Grado Fan Club!
Oct 17, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #57,001 of 65,797
1) I like the Shipibo pads on my RS1x for the same reason. Switching to fully over the ear pads helps to seal in those deep bass juices and tames the highs a bit. For most Grado models this is an appropriate adjustment.

2) Pad swapping is a fundamental part of the Grado experience. Tally up what % of the posts on here are about pads. Some folks are going to tell you that you're "killing the Grado sound!!!!" And some folks (like me) are going to agree with your preferences.

This was a great post. If I could give it more than a "like", I would.

3) Why Grado does what it does is one of those mysteries of the universe that we may never know . . . like what happens after we die or why people listen to Nickelback. They sell tens of thousands of headphones every year and keep us talking about them 24-7 so they're onto something.

4) I dont think you're going to notice much difference with any of the Prestige Series models, at least I dont. But they're cheap enough . . . so why not collect them all! 😁

Oct 17, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #57,003 of 65,797
Why Grado does what it does is one of those mysteries of the universe that we may never know . . . like what happens after we die or why people listen to Nickelback.
LOVE it!!! :laughing:

Oct 17, 2022 at 12:40 PM Post #57,004 of 65,797
I own and have owned a few grado, I own 80x and 325x ... I think out of the box the 80x were at times a bit piercing but either burn in or brain burn in has settled them , I think there fantastic cans for the price as anyone who knows me here know I have stated a few times....
Great cans and so are 325x
I wasn't impressed with Geekria pads. But the $2.99 knockoff L-cush from Ali works well for me.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832322105702.html

If that link doesn't go through, it's the

XRHYY Replacement Grado Headphone L Cushion. Bonus points if you can pronounce XRHYY in the original Klingon.

I have no idea why Grado reverted to flat pads when a few millimeters of foam vastly improves the sound.

BTW, to me there is a huge leap from the SR60 and SR80 to the SR125 (more spaciousness), and then another significant upgrade with the SR325 (more richness).

Oct 17, 2022 at 1:11 PM Post #57,005 of 65,797
I wasn't impressed with Geekria pads. But the $2.99 knockoff L-cush from Ali works well for me.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832322105702.html

If that link doesn't go through, it's the

XRHYY Replacement Grado Headphone L Cushion. Bonus points if you can pronounce XRHYY in the original Klingon.

I have no idea why Grado reverted to flat pads when a few millimeters of foam vastly improves the sound.

BTW, to me there is a huge leap from the SR60 and SR80 to the SR125 (more spaciousness), and then another significant upgrade with the SR325 (more richness).
I just ordered... I'll try them out fir the stabe

Oct 18, 2022 at 6:38 AM Post #57,006 of 65,797
I'm looking for a closed back headphone, and yes, apart from one specific model a couple of years ago, there's not much to be found in the Grado line-up. Still, when I was in the market for a headphone many years ago (8 or so?), I tried a couple different brands and Grado was by far the best sounding to my ears. I think it was a 325something, but really can't remember. But I do remember that I liked Grado the most and also remeber I compared with a AudioQuest Nighthawk, which was sounding bass heavy and dark.
In the end I bought a AKP 271MKii, which turned out to be quite uncomfortable. Haven't used it much, and sold it.

Anyway, two questions: did the Grado sound change (much) since 8 years with the newer models? Also, what closed back headphones do Grado lovers usually have (if any?). Don't say that special edition Grado's!
Hi , I did see you mention the Focal elegia further on , this is the one I would have recommended. Even better if at a good price. I have loads of Grado and wanted a closed back. So I picked up the Meze99 which are OK, bit on the bass , but very comfy. Then picked up new open box focal for £319. And after few weeks breaking them in , fit and sounds I'm impressed. Well worth hunting for.

Attachments

• 20221010_101233.jpg
    20221010_101233.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220803_125036.jpg
    20220803_125036.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Oct 18, 2022 at 11:17 AM Post #57,008 of 65,797
Is there any reason for me to spend $55 on the actual Grado G cushions when there are similar alternatives on Amazon for ~$20? I can't imagine there's anything that can be done to a piece of foam like that to warrant that hefty of a price tag.
I bought the cheap knock offs a few years ago at $10.00pr.
I bought the original G-Cush pads recently. About $90.00, landed, in Canada.
The G-Cush are super stiff around the top of the cone and on the back. I am hot and cold on the sound so far. I have been swapping headphones and pads.
They are very different from the cheapies I bought, which I never liked.

It is definitely a different pad. Is it great? Not sure yet.

Oct 18, 2022 at 11:23 AM Post #57,009 of 65,797
Is there any reason for me to spend $55 on the actual Grado G cushions when there are similar alternatives on Amazon for ~$20? I can't imagine there's anything that can be done to a piece of foam like that to warrant that hefty of a price tag.

The official G-pads use 3 different foam densities, while the third-party ones use a single foam density. They sound drastically different.

Oct 18, 2022 at 11:25 AM Post #57,010 of 65,797
This is subjective IMO .... everyone's ears are different shapes and sizes so depending on your ear and the density of foam will determine position, and intern determine sound of which again will come down to tastes... personally for me on the whole I have found stock ok but not always ...i have so far preferred stock on my X series but not so much on my e .

Oct 18, 2022 at 11:29 AM Post #57,011 of 65,797

As others have said the Grado pad uses 3 different grades of foam.
The cheap ones don’t.
The picture below is of a cheap pad on the left and a pad from earphonediy labs.
This pad uses 3 different types of foam or stiffer foam .
You can buy 3 pairs for the price of OG Grado pads.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Oct 18, 2022 at 11:35 AM Post #57,013 of 65,797
I do want to add that to buy F pads in the UK is a rediculous amount of money and Grado and there UK distributor should be ashamed of themselves ...
The cost in the U.S is still high but not as much as in the UK .
I understand it's a niche product but this really is extortionate.
https://www.grado.co.uk/accessories/replacement-cushion-f.html

Oct 18, 2022 at 11:42 AM Post #57,014 of 65,797
I do want to add that to buy F pads in the UK is a rediculous amount of money and Grado and there UK distributor should be ashamed of themselves ...
The cost in the U.S is still high but not as much as in the UK .
I understand it's a niche product but this really is extortionate.
https://www.grado.co.uk/accessories/replacement-cushion-f.html

I would just buy Sennheiser HD414 pads and do the quarter mod.
You can even die them black if it matters to you.
Never bothered me having yellow pads.😀

Oct 18, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #57,015 of 65,797
I would just buy Sennheiser HD414 pads and do the quarter mod.
You can even die them black if it matters to you.
Never bothered me having yellow pads.😀
Or get someone in the U.S who's a trusted headfier friend to buy and ship which is exactly what I will be doing if ever needed ....your not milking this cow Grado :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::smiling_imp:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back