Grado Fan Club!
May 18, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #24,871 of 65,687
  I am not positive, but I think Jay may be able to comment, I think he owned this amp.

Thanks, looks like I am going to give one a shot, the price was too good to pass up.

yep, had it, its a great little amp, fun too, you can roll a lot of tubes
i never was able to listen to the ps1k with the mkiii, but the rs1i, and the 225e were great 

May 18, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #24,872 of 65,687

yep, had it, its a great little amp, fun too, you can roll a lot of tubes
i never was able to listen to the ps1k with the mkiii, but the rs1i, and the 225e were great 

Thanks Jay, the one I have coming is set up with Voskhods, I have it for a "trial" to see if I like the amp. I am looking forward to trying it out with the PS1k and K7XX's.

May 18, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #24,873 of 65,687
Thanks Jay, the one I have coming is set up with Voskhods, I have it for a "trial" to see if I like the amp. I am looking forward to trying it out with the PS1k and K7XX's.

those Russian tubes a some of the best

May 18, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #24,874 of 65,687

haha. I think most of us are old farts! I might be the youngest from this elite group of mischiefs and I'm 38! Also, it helps when you've been around for awhile accumulating gear. I think many folks have at least $2000 - $3000 worth of gear and it comes a point when they decide to sell many gears in favor of a few pieces of nicer gear.
wink_face.gif

I'm 52.  Today!

(and sometimes I wish I only had 2 to 3K in my gear.  Wait a minute.....naaaah.  Never mind)

Happy birthday, Scott.

I hear you.....i think i have spent about $900 in the last couple of months on tubes  
tongue.gif

My biggest fear is that I will die and my wife will sell all of my gear for what i told her i have in it!  
eek.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

May 18, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #24,875 of 65,687
Happy birthday, Scott.

I hear you.....i think i have spent about $900 in the last couple of months on tubes  :p

My biggest fear is that I will die and my wife will sell all of my gear for what i told her i have in it!  :eek:

:D                                             :D                                           :D

Will you give me a heads up when you aren't feeling well?:smiling_imp:

May 18, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #24,876 of 65,687
  Happy birthday, Scott.

I hear you.....i think i have spent about $900 in the last couple of months on tubes  
tongue.gif

My biggest fear is that I will die and my wife will sell all of my gear for what i told her i have in it!  
eek.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

That was so wrong, it's right!

May 18, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #24,878 of 65,687

haha. I think most of us are old farts! I might be the youngest from this elite group of mischiefs and I'm 38! Also, it helps when you've been around for awhile accumulating gear. I think many folks have at least $2000 - $3000 worth of gear and it comes a point when they decide to sell many gears in favor of a few pieces of nicer gear.
wink_face.gif

I'm 52.  Today!

(and sometimes I wish I only had 2 to 3K in my gear.  Wait a minute.....naaaah.  Never mind)

beerchug.gif

54, had big equipment, divorced, didn't have much left, remarried to an Angel, and rebuilding my system.

Somebody on another thread (yes I have a wandering eye:flushed:) recommended this site on the loudness wars and compression.
http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list/3

Listening to Paul Simon's Graceland on my PS1k, a fantastically recorded album, and I am finally old enough to understand what Paul is singing about (yes a slow learner)!

I went through a divorce also some years ago. Hell, I didn't realize how unhappy I was that last year of that relationship. I didn't even realize I had stop listening to music altogether, that was pretty bad!

On another note, I started listening to Paul Simon recently, really great stuff! I love this track (especially the intro)

Originally Posted by whirlwind /img/forum/go_quote.gif

tongue.gif

eek.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

haha!

I recently got in a big discussion over this with the missus. I think she saw one of my little lists I left laying around where I tallied up some gear and what I was looking to sell it for. She brought up the whole "what if you die and I have to sell your stuff!! I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT IT'S WORTH!!!?
mad.gif
"

May 18, 2015 at 10:29 PM Post #24,879 of 65,687
  I think volume has a lot to do with it as well.  The GS series seems to be designed for low to moderate volume.  I personally found they sounded best under 80 dB, with 75dB being a sweet spot.  Louder than that, and things got wonky with them.

Hmmm... I have to ask, what were you powering the GS1K with when you came to that conclusion? When I last auditioned a GS1000e, I was using my NAD D 1050 and I cranked it up - LOUD - and it sounded absolutely fantastic. So much so, that the GS1Ke tops my short-list of next set of cans.

Just curious...

May 18, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #24,880 of 65,687
As far as volume goes, I do think I do tend to have a general sweet spot for each headphone, fortunatelly Grados don't need really high volumes to sound their best. For example the Beyer T1 is a headphone that I always gravitate to very high volume (their sweet spot) and while they are very enjoyable, I come out of a listening session fatigued and like I should take a break for a couple of days!

May 19, 2015 at 12:08 AM Post #24,881 of 65,687
54, had big equipment, divorced, didn't have much left, remarried to an Angel, and rebuilding my system.

Somebody on another thread (yes I have a wandering eye:flushed:) recommended this site on the loudness wars and compression.

Listening to Paul Simon's Graceland on my PS1k, a fantastically recorded album, and I am finally old enough to understand what Paul is singing about (yes a slow learner)!

It might iterrest you to know that the Devil can take many forms, including the form of an Angel, ask me how I know.
evil_smiley.gif

May 19, 2015 at 5:17 AM Post #24,883 of 65,687

Happy birthday, Scott.

tongue.gif

eek.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

Ha!  

Only on head-fi would a guy get so much support  
tongue.gif

May 19, 2015 at 5:22 AM Post #24,884 of 65,687
Quote:
Originally Posted b
  Quote:y wormsdriver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wink_face.gif

I'm 52.  Today!

beerchug.gif

I went through a divorce also some years ago. Hell, I didn't realize how unhappy I was that last year of that relationship. I didn't even realize I had stop listening to music altogether, that was pretty bad!

On another note, I started listening to Paul Simon recently, really great stuff! I love this track (especially the intro)

Originally Posted by whirlwind /img/forum/go_quote.gif

tongue.gif

eek.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

haha!

I recently got in a big discussion over this with the missus. I think she saw one of my little lists I left laying around where I tallied up some gear and what I was looking to sell it for. She brought up the whole "what if you die and I have to sell your stuff!! I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT IT'S WORTH!!!?
mad.gif
"

If it makes you feel any better, my wife opened the box that I bought from you a couple of weeks ago.

I came home from work and there sat the headphones on the table......opened.

May 19, 2015 at 5:32 AM Post #24,885 of 65,687
  If it makes you feel any better, my wife opened the box that I bought from you a couple of weeks ago.

I came home from work and there sat the headphones on the table......opened.

hahaha, oh man I'm glad my wife hasn't done that to me in a long time! I do catch some looks from her sometimes. She can spot a different (new) headphone on my head from a mile away!

Btw, that little list I had tallied up was over $4k. That wasn't including what I plan to keep, like the Ps1k, Rs1, GS-1, Mad Ear+ and the Concero HP!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back