Grado Fan Club!
Feb 21, 2022 at 9:49 PM Post #51,241 of 65,548
• The RS-1x continues to be among the chosen in my headphone rotation. I did not expect this when I first bought the RS-1x.
• Perseverance, hope, extensive break-in with music (frequent CD replay overnight), and using the ‘F’ and ‘G’ cushions have brought the RS-1x to the awarded listening podium.
• The RS-1x, for me, does ‘scale up’ nicely as the associated gear quality rises. It does a fantastic job with the Gilmore Lite II / Golden Reference PSU…becomes transcendent with the Woo WA6SE.
• Perhaps I so appreciate/enjoy the RS-1x because the gratification has not been instant.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2022 at 10:24 PM Post #51,242 of 65,548
Not necessarily rock, I had said the PS500e might be a better fit for someone who is into heavy, Heavy Metal. With that material the PS500e might seem to have a bit more slam to the sound. It is still a very good phone but I feel if I were to keep only one of the two (I do have both) the keeper for me would be the RS1x for it's refinement, transparency and detailing of the low end. It also in my opinion will scale better but would be a matter of specific cases. I have been enjoying the RS1x with all types of music including plenty of rock.
Good to hear that . RS1x has been in my radar for some time now and should complement my PS500e . I listen to a lot of genres so these 2 HP should have everything covered . But i have a feeling the PS500x / PS1000x is just around the corner :gs1000smile: . Might wait and see first .

Feb 21, 2022 at 11:58 PM Post #51,243 of 65,548
• The RS-1x continues to be among the chosen in my headphone rotation. I did not expect this when I first bought the RS-1x.
• Perseverance, hope, extensive break-in with music (frequent CD replay overnight), and using the ‘F’ and ‘G’ cushions have brought the RS-1x to the awarded listening podium.
• The RS-1x, for me, does ‘scale up’ nicely as the associated gear quality rises. It does a fantastic job with the Gilmore Lite II / Golden Reference PSU…becomes transcendent with the Woo WA6SE.
.6C198B5D-C8C5-497D-AEA1-088DF6FB703F.jpeg

Your evening ritual during power-up? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

"Arise RS-1x"

8c6f93c58f325734107c6bb25a36e16d.jpg

Feb 22, 2022 at 12:42 AM Post #51,244 of 65,548
• Perhaps I so appreciate/enjoy the RS-1x because the gratification has not been instant.6C198B5D-C8C5-497D-AEA1-088DF6FB703F.jpeg
Nice, thanks for the post! Thats definitely a nice endorsement, i know how that can go.

Feb 22, 2022 at 7:41 AM Post #51,246 of 65,548
It's a ten minute job and a good XLR plug costs 4 euros here, so I would say no. And I asked upthread, since I don't have any Grados, any the answer I got is that there is no reason to run balanced except if that is more convenient in your setup i.e. you want to use it with an amp that doesn't have an SE jack.

Feb 22, 2022 at 8:26 AM Post #51,247 of 65,548
is there any value in paying 190 for XLR termination(+the cost of a 4.4mm adapter, maybe?) for the RX series?
Buy a Good SE amp instead :)

Feb 22, 2022 at 11:33 AM Post #51,250 of 65,548
I would like to move around my house with my grado, but my dap’s 3.5mm is not as good as 4.4mm
Ifi xcan/xdsd?
Earmen tr-amp or eagle?
Khadas tea?
Ifi go blu?
Fiio btr5?

Feb 22, 2022 at 5:27 PM Post #51,252 of 65,548
I'm circling back, now that I've had the RS1x's for a few weeks now. I'm still feeling them out, but so far they're my favorite Grados, after comparing them to my 125e's and RS2e's. Other comparisons I made were with Audeze LCD2, etymotic ER 4SR/4XR and Sennheiser HD600's.

Thanks to everyone here for the advice on break in. Over time the bass did improve a lot and the upper mid peakiness chilled out, too. Bass seems to be a topic with these headphones - two things I noticed: These cans go deep, but there isn't a lot of what's there. On one hand, lower frequencies are nicely detailed without any bloat or overhang. I don't mind instruments like bass drums and acoustic bass on the lean side, but it's when something is missing altogether that I find disappointing. There are a couple instances where there were instruments playing that I've heard on other systems, but were not there or unnaturally low, with the RS1x.

IMO the RS1x sounds like a hi-end medium sized studio monitor in a well damped control room. In the end, they are a little bass shy, and there's still a little peak around 2k, which can get slightly shrill in some instances with vocals, piano or guitars. All headphones/systems have their shortcomings, so other than those two things, these are stellar cans that can really dig deep into a mix.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2022 at 5:32 PM Post #51,253 of 65,548
I would like to move around my house with my grado, but my dap’s 3.5mm is not as good as 4.4mm
What DAP do you have? Might worth getting one of these? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09HXWH2Y1/

Or as Stevko mentioned above.. a small amp in addition to your DAP might be the most cost effective instead of exchanging DAPs, if the above adapter doesn't do the trick.

Feb 22, 2022 at 7:00 PM Post #51,254 of 65,548
What DAP do you have? Might worth getting one of these? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09HXWH2Y1/

Or as Stevko mentioned above.. a small amp in addition to your DAP might be the most cost effective instead of exchanging DAPs, if the above adapter doesn't do the trick.
i dont think running unbalanced 3.5mm into 4.4 mm balanced is a good idea.. it works other way around but not this.. it would short the headphone.

i'm using sp2000t.

Feb 22, 2022 at 8:26 PM Post #51,255 of 65,548
i dont think running unbalanced 3.5mm into 4.4 mm balanced is a good idea.. it works other way around but not this.. it would short the headphone.

i'm using sp2000t.
Curious why a company such as ifi would make it then? I have one and use it with a few earbuds and it works well for them, was offering as a suggestion. An amp is what you need then, Earmen TRamp is good, or a different DAP. 4pin XLR plus an adapter I don't like for portable myself. I have the Hemp XLR and with the adapter included, the big XLR weight in the middle is like you are constantly setting up for a round of jump rope. We have cats and yes, forget about it :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back