Grado Fan Club!
Jun 30, 2020 at 7:57 AM Post #41,656 of 65,623
Hello folks,

I used to be a regular on the Grado Fan Club.

However that changed one day. At the time I was using the SR225e and had recently bought the Chord Mojo. (They were actually 225i with 6mm plug, but with red-e-driver.) Plus I had a Sony ZX300 DAP, for out walking. ….. Anyway I needed earphones for the DAP, and finally bit the bullet and bought AKG N40; for £250 while at £350 RRP. They reviewed really well for sound and comfort.

The difference was immediate, although the price difference was not fair to really compare the AKG N40 and the SR225e. N40 were retailing at almost twice the SR225e. … However from the absolute off, the difference in signature was night and day. The N40 also had incredible synergy with the Chord Mojo too, so again N40 vs 225e; not a fair shoot-out.

The first thing that hit me though was the body to the sound. The 225e in stock form, and not EQ-d, fell flat compared to the N40. If I pressed the 225e closer to my ears (or as some suggest, buy g-cush for them), or EQ-D. Then I could get the 225e right. ……… There was no really comparison though because N40 and Mojo had such synergy. Even with better equipment on hand, it's still fun just to listen to that N40 - Mojo synergy. The N40 on their own were full bodied sounding. Though not thick in a way to obscure detail, since they have good detail retrieval.

Anyway with helpless love for the Mojo, I ended falling for the Hugo 2, and TT2. Am currently listening with (the electrostatic) Shure KSE1200 with TT2: marriage made in paradise. The electrostatics speed is way beyond addictive. The balance of the KSE1200 is so neutral, they play perfectly with all the Chord DACs. (What with Chord being neutral.) … Of course, saying neutral I don't mean boring. I mean true to the musicians and recording engineers. The speed, tonality, and temper of the KSE1200 is gorgeous, and mixed with the resolving power of the TT2. … Lovely stuff .. !

Naturally though I would also like a full-size pair of headphones. (Have wondered from time to time about the PS2000e. Not that I have to spend 2000e money. Plus it's a bad time to be looking as all headphones seem to have gone up in price in the UK. Due to being post-lockdown, and lockdown sales figures being so low.)

That's where I have been, in case anyone was wondering where I got to. I know folk just stop posting sometimes. It was not intentional though. One thing I do feel looking back though, is how bright I actually found the 225e. Am relieved I never stretched budget to the 325e, as some say they are brighter. I had a quick listen to the 325e, but could not be sure if they were run in or not. They were way too toppy. ........... I still sometimes try the 225e for a listen every now and again. However without EQ I find it too edgy and bright. Am only ever really looking for neutral headphones, but totally neutral headphones are quite elusive.

That's not to say I did not have fun with the 225e with EQ, or even the 125i I had before. I did love owning them at the time, but I think because of the EQ-ing aspect, it made me nervous to upgrade. I was never sure where I was going. …. To explain. I use JRiver Media Centre, which I chose based on its bit-perfect playback. (Other players do bit perfect too. Just I trialled JRiver because folk were talking about it at the time.) …. What happened though was, I ended up with quite a few EQ settings for the 225e, saved in JRiver. In the end I just got tired of trying with it. … Then by chance and having a DAP, I needed some earphones. The rest was as they say, history.

I do understand that some of the GH headphones had more bass presence. Some even turning to the big cushions with the GH-1. Am not beating on Grado. Just saying, those 225e need work to make sound right. … Actually having said that, maybe now would be a guilt free time to mod them to wooden cups. That might warm them up, plus I could re-cable them at the same time. I would want the bass and mids evenly brought out more. Just raising the bass would leave the mids recessed, and that's no good. Would likely cost more than it's worth though. …. Maybe it's best to sell them to someone who uses tubes or a warm source.

Anyway hello again Grado Fan Club.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #41,657 of 65,623
why does rs2 sometimes have a red band and sometimes black there are different versions of rs2?
I am guessing you are talking about the black leather headband vs. the brown one. Grado had a problem at the introduction of their rs1e. At that time all their headphones had black leather headbands. When they "fixed" the problem they wanted to easily differentiate the "fixed" version so for whatever reason they changed all their rs1e and rs2e to brown leather headband. That happened (as I recall) around early 2017. Any rs2e sold new should have the brown headband.

Jun 30, 2020 at 10:39 AM Post #41,658 of 65,623
I am guessing you are talking about the black leather headband vs. the brown one. Grado had a problem at the introduction of their rs1e. At that time all their headphones had black leather headbands. When they "fixed" the problem they wanted to easily differentiate the "fixed" version so for whatever reason they changed all their rs1e and rs2e to brown leather headband. That happened (as I recall) around early 2017. Any rs2e sold new should have the brown headband.
thanks, you have been very helpful

Jun 30, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #41,659 of 65,623

I didn't know they did it to differentiate versions...I thought they had changed colors because the tan version looks better (which in my opinion, it does).

Jun 30, 2020 at 8:41 PM Post #41,662 of 65,623
Jul 1, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #41,664 of 65,623
The "Grado Effect"

I have quite a few headphones and IEMs across various brands (2 Ultrasones, 5 Sennheisers, 6 Beats, 4 Sonys, 2 HiFiMANs, 20 Grados, and several others).

One thing that is very satisfying to do, that I can only do with Grados, is to start with one of the most humble of their headphones (SR 80-e), listen critically, and be amazed at how very wonderful that sound is... there could be nothing better.

Then I go to the next up in my Grado collection (say, the SR125), and I am startled that the sound that was so perfect on the first headphone just became even better.

I move to the next-higher headphone, say, the SR325i, and again the same thing happens - perfection is improved upon once again!

I can continue on and on up the line until reaching the summit, the PS2000e.

It is only with the Grados that I see this effect, where each step up is more perfect than the prior. Hence, I have dubbed this the Grado Effect.

Family Portrait3.jpg

Jul 1, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #41,665 of 65,623
The "Grado Effect"

I have quite a few headphones and IEMs across various brands (2 Ultrasones, 5 Sennheisers, 6 Beats, 4 Sonys, 2 HiFiMANs, 20 Grados, and several others).

One thing that is very satisfying to do, that I can only do with Grados, is to start with one of the most humble of their headphones (SR 80-e), listen critically, and be amazed at how very wonderful that sound is... there could be nothing better.

Then I go to the next up in my Grado collection (say, the SR125), and I am startled that the sound that was so perfect on the first headphone just became even better.

I move to the next-higher headphone, say, the SR325i, and again the same thing happens - perfection is improved upon once again!

It is only with the Grados that I see this effect, where each step up is more perfect than the prior. Hence, I have dubbed this the Grado Effect.

Family Portrait3.jpg
That's 39 headphones.

Either buy another pair, or throw one away. You'll thank me later.

Jul 1, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #41,667 of 65,623
The "Grado Effect"

Family Portrait3.jpg

i can hear your gs1000i is crying right now

Jul 1, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #41,668 of 65,623
PS500 is the same as HF2.
Not the same. If I remember correctly I think the hf2 sounded more on the neutralish side vs the ps500.
I think (it's been a while since I owned either one) the ps500 maybe had two vent hole while the hf2 had one? Again, it's been a while so don't take this as the gospel.

Jul 1, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #41,669 of 65,623
@ruthieandjohn have you come across a Grado you didn't entirely like?
I know you weren't totally satisfied with the gs1ke, any other ones?

Personally, I disliked the gh4. I know my listening preference changed somewhat going back a year or two. I also went through love hate relationship with the rs1e (brown headband, flushed drivers).

Jul 1, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #41,670 of 65,623
perfection is improved upon once again!

Perfection is never achieved until you price a headphone for around $2000. The higher the price, the more perfection you will get.

What, you don't believe this? Just ask any of the cool manufacturers nowadays.

Save up, boys and girls...or your music will surely sound like crap!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back