Grado Fan Club!
Aug 20, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #48,421 of 65,794
I believe what you are hearing is the result of high output impedance of your headphone outlet, causing a negative damping factor with the Grado's lowish input impedance. Try your headphones with a modern headphone amp, or even your mobile phone. If the sound changes drastically, you'll have your answer.

"As is the case with most budget amps, the headphone jack takes its feed directly from the power amplifier, rather than having its own dedicated circuit."
https://www.audioappraisal.com/yamaha-as201-integrated-amplifier-review/
Thanks, as I replied in the other thread,
I used it with an old Sony D-EJ751 PCDP and, surprisingly, it sounds great!

So I think you are right, must be a problem with the Yamaha amp and, as for the laptop and the smartphone, maybe I'd need a DAC or so...

But, for now, at least I know I can use it with the discman. What a discovery!

Aug 20, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #48,422 of 65,794
Looking for a cheap dac with 2v output!

Aug 20, 2021 at 7:32 PM Post #48,423 of 65,794
CAD_9351-HDR-2.jpg

Aug 20, 2021 at 9:16 PM Post #48,426 of 65,794
New to this thread (although I skimmed through the posts from the last 3 months or so)... I am looking for a good comparison of the X models (SR60x / SR80x / SR125x / SR225x / SR325x). Only comparison I could find was:

Which is a bit high-level (and does not include the 225 and 325 models).

In general, I prefer warmer, bassier and soother headphones. I know Grado is not well known for its bass, but I would still like to add 1 Grado to my collection. So, I will want one of the bassier Grados, while not being too sharp or treble emphasized.

Any pointers to a good comparison of the 4th gen X lineup is highly desired :)
Thanks!
I haven't tried them all, but I have tried the 325X with the OG 325. I prefer the OG 325 with specific pads. I got these pads, and my OG 325 is much more listenable now. Bass is actually fairly enjoyable now. A Grado! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XYQ3PL1?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details&tag=headfi-20
These pads are between L and G pads. For me, G pads takes away too much bass impact but stages a bit bigger, and L-pads images smaller and bass doesn't not feel as impactful as pads I got from Amazon. Does Grado carry pads that's sized between L and G?

I think the OG 325 sounds more detailed with high-end amping, but can sound a bit too much in the upper-mids depending on the pads. The one I got from Amazon and G pads helps tame it a bit. But, I wanted improved imaging, greater bass, and tamed upper-mids, and the Amazon pads I got worked perfectly! I think I got these tuned to be very listenable now.

I think 325X sounds tamer in the upper-mids and even with flats it can sound smoother (if you compare with flats on 325X and 325), but with bigger pads, it didn't sound as well imaged and resolving as the OG 325. I personally don't like flats as imaging takes a toll.

Anway, I had the 325 because I liked the 325 the best when comparing with the woodies.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2021 at 10:16 PM Post #48,427 of 65,794
I haven't tried them all, but I have tried the 325X with the OG 325. I prefer the OG 325 with specific pads. I got these pads, and my OG 325 is much more listenable now. Bass is actually fairly enjoyable now. A Grado! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XYQ3PL1?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details&tag=headfi-20
These pads are between L and G pads. For me, G pads takes away too much bass impact but stages a bit bigger, and L-pads images smaller and bass doesn't not feel as impactful as pads I got from Amazon. Does Grado carry pads that's sized between L and G?

I think the OG 325 sounds more detailed with high-end amping, but can sound a bit too much in the upper-mids depending on the pads. The one I got from Amazon and G pads helps tame it a bit. But, I wanted improved imaging, greater bass, and tamed upper-mids, and the Amazon pads I got worked perfectly! I think I got these tuned to be very listenable now.

I think 325X sounds tamer in the upper-mids and even with flats it can sound smoother (if you compare with flats on 325X and 325), but with bigger pads, it didn't sound as well imaged and resolving as the OG 325. I personally don't like flats as imaging takes a toll.

Anway, I had the 325 because I liked the 325 the best when comparing with the woodies.

So comparing both 325e with L Cush and 325X with L Cush, the 325e is still more detailed but 325X with L Cush more smoother?
By smoother do you mean more clean with less grain? So the 325X has more bass even with L Cush and less lower and mid treble?

Personally I'm waiting for the RS1X and RS2X and hoping to use them with L Cush rather than F pads.
If the X series drivers themselves have more bass, the F pads will just be an over kill with them and at the same time decreasing the treble.
I feel like Grado is going far with this "more bass" thing. Maybe the pendulum will swing back a little after the X series. I thought "e series" had enough bass while keeping the Grado signature.

Aug 20, 2021 at 10:32 PM Post #48,428 of 65,794
So comparing both 325e with L Cush and 325X with L Cush, the 325e is still more detailed but 325X with L Cush more smoother?
By smoother do you mean more clean with less grain? So the 325X has more bass even with L Cush and less lower and mid treble?

Personally I'm waiting for the RS1X and RS2X and hoping to use them with L Cush rather than F pads.
If the X series drivers themselves have more bass, the F pads will just be an over kill with them and at the same time decreasing the treble.
I feel like Grado is going far with this "more bass" thing. Maybe the pendulum will swing back a little after the X series. I thought "e series" had enough bass while keeping the Grado signature.
Yes, it is smoother with less grain (if we agree on what we hear as grain). The grain I'm referring to is more of texturing that stands out. I think of it more as dulled out. If it still retained the resolution, I would call it clean, but it's not like that. Instead of resolve, I say the texturing is more of the transparency of the OG 325 in the upper-mids. I feel that the OG is more transparent sounding.

325X does seem to have more bass when I tried G pads on both, but it doesn't seem to be that much. Not to the point that I can distinguish unless I went back and forth between the two many times. It may just be that 325X reduced the upper-mids some and just some warmer and perceptually more bass? Not sure. Don't expect significant bass increase. What's really noticeable in regards to bass is the aftermarket foam pads I've used (either will get a significant boost in bass with the foam).

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2021 at 10:53 PM Post #48,429 of 65,794
Well…it’s like…I live 2 weeks with one and I think, this is the best. Then for some reason I just wan’t an other…don’t know.

Recent days it is the HEMP again. Before that for weeks the RS1 classic. Before that the HP2i. Ok, the last one is a cheater. The rule is: never start a session with the HP2i if you plan to change to an other can the same day. It has it’s quirks, but it is so clear (in a good sense), so “nude”, that every other phone after that is fake sounding, especially in the midrange.

What I know for sure is, that GS1000i gets the least playtime. There is some harshness in it (in the highs), that is not present in any other of the smaller Grado’s I have. It can be unpleasent sometimes.
It sounds like you're really good friends with all of your Grados except for the GS1000i - different personalities and quirks just like people, right!? I have a feeling that you, like most Grado heads, don't listen to much well recorded classical music. My guess is that the GS1000i is highly resolving and revealing in the highs, and thus requires source material that is super clean. If you haven't, listen to some super high resolution classical music and see how the GS1000i likes it, just for poops an laughs.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2021 at 2:11 AM Post #48,431 of 65,794
It sounds like you're really good friends with all of your Grados except for the GS1000i - different personalities and quirks just like people, right!? I have a feeling that you, like most Grado heads, don't listen to much well recorded classical music. My guess is that the GS1000i is highly resolving and revealing in the highs, and thus requires source material that is super clean. If you haven't, listen to some super high resolution classical music and see how the GS1000i likes it, just for poops an laughs.
You are correct. I listen to just about everything but classic :)

To give you an example, there is this new track from Billie Eilish (please no comment :) ) - “Not my responsibility”. This track has this higher sounding effect, which is really unpleasant with the GS1000i (and the ZMF Aelous too). I can clearly hear that both headphones loose composure (in the highs). The “smaller” Grados are just super smooth without any harshness.

Aug 21, 2021 at 10:05 PM Post #48,433 of 65,794
You are correct. I listen to just about everything but classic :)

To give you an example, there is this new track from Billie Eilish (please no comment :) ) - “Not my responsibility”. This track has this higher sounding effect, which is really unpleasant with the GS1000i (and the ZMF Aelous too). I can clearly hear that both headphones loose composure (in the highs). The “smaller” Grados are just super smooth without any harshness.
Haha, I knew! Just make sure that you’re not mistaking “smooth” for “rolled off“. While, I don’t own a GS1000i, I know it is near flagship level in the Grado line. I still have a feeling that it might just be too revealing, as opposed to losing composure In the highs. Just for fun, you should find some high quality hi Rez recordings with high dynamic range. Not to bash Billie Eilish, but it is pop music, right? Most likely fairly compressed and processed with very little dynamic range. It might be that the GS1000i is too good for your music lol. I have the same experience listen to Beyerdynamic t1s with rock. My ears bleed. But with a good classical recording, it’s audio nirvana, man.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2021 at 10:56 PM Post #48,434 of 65,794
My stack of tires... Errr, I mean pads:)

20210821_195052_HDR.jpg

Aug 24, 2021 at 8:39 AM Post #48,435 of 65,794
I have a feeling that you, like most Grado heads, don't listen to much well recorded classical music.
I'm Grado head and listen to well recorded classical music all the time. In fact, if I know ahead of time that I will be listening to classical music, the only phones I will grab are my GS1000e. Just beautiful with some good classical music....and acoustic jazz!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back