Grado Fan Club!
Feb 21, 2022 at 9:03 AM Post #51,226 of 65,621
Yep, beer is the best I have ever tasted. Unfortunately, the pub and small brewery business took a horrible beating during covid. They actually had to throw out hundreds of thousands of liters of beer since they weren't allowed to give it away and unpasturized, unfiltered beer does not keep very long.
😟

Feb 21, 2022 at 10:03 AM Post #51,227 of 65,621
Feb 21, 2022 at 10:12 AM Post #51,228 of 65,621
New Grado-head!

Over the course of the last two years I have been through Koss Porta Pro, AKG K712 Pro/K371, Sennheiser HD600/HD650/HD6XX, Beyerdynamic DT900 Pro X, Hifiman HE-500/Sundara, Focal Clear, Meze 99 Classics and Denon D5200 as well as an equivalent number of IEMs, DACs and amps. About a month ago I had a chance to try the SR80e at a bargain price. At first I had to adjust to it's forward, romantic tuning. My daily drivers were the HD600 and the Hifiman Sundara. But gradually I adjusted to its idiosyncracies and it continued to grow on me. So much so that I went on and bought the SR80X a week or so later. Another two weeks passed and now I am sitting in the couch listening to The War on Drugs on the SR80X via the Chord Mojo 2. The HD600 and the Sundara have both been sold. I passed the SR80e on to my friend.

The way music is presented on the SR80X is exactly as I expect it to sound. Is it 'perfect'? No. By no means. Is it romantic, charming, just flowing, organic? Hell, yes! The SR80X is just so open, natural and balanced to my ears. Music has so much texture. I can 'feel' the music more than just hearing it. The only thing that is out of balance is the way SR80X's abilities definitely exceeds its ridiculously minuscule price. This is one helluva bargain!

Now, I am wondering where to go next. Is it the Hemp, 500e, RS2X or something else? I am listening to a lot of male vocals, rock, indie, alternative, the occasional ambient, minimal techno, jazz.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2022 at 10:23 AM Post #51,229 of 65,621
New Grado-head!

Over the course of the last two years I have been through Koss Porta Pro, AKG K712 Pro/K371, Sennheiser HD600/HD650/HD6XX, Beyerdynamic DT900 Pro X, Hifiman HE-500/Sundara, Focal Clear, Meze 99 Classics and Denon D5200 as well as an equivalent number of IEMs, DACs and amps. About a month ago I had a chance to try the SR80e at a bargain price. At first I had to adjust to it's forward, romantic tuning. My daily drivers were the HD600 and the Hifiman Sundara. But gradually I adjusted to its idiosyncracies and it continued to grow on me. So much so that I went on and bought the SR80X a week or so later. Another two weeks passed and now I am sitting in the couch listening to The War on Drugs on the SR80X via the Chord Mojo 2. The HD600 and the Sundara have both been sold. I passed the SR80e on to my friend.

The way music is presented on the SR80X is exactly as I expect it to sound. Is it 'perfect'? No. By no means. Is it romantic, charming, just flowing, organic? Hell, yes! The SR80X is just so open, natural and balanced to my ears. Music has so much texture. I can 'feel' the music more than just hearing it. The only thing that is out of balance is the way SR80X's abilities definitely exceeds its ridiculously minuscule price. This is one helluva bargain!

Now, I am wondering where to go next. Is it the Hemp, 500e, RS2X or something else? I am listening to a lot of male vocals, rock, indie, alternative, the occasional ambient, minimal techno, jazz.
325x .
Possible to buy from amazon.com at an affordable price

Feb 21, 2022 at 10:57 AM Post #51,230 of 65,621
while I havent heard every model, but the RS2x are way better then the lower new X models. no comparison

Im not biased btw :wink:

From looking at the history of Grado, the RS2 version seem to be a constant safe choice no matter the era and clearly on the X version, the RS2x are more versatile while the RS1x are the technical champs but with some clear trade-offs vs RS2x.

Personally, im wondering how the RS1x would be with bass boost since everyone seem to think RS1x is slightly better in term of detail retrieval vs RS2x.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #51,231 of 65,621
while I havent heard every model, but the RS2x are way better then the lower new X models. no comparison

Im not biased btw :wink:

From looking at the history of Grado, the RS2 version seem to be a constant safe choice no matter the era and clearly on the X version, the RS2x are more versatile while the RS1x are the technical champs but with some clear trade-offs vs RS2x.

Personally, im wondering how the RS1x would be with bass boost since everyone seem to think RS1x is slightly better in term of detail retrieval vs RS2x.
What are the "clear-tradeoffs"? I love my RS1x, and my GH3 is a close second, followed by 325 and so on.

Feb 21, 2022 at 12:20 PM Post #51,232 of 65,621
Feb 21, 2022 at 12:32 PM Post #51,233 of 65,621
Feb 21, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #51,235 of 65,621
interesting 325x is my least favorite
That's the rub... One man's' treasure = another's perplexity

I like the SR325x, and it's one of my favorites

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2022 at 7:44 PM Post #51,237 of 65,621
PS500e owner here . Hows the bass impact and quantity of the RS1x compared to the PS500e , and what makes the PS500e is better for rock than the RS1x .
Not necessarily rock, I had said the PS500e might be a better fit for someone who is into heavy, Heavy Metal. With that material the PS500e might seem to have a bit more slam to the sound. It is still a very good phone but I feel if I were to keep only one of the two (I do have both) the keeper for me would be the RS1x for it's refinement, transparency and detailing of the low end. It also in my opinion will scale better but would be a matter of specific cases. I have been enjoying the RS1x with all types of music including plenty of rock.

Feb 21, 2022 at 9:07 PM Post #51,238 of 65,621
Not necessarily rock, I had said the PS500e might be a better fit for someone who is into heavy, Heavy Metal. With that material the PS500e might seem to have a bit more slam to the sound. It is still a very good phone but I feel if I were to keep only one of the two (I do have both) the keeper for me would be the RS1x for it's refinement, transparency and detailing of the low end. It also in my opinion will scale better but would be a matter of specific cases. I have been enjoying the RS1x with all types of music including plenty of rock.
Hi there, thanks for this insight, even though you were replying to someone else. For anyone who had the RS1e and ultimately didnt like it, there can never be too much info posted about the RS1x. I felt the rs1e had some serious problems with its bass and treble, plus there was some other kinda weird peak. However, its sense of space was excellent, so there's potential there. I have and love the GH2 but have also owned (and really enjoyed) the RS2e and SR225e. The GS1000e and GS1000i both have merit, but just werent versatile enough IMO.

Im really hoping the RS1x is redemption time for this headphone! If it has that sense of space PLUS just a hint of sub-bass information and treble that isn't rolled off, that would be perfect. I'm very curious and will continue to mostly lurk to read everyone's posts.

Feb 21, 2022 at 9:21 PM Post #51,239 of 65,621
Hi there, thanks for this insight, even though you were replying to someone else. For anyone who had the RS1e and ultimately didnt like it, there can never be too much info posted about the RS1x. I felt the rs1e had some serious problems with its bass and treble, plus there was some other kinda weird peak. However, its sense of space was excellent, so there's potential there. I have and love the GH2 but have also owned (and really enjoyed) the RS2e and SR225e. The GS1000e and GS1000i both have merit, but just werent versatile enough IMO.

Im really hoping the RS1x is redemption time for this headphone! If it has that sense of space PLUS just a hint of sub-bass information and treble that isn't rolled off, that would be perfect. I'm very curious and will continue to mostly lurk to read everyone's posts.
Keep reading…😀…(from a pleased owner)…

Feb 21, 2022 at 9:39 PM Post #51,240 of 65,621
New Grado-head!

Welcome! I would say definitely a wood cup version as your next. Enjoy the 80x!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back