Grado Fan Club!
Oct 15, 2022 at 7:13 PM Post #56,971 of 65,681
I really enjoyed the PS2000e when I heard it at CanJam Socal 2019. A part of me wants to pull the trigger on one of these but hesistent as I want to see what the "x" version will be like.
See more regarding the PS2000e
in my response in agreeing with @jonathan c on the possibility of any new PS series.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2022 at 8:51 PM Post #56,972 of 65,681
I agree with @ESL-1: of the Grados that I have, the PS2000e is the best of the lot. Frequency range, tonality, soundstaging, dynamics are ‘tops’. The chrome-plated earcups seem heavy in my hand; but the deep headband distributes the headphone weight very effectively. The B-stock in ‘4 our ears’ is well worth getting.

Oct 15, 2022 at 8:56 PM Post #56,973 of 65,681
The imaging/staging on the GS3000x is extremely precise, any variation from dead centre on vocals you clearly pickup - varying from track to track when I was playing a compilation album lol. Thought I was going a little crazy until I tried a three track recording and vocals were consistently dead centre.

Oct 15, 2022 at 11:03 PM Post #56,975 of 65,681
Why not try your 225x with a dedicated DAP? You might be even happier before your next Grado adventure purchase!
I'm all ears, do you have a recommendation of something that pairs well with Grados ? My new phone lacks a headphone jack so I need to do something.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2022 at 11:46 PM Post #56,976 of 65,681
I'm all ears, do you have a recommendation of something that pairs well with Grados ? My new phone lacks a headphone jack so I need to do something.
If your budget can go up to $500, the FiiO M11S is highly recommended in a few places - including Head-Fi, under the auspices of @Ichos.

Oct 16, 2022 at 2:57 AM Post #56,977 of 65,681
Thanks y'all - checked out the prvious posts -- but why do we think Grado will not do an "x" version?
Nothing concrete but a feeling. Maybe the way the PS500e just sort of faded into gone and the way the PS2000e eventually faded away too. Hope I'm wrong......

Oct 16, 2022 at 10:23 AM Post #56,978 of 65,681
This should be quite a week for me; I have a PS500e and a GS3000e incoming. I am eager to hear how they sound compared to my RS1x...

Oct 16, 2022 at 11:08 AM Post #56,979 of 65,681
Combo of Grado Fan bOi + Schiit Volkvangr bOi -- lisenting to the Tone Poet Reissue of Coltrane's Blue Chain through my Schiit FV + sr325x with ZMF Auteur Lamb perf pads and it's quite magical. Horns are coming in nice and smooth - drums crisp. Very spacious - maybe it's the coffee + Sunday morning vibes influcing this... but my life is dope AF.

Oct 16, 2022 at 11:09 AM Post #56,980 of 65,681
Oct 16, 2022 at 2:07 PM Post #56,981 of 65,681
I'm looking for a closed back headphone, and yes, apart from one specific model a couple of years ago, there's not much to be found in the Grado line-up. Still, when I was in the market for a headphone many years ago (8 or so?), I tried a couple different brands and Grado was by far the best sounding to my ears. I think it was a 325something, but really can't remember. But I do remember that I liked Grado the most and also remeber I compared with a AudioQuest Nighthawk, which was sounding bass heavy and dark.
In the end I bought a AKP 271MKii, which turned out to be quite uncomfortable. Haven't used it much, and sold it.

Anyway, two questions: did the Grado sound change (much) since 8 years with the newer models? Also, what closed back headphones do Grado lovers usually have (if any?). Don't say that special edition Grado's!

Oct 16, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #56,982 of 65,681
I'm looking for a closed back headphone, and yes, apart from one specific model a couple of years ago, there's not much to be found in the Grado line-up. Still, when I was in the market for a headphone many years ago (8 or so?), I tried a couple different brands and Grado was by far the best sounding to my ears. I think it was a 325something, but really can't remember. But I do remember that I liked Grado the most and also remeber I compared with a AudioQuest Nighthawk, which was sounding bass heavy and dark.
In the end I bought a AKP 271MKii, which turned out to be quite uncomfortable. Haven't used it much, and sold it.

Anyway, two questions: did the Grado sound change (much) since 8 years with the newer models? Also, what closed back headphones do Grado lovers usually have (if any?). Don't say that special edition Grado's!
Hard to recommend a closed back that has a similar tuning to Grados - I think the uniqueness, airy and dynamic sound profile that Grado delivers is derived from their very open design - I don’t know this to be a fact or from technical knowledge - just my best educated guess.

I’m can share some closed-backs that I own and enjoy, but couldn’t say they sound like Grados. But here they are:

Beyer DT770 250ohm - might be the closest to Grados.. nice (at times sibilant) highs and decent soundstage but def more intimate than most Grados. Also - 250ohm version pairs best with an OTL.

Campfire Cascade - somewhat bass cannons - but was surprised by the imaging and sound stage. Would say they are anything like Grados. Very “smiley” tuning.

ZMF Eikon - more mid/neutral focused versus Grados. Also - very amp dependent. Tube pairing is best to my ears - also makes sense due to the drivers 300ohm design.

Not sure if this is helpful…. Also, I think it depends on which Grados you’re referring to. This are general comparisons to the overall Grado house sound - but to me, the OG tuning versus the recent x tuning is very different. I feel the new X tuning is warmer, better bass response, and a bit less airy and more intimate. OG tuning is more my jam - especially with the sr325s I have. Excited to compare my RS-2 buttons versus the e version I have.

Oct 16, 2022 at 2:50 PM Post #56,983 of 65,681

Grados are unique and perhaps a closed back headphone is an opportunity to have a complimentary sound.

From my collection, I find the Drop Mr. Speakers Aeon Closed to be great goto after listening to my Grados. They are tunable as well, so it can be adjusted to your tastes. The only caveat is they do require much more power than Grados and as a result they need an desktop amp to sound their best.

Oct 16, 2022 at 3:13 PM Post #56,985 of 65,681
I have a 325e and am delighted with it, does it sound fuller and fuller attached directly to my dap ibasso dx220 instead of my desktop gustard dac and burson has 160, grado sounds bad with external amps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back