Grado Fan Club!
Nov 6, 2019 at 11:03 PM Post #40,531 of 65,471
There is a guy on Canuck Audio Mart right now selling the GS2000e's for $900.00. List up here is about $1,900.00 for those. Good deal, if you're in the market.

It was worse for me LOL, I bought it for Canadian MSRP at $1950, plus there was 13% tax on top of that, so $2203.50. Getting that lightly used GS3ke for $1450 CAD earlier in the year was such a hot deal that I jumped on it almost immediately. (A new one after tax costs a whopping $2712 CAD.) Thanks for alerting me to it!

The CAM ad isn't mine, but I have been thinking of selling my GS2ke. We'll see if this person's GS2ke moves at $900. If not, well, that's a real damning indicator of its reputation...

The GS3Ke is an evolutionary improvement. Textured, dynamic, lush while having impact and amazing transparency, and more satisfying low bass than the other Grados (the PS2000e is very refined, but doesn't "breathe" like the GS3Ke.)

The hype is real, mortcola prefers the GS3ke over the PS2ke. I do, too.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2019 at 4:43 AM Post #40,532 of 65,471
I have both....the GS2000 is a very good headphone....the GS3000e is simply the most satisfying pair of cans I've ever heard (I've had or heard in detail many of the best), I've owned all the Professional series, and the difference between the two statement models is not subtle. The GS3Ke is an evolutionary improvement. Textured, dynamic, lush while having impact and amazing transparency, and more satisfying low bass than the other Grados (the PS2000e is very refined, but doesn't "breathe" like the GS3Ke.). To me it a no-brainer - if you're spending big bucks already, take the next step.

As an undisputed fan of the GS1000i, which in my opinion has a rather bright and extremely transparent and spacious sound signature, I ask myself whether the GS3000e does not have a too dark sound, so that the GS2000e might be the better choice for me? Does the GS3000e reproduce fading cymbals as accurately as the GS1000i?

Nov 7, 2019 at 10:50 AM Post #40,533 of 65,471
It was worse for me LOL, I bought it for Canadian MSRP at $1950, plus there was 13% tax on top of that, so $2203.50 CAD. Getting that lightly used GS3000e for $1450 CAD earlier in the year was such a hot deal that I jumped on it almost immediately. Thanks for alerting me to it!

Yeah $900.00 vs $2,203.50 is quite a deal.

Shane D

Nov 7, 2019 at 12:37 PM Post #40,534 of 65,471
Does the GS3000e reproduce fading cymbals as accurately as the GS1000i?

As an owner of both, The GS3000e beats the GS1000i by a long shot(Drums&cymbalsare incredible on the 3000e) and I love my GS1000i, but it can't hold a candle to the transparency and resolution of the 3000e. The GS3000e has become my favorite Grado headphone. Period. Is it worth the money? That's for you to decide but dang do they sound good with everything. I have never had a headphone that sounds so good I forget to be nitpicky. Could I complain that I wish it had a little more bass impact maybe...but everything else is so perfect I forget the minute the recording comes on and the bass continues to get better and better. Also, I'm not saying I thought the GS2000e is a bad headphone, but I didn't care for it at all. The tone was off for me. For me I would take the GS1000i any day but the 3000e is king right now. The PS2000e might best it but it was heavy:) but it just didn't have as warm a tone as the 3000e does while still retaining an incredible amount of detail and transparency. just my .02 cents:)

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2019 at 1:52 PM Post #40,535 of 65,471
As an owner of both, The GS3000e beats the GS1000i by a long shot(Drums&cymbalsare incredible on the 3000e) and I love my GS1000i, but it can't hold a candle to the transparency and resolution of the 3000e. The GS3000e has become my favorite Grado headphone. Period. Is it worth the money? That's for you to decide but dang do they sound good with everything. I have never had a headphone that sounds so good I forget to be nitpicky. Could I complain that I wish it had a little more bass impact maybe...but everything else is so perfect I forget the minute the recording comes on and the bass continues to get better and better. Also, I'm not saying I thought the GS2000e is a bad headphone, but I didn't care for it at all. The tone was off for me. For me I would take the GS1000i any day but the 3000e is king right now. The 2000e might best it but it was heavy:) but it just didn't have as warm a tone as the 3000e does while still retaining an incredible amount of detail and transparency. just my .02 cents:)
Staaahhp it with all this GS3000e talk. I like my GS2000e and have to save up for a new turntable

Nov 7, 2019 at 1:58 PM Post #40,536 of 65,471
Maybe I sound like a stuck CD, but the 3000e is head, shoulders, and torso above every headphone I have ever listened to; One reason I am willing to use this kind of language is that they are so much more satisfying on the basis of musical, emotional engagement, compared to the models we are talking about.

I am loyal to the brand but I appreciate other approaches to audio; I’ve had very good Sennheiser and Audeze... I’ve spent many months with all of the mid range and statement and professional models by Grado. There is no parameter in which the 3000 is not just “better“ but on a visceral level more satisfying. I’ve given up much-needed sleep in order to listen to “just one more thing”. For all of the well-deserved praise and high regard of the 1000 and 2000 in both the statement and professional ranges, I’ve simply never been as transfixed by music as I have been through these headphones, the 3000e. Sumptuous tonality, often downright bizarre level of transparency… The lower frequencies are somewhat deeper and Fuller, was excellent pitch and definition, compared to the other models.

The decay of the ride cymbal is not just a go to indicator of audio performance, but, as a drummer, I absolutely love the sound and infinite, delicate attack, decay, and harmonics coming from drums and cymbals played by different, good players. You will hear that diminishing shimmer and pitch and harmonic overtones for as long as your ears are capable of discerning them

Yes, I must sound like a guy unrealistically smitten with his new girlfriend, but she hasn’t wavered a bit.

I will present it as an objective fact that the 3000e is a dramatically more sensitive, revealing, and acoustically rich transducer than any other device we discussed here;

Some review were called the 1000 the best transducer made by humans. I’ll call it an objective fact that the 3000 has both far greater resolution, but also sensitivity to the full harmonic and dynamic elements of music. Like I said elsewhere, it’s not subtle. Get them in balanced form if you can

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2019 at 2:46 PM Post #40,537 of 65,471
Maybe I sound like a stuck CD, but the 3000e is head, shoulders, and torso above every headphone I have ever listened to; One reason I am willing to use this kind of language is that they are so much more satisfying on the basis of musical, emotional engagement, compared to the models we are talking about.

I am loyal to the brand but I appreciate other approaches to audio; I’ve had very good Sennheiser and Audeze... I’ve spent many months with all of the mid range and statement and professional models by Grado. There is no parameter in which the 3000 is not just “better“ but on a visceral level more satisfying. I’ve given up much-needed sleep in order to listen to “just one more thing”. For all of the well-deserved praise and high regard of the 1000 and 2000 in both the statement and professional ranges, I’ve simply never been as transfixed by music as I have been through these headphones, the 3000e. Sumptuous tonality, often downright bizarre level of transparency… The lower frequencies are somewhat deeper and Fuller, was excellent pitch and definition, compared to the other models.

The decay of the ride cymbal is not just a go to indicator of audio performance, but, as a drummer, I absolutely love the sound and infinite, delicate attack, decay, and harmonics coming from drums and cymbals played by different, good players. You will hear that diminishing shimmer and pitch and harmonic overtones for as long as your ears are capable of discerning them

Yes, I must sound like a guy unrealistically smitten with his new girlfriend, but she hasn’t wavered a bit.

I will present it as an objective fact that the 3000e is a dramatically more sensitive, revealing, and acoustically rich transducer than any other device we discussed here; one reviewer, excerpted byGrado, Has called the 1000 the best transducer made by humans, maybe I paraphrase. The 3000 has much, much greater resolution compared to the models we are talking about, you will hear that diminishing shimmer pitch and harmonic overtones for as long as your ears are capable of discerning them.

Some review were called the 1000 the best transducer made by humans. I’ll call it an objective fact that the 3000 has both far greater resolution, but also sensitivity to the full harmonic and dynamic elements of music. Like I said elsewhere, it’s not subtle. Get them in balanced form if you can

Now you're just rubbing it in :D

I struggled saving up full price for my tower speakers (sadly, they went on clearance for <50% about 4 months after I paid full price) and amp / preamp combo years back. Took me a couple paychecks to save up for my used GH2s, and reading about the GS3000e (which I know is completely out of my range) is giving me equipment envy, haha. Luckily, my manager is doing his best to get me hired on full time (currently a contractor) within the next month and a half, which will result in a sizable salary increase. I've been telling myself a good desktop amp is the first priority, but the Quad ERA-1s look fantastic too. Oh, and I have another baby on the way. Priorities, hmm??

Nov 7, 2019 at 3:35 PM Post #40,538 of 65,471
Now you're just rubbing it in :D

I struggled saving up full price for my tower speakers (sadly, they went on clearance for <50% about 4 months after I paid full price) and amp / preamp combo years back. Took me a couple paychecks to save up for my used GH2s, and reading about the GS3000e (which I know is completely out of my range) is giving me equipment envy, haha. Luckily, my manager is doing his best to get me hired on full time (currently a contractor) within the next month and a half, which will result in a sizable salary increase. I've been telling myself a good desktop amp is the first priority, but the Quad ERA-1s look fantastic too. Oh, and I have another baby on the way. Priorities, hmm??

I apologize. Compensating for equipment envy has taken up a lot of my life (and credit score). Debt or high-end equipment?!? I'll retire in a trailer with a dynamite desk-top system....

Nov 7, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #40,539 of 65,471
It was worse for me LOL, I bought it for Canadian MSRP at $1950, plus there was 13% tax on top of that, so $2203.50. Getting that lightly used GS3ke for $1450 CAD earlier in the year was such a hot deal that I jumped on it almost immediately. (A new one after tax costs a whopping $2712 CAD.) Thanks for alerting me to it!

Did you try to negotiate at all? When I decided that I wanted the GH2's, I knew that I would never be able to test them out in person. I sent emails to every Grado dealer in Canada that I could find. The list was $949.00, plus tax (15%). I got two replies that offered to do "tax free". I ordered from www.audiow3.com in Quebec. Dealt with the owner who was a very nice guy.
The current price on the GS3000e is $2,399.00, plus tax. Yikes! Even tax free is way out of my range.

He currently has a PS1000e open box for $1,299.00 VS $2,199.00 list.

Luckily for me, nobody around here stocks high end headphones. While I whine about having no local options to test out new 'phones, it's probably for the best.:slight_smile:

Shane D

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2019 at 5:54 PM Post #40,540 of 65,471
Just ordered the RS2e from Amazon, £449 new after I offered £425 for a pair on Ebay and the seller refused and wanted the same price

Nov 7, 2019 at 5:56 PM Post #40,541 of 65,471
Just ordered the RS2e from Amazon, £449 new after I offered £425 for a pair on Ebay and the seller refused and wanted the same price

It seems to have a great reputation.

Shane D

Nov 7, 2019 at 6:58 PM Post #40,542 of 65,471
Hope you enjoy them. The RS2e are my favorite Grado’s, but I have been spending a good deal of time listening with the HF3, lately.

Nov 7, 2019 at 7:17 PM Post #40,543 of 65,471
Hope you enjoy them. The RS2e are my favorite Grado’s, but I have been spending a good deal of time listening with the HF3, lately.

What other Grados do you have in your stable? I'm excited to get the loaner pair of HF3s from Todd soon, and I wonder how they compare to the GH2s. I know @Shane D loves them as much as I do, and I'm guessing it will be hard to beat. The only other one I have used is the GW100, which is a bit more "bumpy" across the spectrum (very little sub-bass, big bump in the upper bass and low mids, then a gradual roll off probably around 6-8K). The reviews I've seen of the HF3 make it sound like a great contender for a woody in its price class.

What would you say are it's strong points, e.g. bass / treble, imaging, speed, etc.?

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2019 at 7:25 PM Post #40,544 of 65,471
Full disclosure, I bought them second hand from a fellow Head-fi’er. Surprised that you order is taking so long to process. Strange in these AmAzon days that other online retailers are still so slow.
I sent an inquiry to the vendor about the HF3 I ordered 16 days ago. Apparently, my order slipped through the cracks at Grado Lab's and they told the vendor that they will ship it out tomorrow. Maybe I should ask for a carrying case due to the delay.

Nov 7, 2019 at 7:54 PM Post #40,545 of 65,471
What other Grados do you have in your stable? I'm excited to get the loaner pair of HF3s from Todd soon, and I wonder how they compare to the GH2s. I know @Shane D loves them as much as I do, and I'm guessing it will be hard to beat. The only other one I have used is the GW100, which is a bit more "bumpy" across the spectrum (very little sub-bass, big bump in the upper bass and low mids, then a gradual roll off probably around 6-8K). The reviews I've seen of the HF3 make it sound like a great contender for a woody in its price class.

What would you say are it's strong points, e.g. bass / treble, imaging, speed, etc.?

I made this comparison between the HF3 and RS2e in an earlier post. Not as comprehensive as the comparisons done by @ruthieandjohn, but...

Bass: HF3 > Rs2e
Mids: HF3 = RS2e
Treble: HF3 < RS2e (and, HF3 <<< SR325)
Soundstage: HF3 = RS2e (mostly width, but I would say that is typical for Grado's)
Clarity: HF3 < RS2e (detail retrieval and/or separation of components in the music)

I have heard most Grado’s. We have a local shop that carries the full line and I have spent a good bit of time there. For the money, and given my hearing limitations (old ears and too many Who concerts over the years) I thought the RS2e were ideal. So, they form the basis of all my headphone comparisons. The HF3 is as close to the RS2e as I have heard. I also have SR325e and SE125i modded with wood cups.

I recently spent a couple hours with the GS1000e and liked those as well, but not enough to drop $1000...at least not at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back