Grado Fan Club!
Dec 28, 2019 at 5:36 PM Post #40,681 of 65,615
Grado GW100 Impressions

After promising she wouldn't buy me any more headphones (I have about 50), my wife DID buy me a pair for Christmas... the wireless Grado GW100! She said that they were so special, that they did not count against my headphone quota!

They have the flat "comfie" pads like the SR60e, SR80e, and SR125e. They are extremely light.

Like all Grado headphones to date, they are open (well... more properly, I'd say "semi-open," as they must block some of the space between driver and outside of earpiece by the Bluetooth electronics... you cannot see light through them). Grado points out that they block 60% more of the sound between inside and out as the regular wired

I am amused when reviewers fulminate and harrumph about the fact that these are open. It is like buying a red Ferrari and then complaining that it is so... red! As these reviewers note, because they are open, you can both hear and be heard by the outside world (though not as much as most open headphones). If you are using these for commutes on public transportation in close quarters with others, that can be a problem. However, if you are walking, you get both the better sound and the ability to hear approaching danger, e.g., cars, more easily, and if you are inside, you can be in a quiet environment and enjoy being untethered by a wire. I love my Audeze, iSine 20 IEMs, my Apple Ear Pods and Air Pods for the same reason... I can remain aware of my surroundings and I am not often in a loud environment close to other people.

The Grado GW100s occupy a special place in my collection of wireless headphones, which include the Sennheiser Momentum 2 AEBT mentioned earlier, the Parrot Zik, the V-MODA Crossfade Wireless, and the Sennheiser PXT 310BT folding shirt-pocket-portable Bluetooths. I use the GW100s more than any others.

I agree, Grado has done an admirable job with these. They also come with a wire so if you settled you can switch to that instead of using Blu Tooth. I was told by a good source that they will even sound a touch better when hard wired. That aside I think the are an excellent value, recommended if they fit your needs.

Dec 28, 2019 at 5:57 PM Post #40,682 of 65,615
Grado GW100 Impressions

After promising she wouldn't buy me any more headphones (I have about 50), my wife DID buy me a pair for Christmas... the wireless Grado GW100! She said that they were so special, that they did not count against my headphone quota!

They have the flat "comfie" pads like the SR60e, SR80e, and SR125e. They are extremely light, all black plastic construction (except the grill on the earpiece and the spring of the headband, oh, and the posts that hold the earpieces, er… and the wires, and...). They have no model number on them (but they do say Grado Wireless Series).

Like all Grado headphones to date, they are open (well... more properly, I'd say "semi-open," as they must block some of the space between driver and outside of earpiece by the Bluetooth electronics... you cannot see light through them). Grado points out that they block 60% more of the sound between inside and out as the regular wired open Grados.

They sound spacious and open, with as much ability to present a bass line as my Sennheiser Momentum 2 AEBT (Around Ear Blue Tooth), but with more spacious openness, wider sound stage, and more treble bite (though not as much as wired Grados).

Their Bluetooth pairs easily, does not drop out, and works at least up to the 10 meter distance that they advertise. They are very comfortable to wear, mainly due to their lightness and the choice of flat pads.

I am amused when reviewers fulminate and harrumph about the fact that these are open. It is like buying a red Ferrari and then complaining that it is so... red! As these reviewers note, because they are open, you can both hear and be heard by the outside world (though not as much as most open headphones). If you are using these for commutes on public transportation in close quarters with others, that can be a problem. However, if you are walking, you get both the better sound and the ability to hear approaching danger, e.g., cars, more easily, and if you are inside, you can be in a quiet environment and enjoy being untethered by a wire. I love my Audeze, iSine 20 IEMs, my Apple Ear Pods and Air Pods for the same reason... I can remain aware of my surroundings and I am not often in a loud environment close to other people.

The Grado GW100s occupy a special place in my collection of wireless headphones, which include the Sennheiser Momentum 2 AEBT mentioned earlier, the Parrot Zik, the V-MODA Crossfade Wireless, and the Sennheiser PXT 310BT folding shirt-pocket-portable Bluetooths. I use the GW100s more than any others.

Very nice. I have tried several wireless headphones and have been generally unimpressed with the sound quality. And, most of them seem to have very fussy controls. I like the simplicity of the Grado version. I don't have an immediate need for wireless headphones but am glad to have these impressions of the Grado GW100 from folks who follow this thread should my needs change.

On another subject, I am loving my GS1000i. Over the past few days, I have done some comparisons to the RS2e on familiar recordings...early impressions indicate that I probably don't need to hang on to the RS2e. Can't imagine they are going to get much head time going forward. We'll see. The GS1000i are a nice compliment to the HF2.

Jan 7, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #40,683 of 65,615
Dang, it got quiet in here. Everyone listening too much to come in here and post? lol

Jan 7, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #40,685 of 65,615
Alternating between Bluegrass and Melodic Deathmetal this morning. Gotta keep on your toes :)
GH2_Asgard2_01.jpg

Jan 7, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #40,686 of 65,615
Dang, it got quiet in here. Everyone listening too much to come in here and post? lol

I think it is just all the working people are back at work. I noticed that a lot of forums are quieter.

Shane D

Jan 7, 2020 at 3:43 PM Post #40,687 of 65,615
Keeping in the vein of woody headphones, I am currently enjoying my newest addition to the collection:

TH610.jpg

Jan 14, 2020 at 9:05 PM Post #40,689 of 65,615
Thanks. Is there a trick for removing the black end cap on the rod in order to attach the collars? Are they glued on?

Just pull them off.

Shane D

Jan 14, 2020 at 10:49 PM Post #40,690 of 65,615
Thanks. Is there a trick for removing the black end cap on the rod in order to attach the collars? Are they glued on?
Yes, they're glued on, and some are harder than others to remove. If you have an issue pulling them off, try heating the up with a hairdryer. If by chance you ruin them replace them with these.
I don't even glue mine back on, I just slip them on and they don't go anywhere.

Jan 14, 2020 at 10:52 PM Post #40,691 of 65,615
Yes, they're glued on, and some are harder than others to remove. If you have an issue pulling them off, try heating the up with a hairdryer. If by chance you ruin them replace them with these.
I don't even glue mine back on, I just slip them on and they don't go anywhere.

They must have been sloppy on mine then, because they came right off.

Shane D

Jan 14, 2020 at 11:05 PM Post #40,693 of 65,615
Some definitely have more glue than others.
I've actually ruined some taking them off even after heating them a bit.

Mine both slipped off easily, which I must say, surprised me.

Shane D

Jan 14, 2020 at 11:36 PM Post #40,694 of 65,615
I was just randomly thinking, I really wish Schiit made an Asgard sized Loki in black. As it stands now, not sure how I can fit anything else on my computer desk, so side by side setup isn't going to work. Stacking it on top of the Asgard with all its heat is not idea, either. And putting it underneath would not be very balanced, plus the whole silver vs black thing.. Otherwise, it seems like a perfect piece of additional gear for me to tweak around with, especially for the price! I bet if they created a Loki with the Asgard chassis, added an input switch in the back (maybe just two total inputs?), and offered it in black it'd fly off the shelves for even $200. Plus this way, I could even integrate it into my stereo system downstairs and would be tempted to buy two!

Jan 14, 2020 at 11:54 PM Post #40,695 of 65,615
I was just randomly thinking, I really wish Schiit made an Asgard sized Loki in black. As it stands now, not sure how I can fit anything else on my computer desk, so side by side setup isn't going to work. Stacking it on top of the Asgard with all its heat is not idea, either. And putting it underneath would not be very balanced, plus the whole silver vs black thing.. Otherwise, it seems like a perfect piece of additional gear for me to tweak around with, especially for the price! I bet if they created a Loki with the Asgard chassis, added an input switch in the back (maybe just two total inputs?), and offered it in black it'd fly off the shelves for even $200. Plus this way, I could even integrate it into my stereo system downstairs and would be tempted to buy two!

When the desk fills up, you build upward.:grin:

20191206_150634.jpg

Shane D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back