Grado Fan Club!
Dec 6, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #36,931 of 65,685
Honestly, with the Ether, I think it depends on the amp.

I auditioned the Ether Flow with a Bryston BHA-1 and I was blown away. More than I wanted to spend, so I passed, but really... was incredible.
I tried the Ether and Ether C with Liquid Glass, Hugo TT, DarkStar, MHA-100 and Red Wine Isabellina and a few other amps so maybe the Bryston BHA-1 just has better synergy than those other amps but I think its more my hearing that doesn't care for the tuning of Mr Speaker headphones and I haven't tried the new Flow versions with those amps so who knows, I might like them :ksc75smile:

Dec 6, 2017 at 10:14 PM Post #36,932 of 65,685
there was a time in my local forum community, every headphones, the hard to drive especially or flagships, or like you have to use this amp to that headphone otherwise the headphone not going to sounds great scenario. except hifiman he-6 or sennheiser hd650 because they prefer to drive it from speaker amp. they using either of these 2 amps, like it's the de facto must used amps.i can't really tell is it a good amp or not. i don't have enough experience with amplifier, i only knew it is expensive amplifiers

http://www.masskobo.com
http://www.bakoon.com

i forgot which one in the system,i auditioned for original ethers, i only remembered it priced around 3000usd and that was their mid end products. i wasn't impressed, just like david said probably the tuning.and even if it's sounds good, if i have to spend much more money on amplifier and tinkering which amplifier going to have great synergy on an already expensive headphones. it's probably not worth for me.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2017 at 3:09 AM Post #36,933 of 65,685
did your ps2000e arrive yet? if so, that's very quick

i didn't notice it before but in that video i was posted, at chorus part there is some bass line melody, the bass blend/bleed into mid range. the instrument separation and layering become less apparent if that make sense. up to this moment, that song and some other japanese band( i forget which song i need to check it later ) are the ones that very noticeable about that. it could be the mixing, i'm not familiar about their recording to be honest, when i listened to that song again after a very long time since last time i listened. i just found out there is interesting bass line in that song with ps1000e, and then the more i listened i was confused the bass kinda blend into other instrument, is it just me, is it the ps1000e, is it the mixing. i don't know.i want to try to listen to it with other headphones, non grado headphones but i remembered if i change headphone i need to readjust volume pot, and since my amp doesn't use stepped attenuator, it will be really hard to turn it back to its first position. like i mentioned it before i'm still in honeymoon period with this low volume listening level :D
Ah, I see. Especially for old songs, this could be a common issue. But it could also be the headphone, not sure. It may also be their instrument, which sounds like that, and Grado accurately portrays it as it is. I'll try listening to that song. For now, please enjoy your honeymoon. Lol. :)

The PS2000e is on its way to Singapore. I have a friend who could pick it up this weekend, and bring here. The shop owner said it takes one week to send, so after confirming, he said it should arrive soon. (No tax, baby :D)

Dec 7, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #36,935 of 65,685
Honestly, with the Ether, I think it depends on the amp.

I auditioned the Ether Flow with a Bryston BHA-1 and I was blown away. More than I wanted to spend, so I passed, but really... was incredible.

I have a buddy that had this combo for a good while, he loved it.
I have never heard an Ether before.
I have recently purchased an Atticus...should arrive with in a couple weeks, very excited to give it a spin.

Dec 7, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #36,936 of 65,685
Tried the Aeon Flow open today, and compared it with RS2e. To my ears, they both sound natural, and 'right' in timbre accuracy. Beautiful midrange sound, with smooth treble, and enough bass. The Aeon being planar, has a quicker bass that also hits hard. It's rather flat bass tuning, contrasts the RS2e's more emphasis on sub-mid bass. Due to the Aeon's soundstage being slightly larger in size, its bass notes are positioned better. Both bass have a pretty good definition, and quality. The RS2e on the other hand, has a more natural 'whack', and 'thump' sound to it, that makes it sound more organic. In midrange, the Aeon Flow sounded a bit more dull in comparison with RS2e. Although it's still quite clear, but the RS2e shines/highlights each instruments better IMO. It's slightly brighter on the RS2e, and leaner too. Making the RS2e capable of separating instruments/vocals more effectively than Aeon Flow. The layering ability is similar on both, because the Aeon Flow has a deeper/larger soundstage, while the RS2e has a better separation, and clarity. I tried them both froun AK70II player, and then from an amplifier at the shop. Directly from the player, the RS2e is more efficient, and easy-to-drive. Listening volume on the RS2e is ~80/150, while the Aeon is ~110/150 for the same loudness. Male vocals, and heavy instruments sound a bit better with the Aeon, because they contain more weight, and balance. While leaner sounding female vocals, string, and piano instruments sound better with RS2e because it has a bit more sparkle, and natural sweetness to it. They both have a good non-fatiguing treble. The RS2e having a brighter one, and Aeon a duller one. Certainly for longer listening, the Aeon is more comfortable due to its thicker, soft padding. But for pure SQ, and portability, I favour the RS2e more. They're both good headphones though. YMMV. :thumbsup: (Sorry if my impression is less organized).

Now the Ether on the other hand.. Wow. It's a step up from the Aeon Flow. Sounds simply much better. Especially driven with a proper amp.

P_20171207_201117.jpg

P_20171207_204442.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #36,937 of 65,685
I have recently purchased an Atticus...should arrive with in a couple weeks, very excited to give it a spin.
Congratulations.
Enjoy them!

Tried the Aeon Flow open today, and compared it with RS2e. To my ears, they both sound natural, and 'right' in timbre accuracy. Beautiful midrange sound, with smooth treble, and enough bass. The Aeon being planar, has a quicker bass that also hits hard. It's rather flat bass tuning, contrasts the RS2e's more emphasis on sub-mid bass. Due to the Aeon's soundstage being slightly larger in size, its bass notes are positioned better. Both bass have a pretty good definition, and quality. The RS2e on the other hand, has a more natural 'whack' sound to it, that makes it sound more organic. In midrange, the Aeon Flow sounded a bit more dull in comparison with RS2e. Although it's still quite clear, but the RS2e shines/highlights each instruments better IMO. It's slightly brighter on the RS2e, and leaner too. Making the RS2e capable of separating instruments/vocals more effectively than Aeon Flow. The layering ability is similar on both, because the Aeon Flow has a deeper/larger soundstage, while the RS2e has a better separation, and clarity. I tried them both froun AK70II player, and then from an amplifier at the shop. Directly from the player, the RS2e is more efficient, and easy-to-drive. Listening volume on the RS2e is ~80/150, while the Aeon is ~110/150 for the same loudness. Male vocals, and heavy instruments sound a bit better with the Aeon, because they contain more weight, and balance. While leaner sounding female vocals, string, and piano instruments sound better with RS2e because it has a bit more sparkle, and natural sweetness to it. They both have a good non-fatiguing treble. The RS2e having a brighter one, and Aeon a duller one. Certainly for longer listening, the Aeon is more comfortable due to its thicker, soft padding. But for pure SQ, and portability, I favour the RS2e more. They're both good headphones though. YMMV. :thumbsup: (Sorry if my impression is less organized).

Now the Ether on the other hand.. Wow. It's a step up from the Aeon Flow. Sounds simply much better. Especially driven with a proper amp.

P_20171207_201117.jpg

P_20171207_204442.jpg
It's definitely hard to beat Grado's sound, that's for sure.

Dec 7, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #36,938 of 65,685
Tried the Aeon Flow open today, and compared it with RS2e. To my ears, they both sound natural, and 'right' in timbre accuracy. Beautiful midrange sound, with smooth treble, and enough bass. The Aeon being planar, has a quicker bass that also hits hard. It's rather flat bass tuning, contrasts the RS2e's more emphasis on sub-mid bass. Due to the Aeon's soundstage being slightly larger in size, its bass notes are positioned better. Both bass have a pretty good definition, and quality. The RS2e on the other hand, has a more natural 'whack' sound to it, that makes it sound more organic. In midrange, the Aeon Flow sounded a bit more dull in comparison with RS2e. Although it's still quite clear, but the RS2e shines/highlights each instruments better IMO. It's slightly brighter on the RS2e, and leaner too. Making the RS2e capable of separating instruments/vocals more effectively than Aeon Flow. The layering ability is similar on both, because the Aeon Flow has a deeper/larger soundstage, while the RS2e has a better separation, and clarity. I tried them both froun AK70II player, and then from an amplifier at the shop. Directly from the player, the RS2e is more efficient, and easy-to-drive. Listening volume on the RS2e is ~80/150, while the Aeon is ~110/150 for the same loudness. Male vocals, and heavy instruments sound a bit better with the Aeon, because they contain more weight, and balance. While leaner sounding female vocals, string, and piano instruments sound better with RS2e because it has a bit more sparkle, and natural sweetness to it. They both have a good non-fatiguing treble. The RS2e having a brighter one, and Aeon a duller one. Certainly for longer listening, the Aeon is more comfortable due to its thicker, soft padding. But for pure SQ, and portability, I favour the RS2e more. They're both good headphones though. YMMV. :thumbsup: (Sorry if my impression is less organized).

P_20171207_204442.jpg

i forgot which one is red, is it ether or ether flow?
may i know what amplifier being used for the ether?

Dec 8, 2017 at 7:09 AM Post #36,940 of 65,685
happy Friday all, hope everyone is staying warm this morning. Hope you guys don't mind me posting a bit of music, I've been mostly away from headphones for a few months now and been listening for a few days now, boy how I've missed them! Anyhow, here it goes, this edition of NPR's tiny desk music series always put me in a good mood. Enjoy! :)

Dec 8, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #36,941 of 65,685
i forgot which one is red, is it ether or ether flow?
may i know what amplifier being used for the ether?
Sorry, red one is the Ether. While the black one is Aeon flow. I'm not familiar with amps, and was just trying some random ones at the shop during my demo. I think it was the Sony, or Stax. I forgot/am not sure..

It's definitely hard to beat Grado's sound, that's for sure.
Yes, I agree with you. It just sounds 'right' to my ears. Accurate/almost true to reality. Hard to beat that. Of course, your ears and perception may differ. YMMV.

Dec 8, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #36,942 of 65,685
Sorry, red one is the Ether. While the black one is Aeon flow. I'm not familiar with amps, and was just trying some random ones at the shop during my demo. I think it was the Sony, or Stax. I forgot/am not sure..

probably sony. stax doesn't make dynamic headphone amplifier, is it look like this?
ta-zh1es_11.jpg

btw finally i'm trying that song on other headphones. the chorus part,the bass line. the separation more apparent compare to ps1000e, the bass position far behind though so the volume quite subtle, but i still could hear the bass line more clearly compare to grado, it sure does not bleeding to mid range. however i'm not sure about the tonal maybe it's because i'm very familiar with grado, i don't know...for the separation alone my other headphones could do better for that bass line part but for the whole listening experience, i still prefer ps1000e

headphones that i used for the test:
9405349.jpg

$_72.JPG

Dec 8, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #36,943 of 65,685
probably sony. stax doesn't make dynamic headphone amplifier, is it look like this?
ta-zh1es_11.jpg

btw finally i'm trying that song on other headphones. the chorus part,the bass line. the separation more apparent compare to ps1000e, the bass position far behind though so the volume quite subtle, but i still could hear the bass line more clearly compare to grado, it sure does not bleeding to mid range. however i'm not sure about the tonal maybe it's because i'm very familiar with grado, i don't know...for the separation alone my other headphones could do better for that bass line part but for the whole listening experience, i still prefer ps1000e

headphones that i used for the test:
9405349.jpg

$_72.JPG
Oh great. So you've finished your honeymoon period? :) I see so it wasn't the song file. I guess the PS1000e bass is like that. Yes it looks like that.

Dec 8, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #36,945 of 65,685
Oh great. So you've finished your honeymoon period? :) I see so it wasn't the song file. I guess the PS1000e bass is like that. Yes it looks like that.

lol. i wasn't meant to. but it's been a week, 2 weeks, 3 weeks i don't know ages since the last time i listen metal. in my honeymoon, i'm just listen to rock, jazz, pop, acoustic, and stuff. it was another experience. people are not kidding when they said grado really superb at low level listening volume. i could totally vouch for that. but then i want to hear some metal. i really miss it. and i switch to slipknot. it's sucks!!!! so i turn up the volume and i was like might just test the song with other headphones then :D

@ruhenheiM ,
I can clearly see the large photo of the Quart Phone 85, which really look interesting.
What is the smaller photo showing, is that an integrated headphone/amp combo? If so, who makes it?

mb quart 85 utilize the float frame, similar with jecklin float. it's looks dorky when wearing though :D

the bottom picture is toshiba hr 810, released under brand aurex. it's back-electret headphone. they put the transformers into the plug. so it could be use to normal headphone jack.otherwise they would need some adapter/energizer box just like stax
HR-810-5.jpg

there is an OEM of toshiba hr 810, rotel rh 930
s-l1000.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back