Grado Fan Club!
Aug 14, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #48,376 of 65,797
New to this thread (although I skimmed through the posts from the last 3 months or so)... I am looking for a good comparison of the X models (SR60x / SR80x / SR125x / SR225x / SR325x). Only comparison I could find was:

Which is a bit high-level (and does not include the 225 and 325 models).

In general, I prefer warmer, bassier and soother headphones. I know Grado is not well known for its bass, but I would still like to add 1 Grado to my collection. So, I will want one of the bassier Grados, while not being too sharp or treble emphasized.

Any pointers to a good comparison of the 4th gen X lineup is highly desired :)
Thanks!
325x is bassier and smoother to probably all other grados.

Aug 14, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #48,377 of 65,797
How does the wireless GW100 v2 compare? I read couple VERY positive reviews...
What if I go to higher end GS or RS models?

Aug 15, 2021 at 7:30 AM Post #48,378 of 65,797
Grado’s and ifi amp/dacs with xbass were made for each other.

Thanks, it's very kind of you. We like Grado cans a lot and it's always cool to read this the feeling is mutual :L3000:

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Aug 15, 2021 at 7:44 AM Post #48,379 of 65,797
Had chance to try almost all of X line up (the only exception is SR225X).

Dare I say, these improvements did surprised in good way!

SR60X and SR325X easily become my favourite.

SR60X produce wider soundstage, combine with smoother treble, and more natural midrange, with punchier bass compare to SR60e. At this price point it's a steal!

SR325X with flat pad, produce forward, energetic, and dense full body sound with plenty of punchy character. Bass drum is so fun here, combine with forward vocal and electric guitar with satisfying bite! I never liked the 325 line up (from non-i, i, and e), but 325X could be the sweetest spot of Grado line up right now.
Sorry if I've missed it, but I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on Sr60x Vs sr80x. It's been said on this thread that they sound identical. But I'm keen to hear your take, if that's ok?

Aug 15, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #48,380 of 65,797
With all respect. Try DT 1770 instead
Yeah, but at 250 ohms, how many amps will I need to drive them well? I can use any Grado with my LG V35 phone with its great HD DAC.

Aug 16, 2021 at 3:25 AM Post #48,381 of 65,797
Yeah, but at 250 ohms, how many amps will I need to drive them well? I can use any Grado with my LG V35 phone with its great HD DAC.
schiit magni 3 is okey. (99USD)

Aug 16, 2021 at 9:49 AM Post #48,382 of 65,797
New to this thread (although I skimmed through the posts from the last 3 months or so)... I am looking for a good comparison of the X models (SR60x / SR80x / SR125x / SR225x / SR325x). Only comparison I could find was:

Which is a bit high-level (and does not include the 225 and 325 models).

In general, I prefer warmer, bassier and soother headphones. I know Grado is not well known for its bass, but I would still like to add 1 Grado to my collection. So, I will want one of the bassier Grados, while not being too sharp or treble emphasized.

Any pointers to a good comparison of the 4th gen X lineup is highly desired :)
Thanks!
I think you might be looking for the 325x. I've heard that it is similar to the Hemp, being bossier and warmer, albeit with a little less resolution.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2021 at 10:44 PM Post #48,383 of 65,797
Don‘t have the V35 or 1770 here, but an old L5. Tested with DT1990pro (same driver specs): It reached unbearable volume. And of course the headphone revealed a horrible sound quality from the old, cheap Android crap.
Not exactly a Grado post… so:
Soundstage: DT1990pro, …, Clear, SR325e
Resolution: DT1990pro, Clear, …, SR325e
Bass: difficult, some like the Clear over the DT based on tonality. 3rd place SR325e.
Tonality/sounding: all three are completely different. The Clear has a touch more warmth, while the DT1990pro is a bit harder, more analytical like in more ‘pro‘. The SR is the most dynamic, some tend to say forward (does not mean ‘out of your head‘). I like to say ‘more analog‘.
None of them ever had problems with iPhones or any Android I had them connected to.
But a ‘dongle DAC‘ should improve the sound.
I liked the Beyers and Focals slightly more with the Questyle, but Grados with the Lehmanns.
Didn‘t purchase the Clear back then, but by practical, not sound quality reasons.
(Money, room,… the wife’s mood)
Nothing of this changes the statement:
Clear shows more of the music, Grados get you more involved.

Aug 16, 2021 at 11:10 PM Post #48,384 of 65,797
I searched and couldn't find a fan club for Grados in general. I have only listened to the SR80is and LOVE them. I love how these cans really bring rock to life. I hope to someday try some more high end Grados. I want to see how the Grado "house sound" changes throughout the line up.
I'm with you! I recently got the Grado Hemps and then the Gw100 v2. Love them both for different reasons. Now I'm always looking at others, just don't know where to go. Too happy with what I have. Afraid I might be pushing it.

Aug 17, 2021 at 1:16 AM Post #48,385 of 65,797
I'm with you! I recently got the Grado Hemps and then the Gw100 v2. Love them both for different reasons. Now I'm always looking at others, just don't know where to go. Too happy with what I have. Afraid I might be pushing it.
Can you provide some impressions on the GW100 v2 headphones?
Never heard of those until yesterday when I got an email from Audio 46 promoting them...

Aug 17, 2021 at 1:52 AM Post #48,386 of 65,797
Can you provide some impressions on the GW100 v2 headphones?
Never heard of those until yesterday when I got an email from Audio 46 promoting them...
sure - I would say they don't have the level of dynamics of the grado hemps, but still good. They have slightly elevated but well extended bass that goes deep and without any bloat and still controlled. I think the sound is quite natural and they sound a lot bigger than they are. I like them as they are so light and comfortable. I use them around the house when I can't be tethered. They don't isolate so can still hear things around you, but the open back does help the sound-stage a bit. Never harsh to my ears. Pretty good detail retrieval, but a little more smoothed, I'd say.

Edit: That's coming from my iPhone as source. Everything tightens up with my iBasso or KANN. The sound quality on a phone call isn't bad either. Clear and the other end can hear me well.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2021 at 2:03 AM Post #48,387 of 65,797
Thanks! Might have to get a pair to try out at home... :wink:

Aug 17, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #48,388 of 65,797
Hi, I posted this in the Introductions section, but I just saw this especific thread for Grados, so I'm going to post it here too:

I bought “blindfolded” (just based on recommendations) the SR80X, 2-3 weeks ago. I plugged them directly to my amp for vinyls (a humble Yamaha A-S201 amp, for an old Technics SL-D2 turntable), or to my laptop, or my smartphone... And I get the same result: the sound is dark, it's like the treble or the tone control (just like in the electric guitars or basses) are “rolled off”.

Besides, the low frequencies are too present. The kick drums, for example, are too boomy. And the general sound is like it's veiled or covered with a sheet or so. It's not an “open” sound, a clear or crystalline sound.

Anybody with the same issues? Any possible solution? Any recommendations for another cans for a maximum of 200€ budget?

Thanks!

Aug 17, 2021 at 9:49 AM Post #48,389 of 65,797
Switch the pads to Geekria L. If that doesn't work out for you, maybe find a SR225e (not x) which is still under your budget.

Much of the Grado X and Hemp hype are from people who weren't big fans of the prior Grado house sound, and it appears that the old sound is what you want.

Aug 17, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #48,390 of 65,797
Hi, I posted this in the Introductions section, but I just saw this especific thread for Grados, so I'm going to post it here too:

I bought “blindfolded” (just based on recommendations) the SR80X, 2-3 weeks ago. I plugged them directly to my amp for vinyls (a humble Yamaha A-S201 amp, for an old Technics SL-D2 turntable), or to my laptop, or my smartphone... And I get the same result: the sound is dark, it's like the treble or the tone control (just like in the electric guitars or basses) are “rolled off”.

Besides, the low frequencies are too present. The kick drums, for example, are too boomy. And the general sound is like it's veiled or covered with a sheet or so. It's not an “open” sound, a clear or crystalline sound.

Anybody with the same issues? Any possible solution? Any recommendations for another cans for a maximum of 200€ budget?

Thanks!
I believe what you are hearing is the result of high output impedance of your headphone outlet, causing a negative damping factor with the Grado's lowish input impedance. Try your headphones with a modern headphone amp, or even your mobile phone. If the sound changes drastically, you'll have your answer.

"As is the case with most budget amps, the headphone jack takes its feed directly from the power amplifier, rather than having its own dedicated circuit."
https://www.audioappraisal.com/yamaha-as201-integrated-amplifier-review/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back