Grado Fan Club!
Dec 23, 2019 at 1:33 PM Post #40,666 of 65,633
I love my Grado's! I am currently in a marathon with my Koss electrostatics, but I got a nice little delivery in the mail today.

I managed to break a gimbal on my Grado's while changing earpads. I contacted them and asked if I could buy one or two. They guy said he would throw one in the mail. Got it today with no charge for the item or shipping (I am in Canada).

Just reinforces my love for Grado.:thumbsup:

Shane D

Dec 23, 2019 at 1:46 PM Post #40,667 of 65,633
[QUOTE="Shane D, post: 15377833
I managed to break a gimbal on my Grado's while changing earpads. I contacted them and asked if I could buy one or two. They guy said he would throw one in the mail. Got it today with no charge for the item or shipping (I am in Canada).

Just reinforces my love for Grado.:thumbsup:

Shane D[/QUOTE]

I had a recent experience with a rod block that was cracked. Contacted Grado by email and got a response the same day that they would drop a set in the mail to me. No charge, no questions. They not only make a great product, but support their products, as well.

Dec 25, 2019 at 9:02 AM Post #40,668 of 65,633
Merry Christmas from Kentucky! :L3000::L3000:

MastodonXmasSweater.jpg

Dec 26, 2019 at 9:21 AM Post #40,670 of 65,633
A belated Merry Christmas to all from Canada!

Shane D

Dec 27, 2019 at 4:26 PM Post #40,676 of 65,633
Yesterday, I received a nice package in the mail from our friends in Brooklyn, NY. The right rod block on my HF2 had a crack, not really impacting my ability to use the headphones, but my anal retentive tendencies will not allow me to ignore such things. I also noticed recently that the left rod block had loosened its grip on the steel rod. As a result the left ear cup would slide down during use requiring me to regularly readjust the position. I e-mailed Grado and they answered same day to ask for my mailing address as they wanted to send replacements. No charge, no questions asked. When I opened the package yesterday, I found the replacement rod blocks, as promised, and two brand new gimbals...the premium metal, full circle style. Repaired and upgraded my HF2 in one slick operation. How awesome is that? I was a Grado fan for life before this incident.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2019 at 5:59 PM Post #40,677 of 65,633
That's awesome! I might need to do that in the future -- might right rod block is a bit loose. It doesn't slip when I am wearing it, but whenever I take them off and put them back on it's extended a bit more. Seems to be getting gradually a bit looser in the 2~3 months I've had them (second owner). As of now, it's more of just an anal-retentive thing of mine since it doesn't affect my enjoyment or the performance...

Dec 27, 2019 at 9:28 PM Post #40,678 of 65,633
That's awesome! I might need to do that in the future -- might right rod block is a bit loose. It doesn't slip when I am wearing it, but whenever I take them off and put them back on it's extended a bit more. Seems to be getting gradually a bit looser in the 2~3 months I've had them (second owner). As of now, it's more of just an anal-retentive thing of mine since it doesn't affect my enjoyment or the performance...

These work, as well, for maintaining the desired position of the rod / rod block. Hat's off to fellow Head-Fier, Oteil, for making me aware of these.

IMG_2539.JPG

Dec 28, 2019 at 2:23 PM Post #40,679 of 65,633
Grado GW100 Impressions

After promising she wouldn't buy me any more headphones (I have about 50), my wife DID buy me a pair for Christmas... the wireless Grado GW100! She said that they were so special, that they did not count against my headphone quota!

They have the flat "comfie" pads like the SR60e, SR80e, and SR125e. They are extremely light, all black plastic construction (except the grill on the earpiece and the spring of the headband, oh, and the posts that hold the earpieces, er… and the wires, and...). They have no model number on them (but they do say Grado Wireless Series).

Like all Grado headphones to date, they are open (well... more properly, I'd say "semi-open," as they must block some of the space between driver and outside of earpiece by the Bluetooth electronics... you cannot see light through them). Grado points out that they block 60% more of the sound between inside and out as the regular wired open Grados.

They sound spacious and open, with as much ability to present a bass line as my Sennheiser Momentum 2 AEBT (Around Ear Blue Tooth), but with more spacious openness, wider sound stage, and more treble bite (though not as much as wired Grados).

Their Bluetooth pairs easily, does not drop out, and works at least up to the 10 meter distance that they advertise. They are very comfortable to wear, mainly due to their lightness and the choice of flat pads.

I am amused when reviewers fulminate and harrumph about the fact that these are open. It is like buying a red Ferrari and then complaining that it is so... red! As these reviewers note, because they are open, you can both hear and be heard by the outside world (though not as much as most open headphones). If you are using these for commutes on public transportation in close quarters with others, that can be a problem. However, if you are walking, you get both the better sound and the ability to hear approaching danger, e.g., cars, more easily, and if you are inside, you can be in a quiet environment and enjoy being untethered by a wire. I love my Audeze iSine 20 IEMs, my Apple Ear Pods and Air Pods for the same reason... I can remain aware of my surroundings and I am not often in a loud environment close to other people.

The Grado GW100s occupy a special place in my collection of wireless headphones, which include the Sennheiser Momentum 2 AEBT mentioned earlier, the Parrot Zik, the V-MODA Crossfade Wireless, and the Sennheiser PXT 310BT folding shirt-pocket-portable Bluetooths. I use the GW100s more than any others.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2019 at 3:21 PM Post #40,680 of 65,633
Grado GW100 Impressions

They have the flat "comfie" pads like the SR60e, SR80e, and SR125e. They are extremely light, all black plastic construction (except the grill on the earpiece and the spring of the headband, oh, and the posts that hold the earpieces, er… and the wires, and...). They have no model number on them (but they do say Grado Wireless Series).
Their Bluetooth pairs easily, does not drop out, and works at least up to the 10 meter distance that they advertise. They are very comfortable to wear, mainly due to their lightness and the choice of flat pads.
The Grado GW100s occupy a special place in my collection of wireless headphones, which include the Sennheiser Momentum 2 AEBT mentioned earlier, the Parrot Zik, the V-MODA Crossfade Wireless, and the Sennheiser PXT 310BT folding shirt-pocket-portable Bluetooths. I use the GW100s more than any others.

The GW100 were my first wireless and first Grado -- definitely occupy a special place for me! I impulsively bought them on a Wednesday and paid for next day air shipping because we were leaving for an Alaskan cruise on Friday around noon! Luckily they arrived on time, and I listened to them every day of the beautiful trip. Certain songs bring back the memories of the vast blue Pacific ocean, the glaciers, sitting on our cabin's porch with my feet propped up drinking a single malt, etc. thanks to being able to take these everywhere without tangling wires or amps to carry around. The battery lasts a LOT longer than the 15 hours they suggest. I fully charged them before leaving for the airport (1.5 hour drive) and listened most of the way there. Then I listened to them in the airport about 1/2 the time (probably another 2-3 hours -- flight was pushed back almost 5 hours). Then each leg of the trip (Cincinnati to Denver, Denver to Seattle). I didn't have to charge them again until day 5 of the cruise and listened to them at least 2-3 hours a night after everyone else went to bed and I walked the deck.

Regarding the pads -- I think they have a larger diameter than the original comfies. They don't fit or stay on my GH2s, and vice versa L-Pads don't stretch around the GW-100 (I didn't force it to fit as I only have one pair of L-Pads now.)

The range is a fickle thing! If I put my phone in my right pant pocket (I am 6'2", so a decent distance from my head, I guess?) the sound drops out frequently. If I put it in my left pocket, it works 95% of the time. The times they drop is when I am mowing and do a 180* turn and I guess the phone swings too far? The strange thin is -- when I walk around the house I can leave my phone on the kitchen table and walk the entire downstairs without signal dropping!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back