Grado Fan Club!
Oct 16, 2022 at 3:46 PM Post #56,986 of 65,687
Got ya - saw this on usaudiomart last night: https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649904375-grado-professional-ps-2000e/
tempting ... but damn... I gotta save for Xmas shopping.
I certainly do not want to be a bad influence, the phones look to be in very good shape, price fair to slightly high.

For anyone interested in this one for sale or currently owns an original black chrome PS2000e Formula F11 topcoat product for cars among many other uses is what you want to use to keep them gleaming and quickly takes care of what sometimes appears as oxidation on the black chrome finish. This was not an issue with the standard chrome that was previously used on the PS1000e. Simple solution especially handy to keep this high end performer looking the part. Any questions just PM me.

Here again is the photo of my PS2000e showing the Formula F11. They sell kits of it with great soft cloths and a lifetime supply. Great for lens, plastic, anodized metal, painted metal, etc.

Attachments

• GRADO PS2000E.jpg
    GRADO PS2000E.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 16, 2022 at 3:54 PM Post #56,987 of 65,687
Grados are unique and perhaps a closed back headphone is an opportunity to have a complimentary sound.

From my collection, I find the Drop Mr. Speakers Aeon Closed to be great goto after listening to my Grados. They are tunable as well, so it can be adjusted to your tastes. The only caveat is they do require much more power than Grados and as a result they need an desktop amp to sound their best.
The earlier Mr. Speakers TOTL Alpha Prime will work well in this capacity and it usually is in the range of $500 to a bit more second hand. Retail in their day was $1,000. I love the look and the finish and they really sound quite open for a closed back. They also have an optional upgrade cable (VIVO) that really works well on it. I have that cable but since getting a higher performing WireWorld cable I will be eventually look to sell the Mr. Speaker's VIVO upgrade cable I have. It fits a number of Dan Clark models, both current and older and really makes a nice sonic improvement.

Attachments

• Alpha Prime.jpg
    Alpha Prime.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 16, 2022 at 4:20 PM Post #56,988 of 65,687
That’s helpful, thanks! Will be auditioning some new Grady’s as well, as complementary to a closed back.
On my desk, I use the Grado SR325X most often with solid state and my GS1000 with tubes.

Oct 16, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #56,989 of 65,687
I have a 325e and am delighted with it, does it sound fuller and fuller attached directly to my dap ibasso dx220 instead of my desktop gustard dac and burson has 160, grado sounds bad with external amps?
Grado sounds great with external amps!

Typically more detailed, better transients, and more control and body to bass.

The experience of others may vary.

Oct 16, 2022 at 4:34 PM Post #56,990 of 65,687
The earlier Mr. Speakers TOTL Alpha Prime will work well in this capacity and it usually is in the range of $500 to a bit more second hand. I love the look and the finish and they really sound quite open for a closed back. They also have an upgrade cable that really works well on it. I have that but since getting a higher performing WireWorld cable I will be eventually selling the Mr. Speaker's VIVO upgrade cable I have that fits a number of Dan Clark models and really makes a difference,
I love this can - was my office can for about 1.5 years. Loved it.

Oct 16, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #56,991 of 65,687
I'm looking for a closed back headphone, and yes, apart from one specific model a couple of years ago, there's not much to be found in the Grado line-up. Still, when I was in the market for a headphone many years ago (8 or so?), I tried a couple different brands and Grado was by far the best sounding to my ears. I think it was a 325something, but really can't remember. But I do remember that I liked Grado the most and also remeber I compared with a AudioQuest Nighthawk, which was sounding bass heavy and dark.
In the end I bought a AKP 271MKii, which turned out to be quite uncomfortable. Haven't used it much, and sold it.

Anyway, two questions: did the Grado sound change (much) since 8 years with the newer models? Also, what closed back headphones do Grado lovers usually have (if any?). Don't say that special edition Grado's!
Forgot to mention...

An overlooked easy to drive vivid closed back is the Creative "live".

It is also available as the EMU walnut on Drop.

Edit: Many reviews suggest the original live is not only less expensive, but better sounding too.

Don't let the inexpensive price fool you. Easy to drive even from a phone and nice clear sound.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2022 at 5:00 PM Post #56,993 of 65,687
what amps for 325e?
An easy recommendation is the Schiit Asgard 3 as it never let's me down, but I have not listened the the 325e with tubes.

I last listened to the SR325e with a JDS element in a store and I didn't like them as much as the SR225e

Oct 16, 2022 at 7:05 PM Post #56,994 of 65,687
I'm looking for a closed back headphone, and yes, apart from one specific model a couple of years ago, there's not much to be found in the Grado line-up. Still, when I was in the market for a headphone many years ago (8 or so?), I tried a couple different brands and Grado was by far the best sounding to my ears. I think it was a 325something, but really can't remember. But I do remember that I liked Grado the most and also remeber I compared with a AudioQuest Nighthawk, which was sounding bass heavy and dark.
In the end I bought a AKP 271MKii, which turned out to be quite uncomfortable. Haven't used it much, and sold it.

Anyway, two questions: did the Grado sound change (much) since 8 years with the newer models? Also, what closed back headphones do Grado lovers usually have (if any?). Don't say that special edition Grado's!
I recently sold a set of head of headphones that I actually described as having a Grado type sound. They were made by Kennerton and sold through Underwood HiFi as the LSA HP-2's. Very good at mids and above with great separation. A Very nice headphone, but not what I was looking for in a closed back.
But if you want a closed back Grado, I think they come pretty close. They also share a lack of big bass, like a Grado. :relaxed:

Oct 16, 2022 at 7:48 PM Post #56,995 of 65,687
1) Slightly but not substantially
2) I like the Final Audio Sonorous II or VI (I have both) as a somewhat Grado-y closed back

Oct 16, 2022 at 9:21 PM Post #56,996 of 65,687
An easy recommendation is the Schiit Asgard 3 as it never let's me down, but I have not listened the the 325e with tubes.

I last listened to the SR325e with a JDS element in a store and I didn't like them as much as the SR225e
A nice SS like the Asgard is a great pairing for the sr325.

I’ve paired my sr325 with my Wa6 and Schiit Volkvangr which has been really nice as well.
I recently sold a set of head of headphones that I actually described as having a Grado type sound. They were made by Kennerton and sold through Underwood HiFi as the LSA HP-2's. Very good at mids and above with great separation. A Very nice headphone, but not what I was looking for in a closed back.
But if you want a closed back Grado, I think they come pretty close. They also share a lack of big bass, like a Grado. :relaxed:
”They also share a lack of big bass, like a Grado.”

Dayumnnnnnn!!! But true. I think the X’s have improved bass from the previous versions.

Oct 17, 2022 at 2:51 AM Post #56,997 of 65,687
Great to see so many reactions! I'll try to audition 5 or so. I have a Flux Labs FA-22 incoming, let's see how that works out. When I ordered this unit, I thought I would end up with a Focal Elegia, purely based on user reviews.
Usually I find headphones having too much bass. My speakers are Wilson Benesch Vector's, which aren't exactly bass heavy either.

Also, comfort is very important, I don't like something pressing on my head. And I always buy new stuff. But again, some many great suggestions, thanks again!

Oct 17, 2022 at 3:38 AM Post #56,998 of 65,687
Ok - here I am one more time, singing the same song... but with a new verse... :D

Have posted in the past that the sr325x are the first Grados that I liked... mentioned that everything I tried below those in the Prestige line, just could not get into them...
I am still here because, I happened to like the 325x A LOT. In order to try the new X series drivers, along with the 325x also ordered the sr80x, with the same results as before... fine for some music, but either extremely piercing that I could not stand them with some music or a distinct lack of bass with other music... they went back into the box and was happy that at least had a success with the 325x...

On a whim, ordered replacement pads for the sr80x - Geekria Comfort pads and installed them with the big opening outwards - that is most of the driver uncovered...

Hrrm - weird... I don't hate them now! Not as nice as the 325x, but not piercing anymore... and I think I hear more bass... basically, don't hate them now; trying them as my everyday "listen while working" cans. Given that sound is highly subjective, and the most important part of a scientific study is the sample size... I want to ask the general Grado group.

1.- Has anyone gone thru the same experience? Not sure if the same thing happens with ALL pads (Grado brand and otherwise) that uncover the whole driver... has anyone else gone from agreeing with me (piercing, lack of bass) on the shortcomings to agreeing with me on the effect of the open pads (actually kind of nice)?
2.- If so, is this something most sr80x owners do?
3.- If so, then why would Grado ship those with such unflattering pads?
4.- Could I expect the same with the sr125x or sr225x - upgradeatis! :D My upgradeatis sick self wants something further from the entry level! :D hehe

Thanks for your time - do apologize if this doesn't make sense

v

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2022 at 6:50 AM Post #56,999 of 65,687
Ok - here I am one more time, singing the same song... but with a new verse... :D

Have posted in the past that the sr325x are the first Grados that I liked... mentioned that everything I tried below those in the Prestige line, just could not get into them...
I am still here because, I happened to like the 325x A LOT. In order to try the new X series drivers, along with the 325x also ordered the sr80x, with the same results as before... fine for some music, but either extremely piercing that I could not stand them with some music or a distinct lack of bass with other music... they went back into the box and was happy that at least had a success with the 325x...

On a whim, ordered replacement pads for the sr80x - Geekria Comfort pads and installed them with the big opening outwards - that is most of the driver uncovered...

Hrrm - weird... I don't hate them now! Not as nice as the 325x, but not piercing anymore... and I think I hear more bass... basically, don't hate them now; trying them as my everyday "listen while working" cans. Given that sound is highly subjective, and the most important part of a scientific study is the sample size... I want to ask the general Grado group.

1.- Has anyone gone thru the same experience? Not sure if the same thing happens with ALL pads (Grado brand and otherwise) that uncover the whole driver... has anyone else gone from agreeing with me (piercing, lack of bass) on the shortcomings to agreeing with me on the effect of the open pads (actually kind of nice)?
4.- Could I expect the same with the sr125x or sr225x - upgradeatis! :D My upgradeatis sick self wants something further from the entry level! :D hehe

v
1) I like the Shipibo pads on my RS1x for the same reason. Switching to fully over the ear pads helps to seal in those deep bass juices and tames the highs a bit. For most Grado models this is an appropriate adjustment.

2) Pad swapping is a fundamental part of the Grado experience. Tally up what % of the posts on here are about pads. Some folks are going to tell you that you're "killing the Grado sound!!!!" And some folks (like me) are going to agree with your preferences.

3) Why Grado does what it does is one of those mysteries of the universe that we may never know . . . like what happens after we die or why people listen to Nickelback. They sell tens of thousands of headphones every year and keep us talking about them 24-7 so they're onto something.

4) I dont think you're going to notice much difference with any of the Prestige Series models, at least I dont. But they're cheap enough . . . so why not collect them all! 😁

Oct 17, 2022 at 11:21 AM Post #57,000 of 65,687

v
I own and have owned a few grado, I own 80x and 325x ... I think out of the box the 80x were at times a bit piercing but either burn in or brain burn in has settled them , I think there fantastic cans for the price as anyone who knows me here know I have stated a few times....
Great cans and so are 325x

Users who are viewing this thread

Back