Grado Fan Club!
Jan 17, 2020 at 11:38 AM Post #40,726 of 65,629
traitor!!! hahaha
wow for couple of albums, a real music lover. salute! i don't think i can follow your way, headphone for few albums. man i'm such a hoarder :D

There are other monetary circumstances presently in my life. The two albums, as previously mentioned, were quite expensive because they’re rare and the currency exchange is murder on Canadians. Because I’m retired, I don’t like getting into debt unless it’s absolutely necessary. I have a ‘comfortable’ pension but there are other monetary priorities that come along hence my opening remark in this post. Long story short, I’m happy with the set up and headphones I own and am happy not owing anything. I still have some money left over from paying off the albums on my credit card. Also, like I pointed out in my previous post I paid $500 CDN for them initially so I look at it as having rented them for over a year at $150 CDN. Not a bad deal.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #40,727 of 65,629
What other headphones do you have? And how would you describe the GS1000i compared to them? If you don't mind me asking.

Thanks.

Shane D
No, I don’t mind at all Shane. The four headphones I have left are : HD600, HD650, Beyer T1 Gen1 & Beyer DT880 Pro/ 600 ohms. Now to answer your question about comparing the GS1000i’s sound compared to the ones I’ve kept.

Before I answer directly, I must specify that unlike the majority of audiophile members on Head-fi, I’m not a purist in the sense that I use tonal adjusters : the Schiit Loki &/ or, the JDS Labs Subjective3. Not only that but my vintage amp, Kenwood KA-8006, 70wpc [1974] also has tonal adjustment switches and knobs & I double up with the Loki or Subj3. It’s a manual adjustment since I listen to CDs.

The GS1000i is one of the best headphones I’ve owned and I love it’s main quality which is, it’s very detailed and clear, two of the qualities I look for and which I prefer. Now, contrary to popular opinion regarding the HD650 sound as being veiled and dark, I do not share this impression/ opinion at all whatsoever. With my set up and tonal adjustments the HD650 is quite revealing even detailed with full body and ooomph but what I also like the most is the clear and present surprising sounds which seem to suddenly pop out of left field. Those sounds can be percussion, horns, a rythm guitar lick, etc. but it’s so “there” and so clear.

Since 2003 I’ve never been without a pair of HD600 which has the best midrange of just about any other headphone on the market regardless of price. The Beyer T1 Gen1 is a clear, fully fluid and detailed headphone which it’s detractors dislike the treble which may have some sibilance at times. Again, if the treble is a bit too sharp : tonal adjustment and voila, no problemo. Lastly the DT880 Pro/ 600 ohms : it resembles the GS1000i in some aspects but with more body and it sounds great with my vintage amp.

The most important thing to keep in mind, always when listening to music, regardless of the headphone is : the album production and mastering. Some albums are not very well recorded and some purists who refuse to use any tonal adjustment in the name of not colouring the sound spend copious amounts of money on expensive DACs, cables, headphones, amps in the quest of finding that pure sound. I don’t want to go that route anymore. I did at one time but am happy with what I have now. I also don’t want to open up a can of worms having to discuss or defend my point of view on the subject so if anyone objects to what I’ve just written, please remember that it’s only my opinion & I’m not getting into any debates. Too old and no time or energy to waste. I respect all opinions and points of view.

So Shane, I sort of drifted off your question towards the end but I answered the best way I could. I loved the GS1000i sound but I also like the other HPs I own and feel they have a bit more overall body. I guess it always comes down to a matter of “personal” taste.

Jan 17, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #40,728 of 65,629
No, I don’t mind at all Shane. The four headphones I have left are : HD600, HD650, Beyer T1 Gen1 & Beyer DT880 Pro/ 600 ohms. Now to answer your question about comparing the GS1000i’s sound compared to the ones I’ve kept.

Before I answer directly, I must specify that unlike the majority of audiophile members on Head-fi, I’m not a purist in the sense that I use tonal adjusters : the Schiit Loki &/ or, the JDS Labs Subjective3. Not only that but my vintage amp, Kenwood KA-8006, 70wpc [1974] also has tonal adjustment switches and knobs & I double up with the Loki or Subj3. It’s a manual adjustment since I listen to CDs.

The GS1000i is one of the best headphones I’ve owned and I love it’s main quality which is, it’s very detailed and clear, two of the qualities I look for and which I prefer. Now, contrary to popular opinion regarding the HD650 sound as being veiled and dark, I do not share this impression/ opinion at all whatsoever. With my set up and tonal adjustments the HD650 is quite revealing even detailed with full body and ooomph but what I also like the most is the clear and present surprising sounds which seem to suddenly pop out of left field. Those sounds can be percussion, horns, a rythm guitar lick, etc. but it’s so “there” and so clear.

Since 2003 I’ve never been without a pair of HD600 which has the best midrange of just about any other headphone on the market regardless of price. The Beyer T1 Gen1 is a clear, fully fluid and detailed headphone which it’s detractors dislike the treble which may have some sibilance at times. Again, if the treble is a bit too sharp : tonal adjustment and voila, no problemo. Lastly the DT880 Pro/ 600 ohms : it resembles the GS1000i in some aspects but with more body and it sounds great with my vintage amp.

The most important thing to keep in mind, always when listening to music, regardless of the headphone is : the album production and mastering. Some albums are not very well recorded and some purists who refuse to use any tonal adjustment in the name of not colouring the sound spend copious amounts of money on expensive DACs, cables, headphones, amps in the quest of finding that pure sound. I don’t want to go that route anymore. I did at one time but am happy with what I have now. I also don’t want to open up a can of worms having to discuss or defend my point of view on the subject so if anyone objects to what I’ve just written, please remember that it’s only my opinion & I’m not getting into any debates. Too old and no time or energy to waste. I respect all opinions and points of view.

So Shane, I sort of drifted off your question towards the end but I answered the best way I could. I loved the GS1000i sound but I also like the other HPs I own and feel they have a bit more overall body. I guess it always comes down to a matter of “personal” taste.

Thanks for the very detailed response!
So, you don't bother with stand alone DAC's or headphone amps? How do you incorporate the Loki in your chain?

Our tastes are running similar with my Beyer T5p.2's and now my HD600's. So, you are fine with having no Grado sound in your system? I could never have a collection with NO Grado's.
I had the HD6XX's a few years ago and bought an iFi MICRO iCann SE to work with them. Never cared for the sound.

But I am liking the HD600's, although it's only been a few days. I am still in the midst of figuring out my keepers, both headphones and heaphone amps or I would have jumped on your headphone deal.

I also lack the purist gene. I could not keep my Koss system without the Loki.

Very interesting read!

Shane D

Jan 17, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #40,729 of 65,629
Always wanted to try out a Statement series. That's a hell of a price for them!

Jan 17, 2020 at 5:50 PM Post #40,730 of 65,629
Thanks for the very detailed response!
So, you don't bother with stand alone DAC's or headphone amps? How do you incorporate the Loki in your chain?

Our tastes are running similar with my Beyer T5p.2's and now my HD600's. So, you are fine with having no Grado sound in your system? I could never have a collection with NO Grado's.
I had the HD6XX's a few years ago and bought an iFi MICRO iCann SE to work with them. Never cared for the sound.

But I am liking the HD600's, although it's only been a few days. I am still in the midst of figuring out my keepers, both headphones and heaphone amps or I would have jumped on your headphone deal.

I also lack the purist gene. I could not keep my Koss system without the Loki.

Very interesting read!

Shane D

I don’t need a stand alone DAC because my CD player has an internal DAC (as does every CD player, DVD player, etc.). This CD player, the TEAC PD-H600 is an exceptional one. All aluminium with Esoteric parts which is TEAC’s flagship series. So my audio chain is CD player and amp both connected to the Loki. I have two excellent headphone amps : the JDS Labs Objective2 (yes it’s exceptional) & the Violectric HPA V100 which is the most neutral of the Lake People V series but out of production. I owned the much heralded V series flagship V281 & the V200 promoted as the V100’s “superior” replacement & didn’t like either one. Too dark sounding and too warm for my taste. I also don’t find balanced amps/ headphones to sound better than SE. Again, “my opinion” & not debating other audiophile’s opinions or tastes. I use all of my amps but I do prefer my vintage Kenwood. I do recommend to Head-if members to look up & peruse the “Vintage receivers” thread & the “Sound Science Forum”. I’ve learned a lot from the latter especially.

Here’s a link with a brief write-up and specs of the excellent TEAC PD-H600 : http://audio.teac.com/product/pd-h600/

Jan 17, 2020 at 5:56 PM Post #40,731 of 65,629
I don’t need a stand alone DAC because my CD player has an internal DAC (as does every CD player, DVD player, etc.). This CD player, the TEAC PD-H600 is an exceptional one. All aluminium with Esoteric parts which is TEAC’s flagship series. So my audio chain is CD player and amp both connected to the Loki. I have two excellent headphone amps : the JDS Labs Objective2 (yes it’s exceptional) & the Violectric HPA V100 which is the most neutral of the Lake People V series but out of production. I owned the much heralded V series flagship V281 & the V200 promoted as the V100’s “superior” replacement & didn’t like either one. Too dark sounding and too warm for my taste. I also don’t find balanced amps/ headphones to sound better than SE. Again, “my opinion” & not debating other audiophile’s opinions or tastes. I use all of my amps but I do prefer my vintage Kenwood. I do recommend to Head-if members to look up & peruse the “Vintage receivers” thread & the “Sound Science Forum”. I’ve learned a lot from the latter especially.

Here’s a link with a brief write-up and specs of the excellent TEAC PD-H600 : http://audio.teac.com/product/pd-h600/

Cool. I dumped my whole CD collection after ripping it all about five years ago. I do have have some Jazz CD's, but I rip them as ALAC and they sound great. Sounds like you have finished your journey. Hopefuly I will get there later this year or next year at the latest. Not as in done forever, but only make like one addition a year. And even then it would have to be special. Like your GS1000i's.:darthsmile:

Shane D

Jan 18, 2020 at 11:55 PM Post #40,733 of 65,629
I had no idea that you were so close to me. Not many of us around these parts.

Shane D

We talked about that a couple of years ago, in another thread or you might have sent me a message, I’ll have to check. Yeah, you live in “the city” as they say in these parts. I moved here to Milton, NS eight years ago this coming March, from Ottawa after retiring. Milton is a very small village not far from the ocean. Paradise.
Hi neighbors, I'm just across the Bay of Fundy in Saint John. :)

Jan 19, 2020 at 12:10 AM Post #40,734 of 65,629
There is a guy named Travis Wilson from Moncton, I think. He's on Head-Fi and also has a group on Facebook.

So, we do have a local group, it is just REALLY spread out.:smile:

Shane D

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2020 at 12:38 AM Post #40,735 of 65,629
Dammit, every time I break open the Bourbon, I have to put on Hiromi's Trio Project with the great Hiromo, Anthony Jackson, and Simon Phillips:

Love watching her facial expressions and the band's non-vocal communication. I prefer the studio version of this song, but watching them play is something else.

Favorite video of theirs: but with schitty audio :frowning2:

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2020 at 7:07 AM Post #40,736 of 65,629
Dammit, every time I break open the Bourbon, I have to put on Hiromi's Trio Project with the great Hiromo, Anthony Jackson, and Simon Phillips:

Love watching her facial expressions and the band's non-vocal communication. I prefer the studio version of this song, but watching them play is something else.

Favorite video of theirs: but with schitty audio :frowning2:

CHEERS ! :tumbler_glass::musical_score:

Jan 20, 2020 at 3:22 AM Post #40,737 of 65,629
If any one has heard both a gh2 and a gs1000e then I'd love to hear more specifics on the sound diffs please.
I don‘t find a answer for this question...
Has someone compared the GH2, GS1000e, the GH1 and the PS500 ?
Which from them has the widest soundstage and the best sound ?

Jan 20, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #40,738 of 65,629
I don‘t find a answer for this question...
Has someone compared the GH2, GS1000e, the GH1 and the PS500 ?
Which from them has the widest soundstage and the best sound ?
Take a look at the post in red in my signature. It has comparisons for each of these, though not all four to each other.

Jan 20, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #40,739 of 65,629
Take a look at the post in red in my signature. It has comparisons for each of these, though not all four to each other.
Thanks a lot but I‘m interested about a compare from the GH2 (which I own) to GH1, the GH2 to GS1000e and the GH2 to the PS500 (not PS500e).
I found none of them in your compare list...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back