RS1i to the SR60i, but I never was.

I'll also add, when I compared the SR60i, the SR225i, and the SR325is to the RS1i, I thought my particular SR60i sounded the most similar to the RS1i. So if you have an SR60i with L-Cush pads, you know what the RS1i sounds like. Just add bass, bass extension, and soundstage and you generally know what the RS1i will give you.

Many here might disagree with me on this though.

Dec 23, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #5,810 of 65,934
Quote:
If you're on a budget, I think the RS1i's are not worth it at $700. But my 80% might be someone else's 50%. It's just what I found, and I personally was shocked to find how well the SR60i stands up to the RS1i. I always expected to be let down whenever I switched from the RS1i to the SR60i, but I never was.

I'll also add, when I compared the SR60i, the SR225i, and the SR325is to the RS1i, I thought my particular SR60i sounded the most similar to the RS1i. So if you have an SR60i with L-Cush pads, you know what the RS1i sounds like. Just add bass, bass extension, and soundstage and you generally know what the RS1i will give you.

I am one. For my $, the RS1i is the best current production Grado out there. 
smile.gif

Dec 23, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #5,811 of 65,934
I used to own a pair of SR80i's and Wich in my opinion were amazing. So like most of us with almost anything it would be nice to upgrade within the same manufacturer because you simply think a more expensive model must sound so much better. When I purchased a pair of MS2i's from alessandro (knowing they were going to be a bit more laid back than the grado sig) price/performance ratio I was blown away with 80's. By all means they both have their own sound sig, and both sound great to my ears, but could not believe the performance of the 80's as compared to the MS2i's, (price/performance wise). So I understand what you are saying totally.

Dec 23, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #5,812 of 65,934
Quote:
I am one. For my $, the RS1i is the best current production Grado out there. 
smile.gif

Well I agree, the RS1i is the best Grado I've heard (I've heard every in-production Grado save the GS1000 and PS1000).

But for someone with a headphone inventory like yours, I can only assume money isn't so much an issue, in which case the RS1i is a great buy.

Dec 23, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #5,813 of 65,934
Quote:
Well I agree, the RS1i is the best Grado I've heard (I've heard every in-production Grado save the GS1000 and PS1000).

But for someone with a headphone inventory like yours, I can only assume money isn't so much an issue, in which case the RS1i is a great buy.

Money is always an issue. 
smile.gif
 Here are my "Grado" sweet spots for price/performance:

SR-80i (low end)
SR-225i (middle of the road)
RS1i (best performer to my ears)

Dec 23, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #5,814 of 65,934
Quote:

Isn't that what's always defined the Grado lineup?  The higher up you go, the better and moar bass.  Soundstage happens automatically because they take greater care with the metal screens as things get more expensive.
wink.gif

The problem is that I like the tonality/detail of the HF-1 better than the HF-2, but the HF-1 is still a bit deficient in bass.  For awhile after the HF-1 came out, people were comparing it very favorably to the RS-1, only cheaper.  Further complicating matters, I have a friend who has owned nothing but an RS-1 for years and designed/built countless amps through the years to service it.  Yet, he felt the HF-2 was better.

My problem is also that auditioning does no good for me at all.  I have to live with a pair of phones - probably for a month or more - trying all sorts of different music, different amps, and different sources before I can really determine my opinions on it.  (Unless of course, the headphone is bad to start with - then no question, it's rejected.)

Dec 23, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #5,815 of 65,934
Honestly all this talk just proves that Grado has been making some of the best darn headphones on the market. Been gifting SR60is and everyone I've given just LOVES them. to DEATH. So yeah, Long live Grado!

(this is not a paid sponsorship or endorsement from Grado, only a rabid Grado fanboy who's been listening to his PS1000 way too much.)

Dec 23, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #5,816 of 65,934
Quote:

(this is not a paid sponsorship or endorsement from Grado, only a rabid Grado fanboy who's been listening to his PS1000 way too much.)

Don't worry, you're among friends...friends who understand :)

Dec 23, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #5,817 of 65,934
Quote:
Honestly all this talk just proves that Grado has been making some of the best darn headphones on the market. Been gifting SR60is and everyone I've given just LOVES them. to DEATH. So yeah, Long live Grado!

As they should! I think the SR60i's are nothing short of awesome. I think adding L-Cush pads for $20 brings them to a level of fidelity not far away from the upper models, including the RS1i.

Alas, I so want to hear the PS1000's. At the same time, I'm afraid I won't like them, since I didn't like the PS500's so much.

Dec 23, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #5,818 of 65,934
Quote:
Money is always an issue. 
smile.gif
 Here are my "Grado" sweet spots for price/performance:

SR-80i (low end)
SR-225i (middle of the road)
RS1i (best performer to my ears)

I think SR80i is probably the sweet spot in terms of pure value. I chose the SR60i ultimately because it sounded slightly less aggressive than the SR80i and sounded a touch more mid-centric, which I liked. I usually recommend the SR80i to others though as people generally like a little more bass.

Dec 24, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #5,820 of 65,934
Quote:
As they should! I think the SR60i's are nothing short of awesome. I think adding L-Cush pads for $20 brings them to a level of fidelity not far away from the upper models, including the RS1i.

Alas, I so want to hear the PS1000's. At the same time, I'm afraid I won't like them, since I didn't like the PS500's so much.

I'm not surpised that you like your SR60s so much, and that they compare favorably with the pricier models, that's just another example of the law of diminishing returns.

Yesterday i listend to half of an LP with my GS1000s and switched to my SR80is when i flipped sides, and i have to say, the difference was not sublte, as it shouldn't be, considering the price difference.

That being said, i'm sure that if i would have listened to both sides with the SR80is, i'd have never had the feeling that i was missing anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back