Grado Fan Club!
Aug 17, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #48,391 of 65,990
Sorry if I've missed it, but I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on Sr60x Vs sr80x. It's been said on this thread that they sound identical. But I'm keen to hear your take, if that's ok?

Yes, they almost identical in my book. Slight different appear when compare side by side.

New to this thread (although I skimmed through the posts from the last 3 months or so)... I am looking for a good comparison of the X models (SR60x / SR80x / SR125x / SR225x / SR325x). Only comparison I could find was:

Which is a bit high-level (and does not include the 225 and 325 models).

In general, I prefer warmer, bassier and soother headphones. I know Grado is not well known for its bass, but I would still like to add 1 Grado to my collection. So, I will want one of the bassier Grados, while not being too sharp or treble emphasized.

Any pointers to a good comparison of the 4th gen X lineup is highly desired :)
Thanks!
225x and 325x will suit you more, as both of them produce thicker, harder bass impact, and smoother treble. Hint: Flat Pad.

325X is the better one here due to soundstage size, micro detail, speed, and harder impact.

Aug 17, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #48,392 of 65,990
Yes, they almost identical in my book. Slight different appear when compare side by side.

225x and 325x will suit you more, as both of them produce thicker, harder bass impact, and smoother treble. Hint: Flat Pad.

325X is the better one here due to soundstage size, micro detail, speed, and harder impact.
Thanks!

So I've found SR60e new (old stock) in the UK for £70 whilst SR60x is £110. I already own Hemps and am looking to choose between the 60x and 60e to complement (not replicate) the Hemps and even use on the go (I walk a lot).

Have you (or anyone here) heard both and can give a sound comparison between the two?

Also any thoughts on comfort will be helpful too. I prefer the look of the 60e, but how much more comfortable is the 60x, if at all?

I've ruled out the 80x now.

Aug 17, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #48,393 of 65,990
Switch the pads to Geekria L. If that doesn't work out for you, maybe find a SR225e (not x) which is still under your budget.

Much of the Grado X and Hemp hype are from people who weren't big fans of the prior Grado house sound, and it appears that the old sound is what you want.
Yes.225e is a great choise

Aug 17, 2021 at 6:12 PM Post #48,394 of 65,990
Don‘t have the V35 or 1770 here, but an old L5. Tested with DT1990pro (same driver specs): It reached unbearable volume. And of course the headphone revealed a horrible sound quality from the old, cheap Android crap.
Not exactly a Grado post… so: ...
OK, thx, probably a bad assumption on my part that high ohms means "hard to drive," but that is probably more about the Sensitivity level rather than ohms.

Currently waiting to hit the jackpot so I can try the Clear's -- no place I can go to try them, unfortunately.

Aug 17, 2021 at 6:32 PM Post #48,395 of 65,990
Purchased an original PS1000 a couple of days ago. Owned the PS1000 a few years ago and from memory it’s my favourite sounding Grado after the GS1000i. Looking forward to listening to it again especially w/ my SPL Phonitor 2 which I also purchased recently.

Aug 17, 2021 at 9:41 PM Post #48,396 of 65,990
It's silly season in the KDIE household... I've ordered the 60x... And...

I have the Hemps already and was using them with the Greekria G pads... I took a leap and bought the yaxi pads and the stupidly expensive official Grado G pads... (Geekria L pads in the pipeline too so I can get a full grado experience... I'm going full Grado, man... Don't ever go full Grado... Well actually, DO!).

Yaxis are close to stock only warmer in the vocals. Not bad but stock sounds better IMHO.

But the Geekria Vs Grado G pads. Pretty big difference! The Grado pads are far more comfortable due to the much deeper hole. They are 95% over-ear where as the Geekria pads are basically on-ear. For anyone whose ears stick out in any way like my right ear the Grado pads make a huge difference in terms of comfort. The Grado foam is also softer and the edging of the pads is more defined (maybe even or coated in some kind of plastic) compared to the Geekria. Then there's sound... Grado G pads on Hemps sound crisper in the highs and the soundstage seems more holographic to than with Geekria pads. The Geekrias make the Hemps warmer and more impactful in then bass. But the bass with the Grado pads is still very present, just less slam. For my taste (and comfort) the grado pads will now live on my hemps the may be too trebly for some but I'm glad I took the plunge.

That said... It's a stupid price (£60!). Geekria need to adjust their design or release another version shaped closer to the original if only for the comfort. I have little hope of grado reducing their price enough so a different hero needs to step up...

Meanwhile 60x are in transit.

EDIT: the sound with the grado G pads changes a lot depending on how the headphones are worn. Getting a seal (in my case, by wearing them more forward than usual closing the opening behind my ears) increases the bass.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2021 at 10:14 PM Post #48,397 of 65,990
OK, thx, probably a bad assumption on my part that high ohms means "hard to drive," but that is probably more about the Sensitivity level rather than ohms.

Currently waiting to hit the jackpot so I can try the Clear's -- no place I can go to try them, unfortunately.
Sensitivity determines how loud the headphone will sound at a particular power (usually stated as dB/mW).
Headphone impedance determines how much power the amplifier can supply. For example a Magni can supply 2.4 watts into a 32 ohm load, but only 0.4W into a 300 ohm load. Mobile phones are more limited in their power delivery. Higher impedance resists the flow of current, which makes the sound less lively and dynamic if there is insufficient power.

I have the DT 1990 Pro and GH4. My LG phone will drive both louder than I care to listen, but the sound through the DT 1990 is wimpy compared to the way it sounds with a proper headphone amp. The LG sounds very good with the Grado. It sounds better still when driven by a headphone amp, but there's not nearly as much difference as with the Beyer.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2021 at 11:26 PM Post #48,398 of 65,990
Just wanna say that Beastie Boys on the Hemps is a whole nother experience. They were absolutely made for this kind of music! For those who still appreciate the Boys - check it out. I grew up listening to them and it's been SO many years...they're still awesome.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2021 at 6:53 AM Post #48,399 of 65,990
Sensitivity determines how loud the headphone will sound at a particular power (usually stated as dB/mW).
Headphone impedance determines how much power the amplifier can supply. For example a Magni can supply 2.4 watts into a 32 ohm load, but only 0.4W into a 300 ohm load.
Higher impedance resists the flow of current, which makes the sound less lively and dynamic if there is insufficient power.

Mobile phones are more limited in their power delivery. I have the DT 1990 Pro and GH4. My LG phone will drive both louder than I care to listen, but the sound through the DT 1990 is wimpy compared to the way it sounds with a proper headphone amp. The LG sounds very good with the Grado. It sounds better still when driven by a headphone amp, but there's not nearly as much difference as with the Beyer.
That's a good succint explanation of sensitivity vs resistance.

Are the two factors correlated at all ?

Aug 18, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #48,400 of 65,990
re gs1000e ear pads. Yes, they tend to get old fast, but are easy to replace. Can even accommodate alternative sizes and shapes, from Grado, that make wearing them kinder. I keep dust covers on my cans too. It tends to make the pads last longer. I love the way my favorite guitar, sax and trumpet solos sound on the Grados.

Aug 18, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #48,401 of 65,990
That's a good succint explanation of sensitivity vs resistance.

Are the two factors correlated at all ?
Yes, explained by Ohm's Law. To determine how loud a headphone will go when driven by a particular amp, you would find the power spec for the amp at that impedance. According to Ohm's Law, each increase of 3dB requires double the power. The Magni 3+ specs show "Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 2.4W RMS per channel".

For the Grado GH4 (Impedance = 32Ω, SPL/mW = 99.8dB, rounded off to 100dB for simplicity) and Magni 3+
1mW = 100dB
2mW = 103dB
4mW = 106dB
8mW = 109dB
16mW = 112dB
32mW = 115dB
64mW = 118dB
128mW = 121dB
256mW = 124dB
512mW= 127dB
1024mW = 130dB
2048mW = 133dB

So assuming the manufacturer's specs are accurate (not always a valid assumption), the GH4 will go to roughly 134dB and damage your hearing or maybe blow up before the Magni clips. Note that the above is not an indication of sound quality.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2021 at 7:14 PM Post #48,402 of 65,990
Hello all,
I received my Grado SR 80x phones yesterday and wow! I love rock music and these are tremendous. Such clarity and separation. I have the Schiit Audio Magni and Modi Dac and Amp driving these. I have been binge listening since yesterday. I have to admit that many albums I have heard for years sound so much more vibrant and clear and the bass is decent! I also have the Sennheiser 6xx phones and I love the sound of those also but for rock music, so far I like the energy of the Grados! Where do I sign up for the Grado Fan Club? Thanks everyone appreciate hearing any replies. By the way, I am retired but this hobby has me feeling like a kid again!

Aug 18, 2021 at 7:26 PM Post #48,405 of 65,990
The old is NEW again, current favorite combination of equipment and ears... GS1000i on Line Magnetic, LM-32 (transistor mode) going to Eddie Current Studio B wearing WE 300B's. Next favorite combo is throwing in a Border Patrol SEi DAC which brings forth a warmer more colorful sound signature less technical but more of a musical experience and much more forgiving of poor recordings. Happy Days, the Eddie Current Studio B is pure synergy and love on my Grado's, loving what the DHT's bring out in them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back