Grado Fan Club!
Nov 4, 2019 at 7:22 AM Post #40,501 of 65,687
So what daps do you grado users use and what type of music do you listen to?

I'm a dinosaur, both age wise & how I listen to music which is, still listening to CDs; no downloaded music at all. Besides my CD player, the Teac PD-H600, I also use a tonal adjuster, either the JDS Labs Subjective3 or the Schiit Loki. My amplifier is the very underrated & excellent Violectric V100 HPA.

http://audio.teac.com/product/pd-h600/

I mostly listen to Classic Rock (nothing heavy anymore) and a lot of Blues (Delta, Chicago & modern) with the occasional Jazz album (West Coast Jazz & Soft Jazz).

The Grado heaphone I listen w/ is the GS1000i and RS1 w/ buttons (occasionally).

I also listen w/ Senns HD600, HD650, Hifiman HE500 & Beyers DT880/ 600ohms.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #40,502 of 65,687
What do you think of the HF3's?
I like them...I will likely keep them and use them at the office. Compared to RS2e...and keep in mid that the differences are not huge for any one category I have chosen to rate. I am simply indicating my preference. All listening done from headphone out on my Sony receiver/Onkyo C7030 CD player.

Bass: HF3 > Rs2e
Mids: HF3 = RS2e
Treble: HF3 < RS2e (and, HF3 <<< SR325)
Soundstage: HF3 = RS2e (mostly width, but I would say that is typical for Grado's)
Clarity: HF3 < RS2e (detail retrieval and/or separation of components in the music)

Very highly recommended at this price point. I think they came pretty close to what I consider to be a really excellent headphone in the RS2e...for sure one of the best I have ever heard.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2019 at 4:45 PM Post #40,504 of 65,687
So what daps do you grado users use and what type of music do you listen to?
For my Grados (and I have and use nearly all of the Grado models), I use the Lotoo PAW Gold (my favorite), Chord Hugo driven either by FiiO X5iii, X5ii, or iPod Touch, or for balanced use, the Sony NW-WM1A. I focus on small-ensemble traditional jazz, symphonic and choral classical, and female pop.

Nov 4, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #40,505 of 65,687
This is very interesting, grado are always recommend for rock but people use them for all sorts of music. I am a fan, I own 60e and 325e. I'm after an upgrade for my evening listening using either a Cayin n8 or lotoo paw gold touch. I listen to lots of metal but also jazz, classical and rock. What would be a great grado for me?

Nov 4, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #40,506 of 65,687
This is very interesting, grado are always recommend for rock but people use them for all sorts of music. I am a fan, I own 60e and 325e. I'm after an upgrade for my evening listening using either a Cayin n8 or lotoo paw gold touch. I listen to lots of metal but also jazz, classical and rock. What would be a great grado for me?

My favourites are my GH2's. Pretty hard to find, but some people still come up with them. I can go from Miles Davis to Trombone Shorty to Dave Matthews to Florence and the Machine to Steely Dan to Christone "Kingfish Ingram (new blues guy) and I don't feel like I am missing anything. Occasionally, I will feel the music is a bit bass light, depending on the type. For that I have a Schiit Loki. So for me, they are the perfect headphone.

Shane D

Nov 4, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #40,507 of 65,687
grado are great for various music actually, maybe not so much for EDM but rock and metal really make grado shine compare to other brands especially for flagships model. or maybe i'm just prefer aggressive sound for rock/metal to most of the flagships that sound just way too smooth

personally i love ps1000e, i listen mainly rock and metal but when i need/want different vibes i listen to other genres also, jazz works great with ps1000e. i'm not really sure with classical since i'm not really familiar with strings or piano sounds so i have no idea about their tonality in real life compare to the recordings. the main concern of ps1000e would be the weight. i still haven't try their update gs-series so i can't really tell. if one of gs-series model could sound just like ps1000e that would be a dream for me

Nov 4, 2019 at 6:36 PM Post #40,508 of 65,687
I like them...I will likely keep them and use them at the office. Compared to RS2e...and keep in mid that the differences are not huge for any one category I have chosen to rate. I am simply indicating my preference. All listening done from headphone out on my Sony receiver/Onkyo C7030 CD player.

Bass: HF3 > Rs2e
Mids: HF3 = RS2e
Treble: HF3 < RS2e (and, HF3 <<< SR325)
Soundstage: HF3 = RS2e (mostly width, but I would say that is typical for Grado's)
Clarity: HF3 < RS2e (detail retrieval and/or separation of components in the music)

Very highly recommended at this price point. I think they came pretty close to what I consider to be a really excellent headphone in the RS2e...for sure one of the best I have ever heard.
Thank for your succinct comparison. I ordered mine about ten days ago but have yet to receive any shipping confirmation from Grado Labs. How long did it take them to ship yours out?

Nov 4, 2019 at 7:13 PM Post #40,509 of 65,687
Thank for your succinct comparison. I ordered mine about ten days ago but have yet to receive any shipping confirmation from Grado Labs. How long did it take them to ship yours out?
Full disclosure, I bought them second hand from a fellow Head-fi’er. Surprised that you order is taking so long to process. Strange in these AmAzon days that other online retailers are still so slow. I purchased my RS2e and SR325e from a local audio shop, and have never ordered direct from Grado. Hope you enjoy the HF3. I’ll be interested to hear about your experience.

Nov 4, 2019 at 9:57 PM Post #40,511 of 65,687
My favourites are my GH2's. Pretty hard to find, but some people still come up with them. I can go from Miles Davis to Trombone Shorty to Dave Matthews to Florence and the Machine to Steely Dan to Christone "Kingfish Ingram (new blues guy) and I don't feel like I am missing anything. Occasionally, I will feel the music is a bit bass light, depending on the type. For that I have a Schiit Loki. So for me, they are the perfect headphone.

Grados are almost untouched for openness, a highly regarded property for headphone listening IMO. I am totally happy with the GH4 and a Hafler HA15. Very simpatico; both are open, detailed and dynamic. The non head-fi audiophiles I've demonstrated them to were enthralled.

I've read a couple of opinions by people who say the GH2 and GH4 are very close in sound quality.

Nov 4, 2019 at 10:04 PM Post #40,512 of 65,687
Grados are almost untouched for openness, a highly regarded property for headphone listening IMO. I am totally happy with the GH4 and a Hafler HA15. Very simpatico; both are open, detailed and dynamic. The non head-fi audiophiles I've demonstrated them to were enthralled.

I've read a couple of opinions by people who say the GH2 and GH4 are very close in sound quality.

I like them with all my amps, except for my LCX as I can't use them balanced.
They sound great with Burson Fun-Classic.
Also very nice with my new Liquid Spark and just amazing with my new-to-me Vali 2.
Only amp that I had that didn't sound great with them was the Loxjie P20 and that didn't sound great with any of my 'phones.

Have you ever tried the HA75? Supposed to be QUITE an amp.

Shane D

Nov 4, 2019 at 11:30 PM Post #40,513 of 65,687

I have a Hafler HA15 for sale if anyone interested.

Nov 5, 2019 at 7:47 AM Post #40,515 of 65,687
For my Grados (and I have and use nearly all of the Grado models), I use the Lotoo PAW Gold (my favorite), Chord Hugo driven either by FiiO X5iii, X5ii, or iPod Touch, or for balanced use, the Sony NW-WM1A. I focus on small-ensemble traditional jazz, symphonic and choral classical, and female pop.
I'm thinking of getting GS2000e. Are these a good option for multi genre. Mainly metal? Or should I consider a different grado?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back