Grado Fan Club!
May 4, 2016 at 9:22 AM Post #31,846 of 65,621

thanks John. So would you say the he6 is more transparent than the he1000?

Actually what the heck I'm I talking about I've never even heard the he1000 but I've heard the edition x...

It Had some nice things about them, but I really missed the liveliness and transparency of something likes grados, I'm hoping the he6 bridges the gap between the two sounds...

Yes, after some careful listening in response to your question,min would say that the HE -6 is just a bit more transparent than the HE-1000. It seems even more transparent because the stronger bass if the HE1000 gives the appearance of less high frequency transparency, but if you compare the two on music that does not have bass, the HE-6 is just a little bit more transparent. The PS1000 is more transparent still, easily.

Thank you Sir, i appreciate you taking the time to do this and sharing with us. If I ever get my hands on an he6 I'll report back my findings. I had never looked at the he6 because of the amp requirements, but not that I have a vintage receiver i feel confident it can power it, so now I'm considering a pair.

Yeah, I think you hit the nail on the head, for the price of vintage receivers, why waste money on other SS solutions when you can power anything with these bad boys.

Then grab a nice tube amp for the tubey sound and one should be all set .

When I get my own audio room , this will be the direction that I am heading....even $300 for a nice vintage receiver , then only speding needed will be on tubes :D

Can't wait to hear your findings with the receiver and HE-6

I got my pioneer sx780 for $60 at an estate sale. I bought it for speakers so I hadn't really tried the headphone out, we'll I did once when I first got it but it sounded like crap with whatever can I had plugged into it.

Not till the other day that Jay posted asking opions on vintage receivers did I try again. This time I plugged in the ps1000, by God it sounded pretty good but a bit bloated... aha, the damned loudness switch was on! :D
I turned it off and put the bass and treble knobs in the middle and voila, the damn thing sounds very good! It certainly didn't hang it's head in shame next to the Gs-1 or the Mad Ear+ HD, no sir!

Oh, I forgot to mention, I had tried the headphone out before I gave it a thorough cleaning. I sprayed de-oxit contact cleaner in the headphone jack and then plugged in the jack a few times in and out and in and out and also rotated it back in forth while it was in there. :wink: :D
So I'm thinking maybe it just needed some cleaning cause it sure was filthy form just sitting in the same place for god knows how many years!

May 4, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #31,847 of 65,621
Can anyone suggest a better amp than the Little Dot 1+ to pair up with my Grado SR325is?  I have swapped out the tubes to Voshkod 6ZH1P EF95 from the stock Chinese ones and also changed the op-amp to a OPA2107 and still remain a bit disappointed with the sound. Although it sounds transparent etc, it doesn't have that sense of musical involvement I get when I plug into my Audiolab 8000LX integrated amp.

With the Audiolab, there's more bass and everything sounds great, not thin like the Little Dot 1+.  The reason I ask is because the Audiolab is powerful so the volume control is only a fraction off zero for the Grado's to be loud!

Sources used are:

Rega P3, Denon DL110
Pioneer N50 Network player
HRT MusicStreamer II USB DAC

I really love my Grado's and want to keep them, not swap them for something else...

May 4, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #31,848 of 65,621
  Can anyone suggest a better amp than the Little Dot 1+ to pair up with my Grado SR325is?  I have swapped out the tubes to Voshkod 6ZH1P EF95 from the stock Chinese ones and also changed the op-amp to a OPA2107 and still remain a bit disappointed with the sound. Although it sounds transparent etc, it doesn't have that sense of musical involvement I get when I plug into my Audiolab 8000LX integrated amp.

With the Audiolab, there's more bass and everything sounds great, not thin like the Little Dot 1+.  The reason I ask is because the Audiolab is powerful so the volume control is only a fraction off zero for the Grado's to be loud!

Sources used are:

Rega P3, Denon DL110

I really love my Grado's and want to keep them, not swap them for something else...

What is your budget...to get true tube amp and not a hybrid, you will need to spend a bit of cash...well worth it IMO.....there are other hybrid amps to try, other than the LD1+ though....so there are many options.

May 4, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #31,849 of 65,621
  - Sold the 325is to get another modded 325is chromies (had real leather headband and reterminated jack).

The 325x come with leather headbands. 
smile.gif

Quote:
  Can anyone suggest a better amp than the Little Dot 1+ to pair up with my Grado SR325is?  

If its a "tube" amp your looking for check out the Woo Audio WA6/Mapletree Audio Design Ear+HD. If you want another "hybrid" amp check out the Schiit Lyr-2.

May 4, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #31,850 of 65,621

Sources used are:

Rega P3, Denon DL110

I used to own a Ming-Da MC-66 amplifier, and it was the most bass-heavy amp that i've tried on the Grado 325i, if that´s what you want.

May 4, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #31,851 of 65,621

Sources used are:

Rega P3, Denon DL110

What is your budget...to get true tube amp and not a hybrid, you will need to spend a bit of cash...well worth it IMO.....there are other hybrid amps to try, other than the LD1+ though....so there are many options.

The 325x come with leather headbands. 
smile.gif

If its a "tube" amp your looking for check out the Woo Audio WA6/Mapletree Audio Design Ear+HD. If you want another "hybrid" amp check out the Schiit Lyr-2.

my sentiments exactly 

May 4, 2016 at 7:48 PM Post #31,852 of 65,621
  NOS means Never On Sale from an authorized dealer due to defects. They are sold by unauthorized dealers from overseas. 
biggrin.gif

Totally kidding!

NOS-New Old Stock  
BNIB-Brand New In Box

And yet, to a car guy like myself, NOS stands for Nitrous Oxide System.
wink.gif

The key word here is (usually)..i don't think any of the metal back grado considered (lightweight)..but not annoying heavy

Ever since I've owned my PS1000, my neck has been getting 1/2'' shorter every year.

I did the math, and at this rate, 3 years from now, my PS1000 will be resting on my collar bone.
eek.gif

Fear not!, Vader has adressed the problem, ''Grado style'', so, as of now, the new PS1000, will come with a neck brace.
biggrin.gif

May 4, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #31,853 of 65,621
  new toy

everything works (except a couple of lights) just needs some cleaning

At last, all of my Marantz praising finally payed off, I am proud of you, grasshopper!
beerchug.gif

So, how does it sound?

May 4, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #31,854 of 65,621
Mate, did you received the rs2e demo in the end? Or did you already post thoughts about them weeks ago and I was just not here when you did it?
What do you think of them compared to your 325?

May 4, 2016 at 11:57 PM Post #31,855 of 65,621

Mate, did you received the rs2e demo in the end? Or did you already post thoughts about them weeks ago and I was just not here when you did it?
What do you think of them compared to your 325?

No I have not received it yet... After 3 times I don't bother asking no more. Damn. 

May 5, 2016 at 7:37 AM Post #31,856 of 65,621

At last, all of my Marantz praising finally payed off, I am proud of you, grasshopper!
beerchug.gif

So, how does it sound?

sounds great, everything needs cleaning, i'm going to open her up and she how she looks on the inside, and do a little cleaning 

May 5, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #31,858 of 65,621
  sounds great, everything needs cleaning, i'm going to open her up and she how she looks on the inside, and do a little cleaning 

Marantz from the 70's are great headphone amps, plus a whole lot more, and they can also be, absolutely free!

I payed $150 for a mint 2220B, I had it for two years, and sold it for $150, cost of ownership, $0.00. Talk about a MAJOR no brainer.
L3000.gif

May 5, 2016 at 11:02 PM Post #31,859 of 65,621
Guys got the iGe today. First impression: much brighter than the iGi from my memory. Much closer to the 325i for somewhat drier mids and lots of treble energy.
Will get back in details later. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back