Grado Fan Club!
Dec 13, 2017 at 5:39 AM Post #36,961 of 65,682
I agree with you about Grado not going to CanJam because I've never heard them mentioned at all from following the CanJam threads. It would also definitely be strange if Grado didn't go to NYC, so you and @ranfan are probably right about other vendors just using Grados at their booths.

I always found it quite interesting that Grado did/does very little advertising.

Dec 13, 2017 at 7:21 AM Post #36,962 of 65,682
Grado does not advertise in the traditional sense, but they become the subject of very interesting interviews from various lifestyle and business publications and videos. Somehow it goes along with their word-of-mouth approach of other folk saying great things about Grado (rather than Grado itself!)

Dec 13, 2017 at 8:23 AM Post #36,963 of 65,682
Grado does not advertise in the traditional sense, but they become the subject of very interesting interviews from various lifestyle and business publications and videos. Somehow it goes along with their word-of-mouth approach of other folk saying great things about Grado (rather than Grado itself!)

i think that just started when jonathan took the social media roles, before that it just mouth to mouth, magazine reviews, and some musician wearing their headphones. first time i encountered grado, probably around 2004-2005, i was reading gadget magazine and they did some headphone coverage, i thought this headphones looks very cool and i bought some audio magazine, there were some must to buy list and grado headphones was there, i think it was sr325 gold and gs1000, the price was mind blowing, what kind of headphone cost this much. then i googled grado, there was some sr60 review on stereophile. i think that's more effective way to get people attention rather than just regular advertising,i rarely look advertising, especially on magazine, it's really wasting space

Dec 13, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #36,966 of 65,682
Hi. Just bought a pair of sr 200. Haven't recived them yet and have no clue about what kind of driver it has. So, how many different drivers was really put inside these headphones? I will post a picture of the driver when i have them.

nice! congrats!

maybe three. the blackstar, white driver,and pink driver.i never seen pink driver on sr200 though

btw, there is another way to advertising product. there was a book about audio/sound, i really forget the book title and i can't find the book cover image on internet right now, but the cover pretty much an old man wearing headphone.and you knew.you knew what headphone he is wearing if you're a fans of this brand. the headphone pretty much look like this

David-Sonnenschein.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2017 at 8:41 PM Post #36,967 of 65,682
While my very first "audiophile" headphone was a grade SR60, I've spent the last few years with headphones like the Foster TH900, Audioquest Nightowl, and Sony MDR-Z1R....and I just purchased a Klipsch HP-3 to try out. Yes I like a warm headphone.

However, recently a friend lent me his Grado SR80e to listen to. What a delight! It was a palate cleanser for the ears. I forgot the joys of a more immediate clear headphones....mostly because I was hunting for thumping base above all else. Truthfully even the bass of the Grado's was a pleasant surprise...no it's not subterranean like the Fostex's but it is clear and very enjoyable. Anyhow I was so enthralled, I just bought a pair of Grado RS2e. I did a bunch of internet research and these seemed to be a beloved dark horse of the line. Well, I love them. Just what I need, when I need a break from my warmer headphones.

Dec 13, 2017 at 9:10 PM Post #36,968 of 65,682
While my very first "audiophile" headphone was a grade SR60, I've spent the last few years with headphones like the Foster TH900, Audioquest Nightowl, and Sony MDR-Z1R....and I just purchased a Klipsch HP-3 to try out. Yes I like a warm headphone.

However, recently a friend lent me his Grado SR80e to listen to. What a delight! It was a palate cleanser for the ears. I forgot the joys of a more immediate clear headphones....mostly because I was hunting for thumping base above all else. Truthfully even the bass of the Grado's was a pleasant surprise...no it's not subterranean like the Fostex's but it is clear and very enjoyable. Anyhow I was so enthralled, I just bought a pair of Grado RS2e. I did a bunch of internet research and these seemed to be a beloved dark horse of the line. Well, I love them. Just what I need, when I need a break from my warmer headphones.
Love my RS2e also. Try some generic G-pads (not the $30-40 Grado G-pads) on them, a bit more comfortable and as a bonus they boost the bass 1-2dB and give a slightly better sound stage. You might also want to consider some of the alternative drivers that have come out like the Ypsilon G1 if you like the Grado sound but with a bit more bass.

Dec 13, 2017 at 10:39 PM Post #36,969 of 65,682
Just got a phone message from my Grado dealer Overture Audio that my “toys” (PS2000e and GS2000e, both balanced) have ARRIVED! Guess where I will be driving (through our blizzard!) tomorrow?

Dec 14, 2017 at 12:21 AM Post #36,970 of 65,682
Just got a phone message from my Grado dealer Overture Audio that my “toys” (PS2000e and GS2000e, both balanced) have ARRIVED! Guess where I will be driving (through our blizzard!) tomorrow?

Congrats and even though you are undoubtedly pumped and anxious to pick up the phones, drive safely. I remember driving through a crazy snowstorm to pick up my brand new Prophet 5 synthesizer back in 1980 (in a car that cost about one-fifth what the keyboard did). All ended well but if not for the holy grail at the airport, common sense would have dictated that I wait a day.

:)

Enjoy!

Dec 14, 2017 at 3:53 AM Post #36,971 of 65,682

Happy listening over there! Similar experience here, the SR80e was my first 'audiophile' headphone back in the days. I love it very much, and listened to it every night. It was a really pleasant sound, and experience. All other headphones before sounded dull in comparison, due to SR80e's mighty clarity. Consequently I bought the SR125e, and SR225e from a local website in used condition. Small differences, but the sound keeps improving upwards. Now I currently have the RS2e, and the sound is stunning. Beautiful balanced tone between bass, mids, and treble. Pretty accurate timbre, and vocal sound. And super transparent. :thumbsup: Loving it so much, and listening to it every night again like my first SR80e. :)

Love my RS2e also. Try some generic G-pads (not the $30-40 Grado G-pads) on them, a bit more comfortable and as a bonus they boost the bass 1-2dB and give a slightly better sound stage. You might also want to consider some of the alternative drivers that have come out like the Ypsilon G1 if you like the Grado sound but with a bit more bass.
Thanks for the tips. I'll try the RS2e with G-pads soon. It'd be great for the RS2e to increase the volume/density of its notes a bit by lifting the bass. And the soundstage improvement is always welcome IMO.

Balanced, wow. Great news! My PS2000e too will arrive at the shop today. Although there is no GS2000e for me, looks like we'll be having fun tomorrow. :D

Be safe out there.

Dec 14, 2017 at 4:03 AM Post #36,972 of 65,682
Thanks for the tips. I'll try the RS2e with G-pads soon. It'd be great for the RS2e to increase the volume/density of its notes a bit by lifting the bass. And the soundstage improvement is always welcome IMO.

Balanced, wow. Great news! My PS2000e too will arrive at the shop today. Although there is no GS2000e for me, looks like we'll be having fun tomorrow. :D

Be safe out there.

the G-pad, @DavidA mentioned is the china pad, not genuine grado pad. and from my undersntading they have a few variants of their pads, so you might want to buy a few g-pads to get the right one.orrrrrr

maybe you want to try this one https://www.beautifulaudio.biz . i never tried this and there are still no impression about this pad from members on this thread. perhaps you want to be the first one :D the pads look great though, the price... not so much, but it does looks really cool

you must be really excited, i'm sure you're going to have a great weekend

Dec 14, 2017 at 9:13 AM Post #36,973 of 65,682
maybe you want to try this one https://www.beautifulaudio.biz . i never tried this and there are still no impression about this pad from members on this thread. perhaps you want to be the first one :D the pads look great though, the price... not so much, but it does looks really cool
I would like to hear from that member as well who originally posted about these pads. If I recall, he said he was going to let us know his impressions, and he might have had something to do with the company? Are you around to possibly give your impressions?

Dec 14, 2017 at 9:16 AM Post #36,974 of 65,682
the G-pad, @DavidA mentioned is the china pad, not genuine grado pad. and from my undersntading they have a few variants of their pads, so you might want to buy a few g-pads to get the right one.orrrrrr

you must be really excited, i'm sure you're going to have a great weekend
Thanks for your recommendation. I already sent them an email just now, which do you recommend? The Merino, or Leather, or both? Both look good, and comfy. :) They're from NZ, so not very far from here.

merino+brown.jpg

black+leather.jpg

edit: I probably will buy both and resell the one I like less. Hehe.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #36,975 of 65,682
I would like to hear from that member as well who originally posted about these pads. If I recall, he said he was going to let us know his impressions, and he might have had something to do with the company? Are you around to possibly give your impressions?

i remembered there were 2 members said they already ordered the pads and waiting for it to be arrived and then no more update :D

Thanks for your recommendation. I already sent them an email just now, which do you recommend? The Merino, or Leather, or both? Both look good, and comfy. :) They're from NZ, so not very far from here.

edit: I probably will buy both and resell the one I like less. Hehe.

lol. i really have no idea which one is better but for my taste and my assumption, i think merino would be more comfort and looks classier, matched well with wooden grado appearance. as for sound, honestly i don't expect much but i'm hoping, i'm really hoping at the very least they won't alter the sound that much, if that's the case, i think this pad would be very great for on-ear grado since they really do look cool

Users who are viewing this thread

Back