Grado Fan Club!
Feb 22, 2022 at 8:50 PM Post #51,256 of 65,522
Curious why a company such as ifi would make it then? I have one and use it with a few earbuds and it works well for them, was offering as a suggestion. An amp is what you need then, Earmen TRamp is good, or a different DAP. 4pin XLR plus an adapter I don't like for portable myself. I have the Hemp XLR and with the adapter included, the big XLR weight in the middle is like you are constantly setting up for a round of jump rope. We have cats and yes, forget about it :)
oh i just spoke to my friend. he explains it works because 4.4mm has 5poles and they short L-, R- and GND to 3.5mm gnd..

Feb 22, 2022 at 8:56 PM Post #51,258 of 65,522
Time for pad testing, just got my ZMF Grado Earpad Adapters.

I am trying out some pads that came with my Music Master woodie closed planar cans.

Initial thoughts, much more comfortable than the G-pads, sound is a skosh more muffled, not bad for first non-Grado pad.

Pads are a bit too big for the adapters.

gr.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2022 at 3:18 AM Post #51,259 of 65,522
I'm circling back, now that I've had the RS1x's for a few weeks now. I'm still feeling them out, but so far they're my favorite Grados, after comparing them to my 125e's and RS2e's. Other comparisons I made were with Audeze LCD2, etymotic ER 4SR/4XR and Sennheiser HD600's.

Thanks to everyone here for the advice on break in. Over time the bass did improve a lot and the upper mid peakiness chilled out, too. Bass seems to be a topic with these headphones - two things I noticed: These cans go deep, but there isn't a lot of what's there. On one hand, lower frequencies are nicely detailed without any bloat or overhang. I don't mind instruments like bass drums and acoustic bass on the lean side, but it's when something is missing altogether that I find disappointing. There are a couple instances where there were instruments playing that I've heard on other systems, but were not there or unnaturally low, with the RS1x.

IMO the RS1x sounds like a hi-end medium sized studio monitor in a well damped control room. In the end, they are a little bass shy, and there's still a little peak around 2k, which can get slightly shrill in some instances with vocals, piano or guitars. All headphones/systems have their shortcomings, so other than those two things, these are stellar cans that can really dig deep into a mix.
I complained here before christmas,
A recording that sounds bad(lack bass)
Yesterday it suddenly sounds good..
(rs2e bought on blackweek)

Feb 23, 2022 at 5:00 AM Post #51,260 of 65,522
Feb 23, 2022 at 7:49 AM Post #51,262 of 65,522
plugged my sr80e`s into my laptop. sounds pretty good. better than expected.
Then I tried my apple dongle=
Not boosted bass and better details.
Miss my Schiit Hel2.
But the little Schiit Fulla should work okey with Grados.Anyone tried the new Fulla E?
Fulla and SR80 should be a cheap ticket into the Grado world

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2022 at 11:08 AM Post #51,263 of 65,522
4oe:

Closeout

Enjoy significant savings on brand new, factory fresh headphones with full USA warranties. Last year Grado introduced the Prestige X Series headphones but we still have some discontinued Prestige E Series models in inventory, and they sound as great as they ever did.

We have a few pairs of RS1e and RS2eheadphones in full Mahogany. You can save up to $105 over the newer Reference X Series models.

These PS2000e headphones are discontinued and not being replaced. If you want Grado's legendary black-chrome Professional Series headphone this is really your last chance. Slight cosmetic imperfections that don't affect the sound mean you'll save $700.

Feb 23, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #51,264 of 65,522
4oe:

Closeout

Enjoy significant savings on brand new, factory fresh headphones with full USA warranties. Last year Grado introduced the Prestige X Series headphones but we still have some discontinued Prestige E Series models in inventory, and they sound as great as they ever did.

We have a few pairs of RS1e and RS2eheadphones in full Mahogany. You can save up to $105 over the newer Reference X Series models.

These PS2000e headphones are discontinued and not being replaced. If you want Grado's legendary black-chrome Professional Series headphone this is really your last chance. Slight cosmetic imperfections that don't affect the sound mean you'll save $700.
wait what? the site is closing down?

Feb 23, 2022 at 2:53 PM Post #51,268 of 65,522
• The RS-1x continues to be among the chosen in my headphone rotation. I did not expect this when I first bought the RS-1x.
• Perseverance, hope, extensive break-in with music (frequent CD replay overnight), and using the ‘F’ and ‘G’ cushions have brought the RS-1x to the awarded listening podium.
• The RS-1x, for me, does ‘scale up’ nicely as the associated gear quality rises. It does a fantastic job with the Gilmore Lite II / Golden Reference PSU…becomes transcendent with the Woo WA6SE.
• Perhaps I so appreciate/enjoy the RS-1x because the gratification has not been instant.
Well stated as always Jonathan.

Getting all set for CanJam. If any of you will be going I hope to meet you. I should be in the Eksonic set up in the Majestic suite most of Saturday, less on Sunday. I will have a name tag.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2022 at 2:56 PM Post #51,269 of 65,522
Sound quality and value ratings are very high in this review.
I complained here before christmas,
A recording that sounds bad(lack bass)
Yesterday it suddenly sounds good..
(rs2e bought on blackweek)
I recomend you to buy aftermarket L-pads (not original). I bought them from China, they provide more bass, because they are thicker. But these pads don’t destroy RS2e sound signature, for example G-pads has a lot of base, but mids disappear...
L-pads original on the left, aftermarket on the right.

Attachments

• IMG_3692.jpg
    IMG_3692.jpg
    587.2 KB · Views: 0
Feb 23, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #51,270 of 65,522
Sound quality and value ratings are very high in this review.

I recomend you to buy aftermarket L-pads (not original). I bought them from China, they provide more bass, because they are thicker. But these pads don’t destroy RS2e sound signature, for example G-pads has a lot of base, but mids disappear...
L-pads original on the left, aftermarket on the right.
Have some china pads on my 325.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back